Bad Etiquette?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If your club has a rule that says "Practising on any part of the course with more than two balls is prohibited." then that means you can practice as long as you don't use more than two balls right?

That being the case, while playing a round with a mate, if you have finished a hole and there is no one behind you, is it bad etiquette to drop your ball where you had previously putted from and have another go at it (once)?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If your club has a rule that says "Practising on any part of the course with more than two balls is prohibited." then that means you can practice as long as you don't use more than two balls right?

That being the case, while playing a round with a mate, if you have finished a hole and there is no one behind you, is it bad etiquette to drop your ball where you had previously putted from and have another go at it (once)?

Not bad etiquette at all. As long as you aren't holding anyone up (and this includes the mate you're playing with) I'd say carry on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Isn't this allowed in the rules anyway..?
As long as you don't hold up play you can practice putting on the completed hole...or I may be imagining it....
If it's in the rules then its hard to be classed as poor etiquette.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
nope...not bad etiquette at all. Know a few people that do it, myself included. If not holding anyone up, and there may be a small wait. I'll hit a few putts on the green just played, from different angles

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Not bad etiquette but seems pointless to me, the hole is over and you really aren't learning anything to carry forward.
I disagree. If I've missed a putt I sometimes try it again, knowing the borrow, to find out if I misread the borrow or didn't hit the putt on the line I intended. Often, this is helpful on the following holes. When having a casual few holes with a friend we often replay chips & other shots if we fancy it.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I disagree. If I've missed a putt I sometimes try it again, knowing the borrow, to find out if I misread the borrow or didn't hit the putt on the line I intended. Often, this is helpful on the following holes. When having a casual few holes with a friend we often replay chips & other shots if we fancy it.

Your prerogative matey. If I miss a putt, I forget about it and move on after a quick and quiet expletive if it was inside 4 feet.

G

guest100718

It's fine. I'll some times chuck another ball down and play a shot again.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Seriously!? Who follows this rule???? You can't practice on your own course? I don't think so!!!!! I often three or four balls down when a certain shot doesn't go to plan, and again, and again. I don't take divots so I'm not damaging the same part of the course (which is what the rule is there for).
Practice away!!!!!!! What they gonna do?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Seriously!? Who follows this rule???? You can't practice on your own course? I don't think so!!!!! I often three or four balls down when a certain shot doesn't go to plan, and again, and again. I don't take divots so I'm not damaging the same part of the course (which is what the rule is there for).
Practice away!!!!!!! What they gonna do?

We have that rule & a couple of members have been warned. If they repeat it they will be suspended / chucked out.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. Here's what happened to me yesterday. I went out early with a mate. When we got to the last my mates ball somehow defied gravity and stayed on the bank to the left of the green. He hit his shot which I thought he'd played quite well but it ended in the fringe on the other side of the green. After we'd holed out we went back to where he'd hit is shot and discussed how it should best be played. Since there was no-one behind I put my ball down and hit a putt. As we're watching my ball a fella on the patio chirps up...

him: "Nor practicing on the course"
Me: "I beg your pardon?"
Him: "It's not a practice round"
Me: "Actually it kind of is"
Him: "You aren't allowed to practice on the course"
Me: "Actually I am, and there's no-one behind us so we aren't doing any harm"
Him: "It has nothing to do with doing harm"
Me: "What does it have to do with then"
Him: It's basic etiquette, you don't practice on the course"
Me: "Well since the rules say I can, and I'm not holding anyone up, I don't see the problem?"
Him: The problem is it's bad etiquette, you just don't do it"

At this point I decided I didn't need an argument so just said "whatever" and walked off with him shouting something I didn't hear after me.