Backswing

PPE

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been trying a new take away recently (no not a new Pizza outlet!) where instead of the club, arms and hips all moving in one motion, I have kept the hips quiet until the club reaches 8 o'clock then turn the hips (got this from Lee Westwood). Additionally I have noticed that at the top of my swing the club was coming across the line, I have therefore adopted the 'holding a tray' at the top of the swing with my right hand.

With all of the above I am hitting my irons lovely, however I'm SNAP HOOKING my driver!!

Any ideas?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
To snap hook it the face must be well closed so chances are your going at it too early from the top and as a result not turning properly either. If you turn properly the face lags behind, more open, so (ironically) you have to turn more left to stop the ball going left.

PPE

Head Pro
Visit site
To snap hook it the face must be well closed so chances are your going at it too early from the top and as a result not turning properly either. If you turn properly the face lags behind, more open, so (ironically) you have to turn more left to stop the ball going left.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean not turning properly through the ball on the downswing and clearling the hips at impact?

Previously I used to REALLY shorten my backswing, which gave me a lot more control and straight/touch of draw, which I suppose cleared the hips quicker?

I actually thought that my shoulders were really open at impact, could this be another reason for snap hooking?

PPE

Head Pro
Visit site

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean not turning properly through the ball on the downswing and clearling the hips at impact?

Previously I used to REALLY shorten my backswing, which gave me a lot more control and straight/touch of draw, which I suppose cleared the hips quicker?

I actually thought that my shoulders were really open at impact, could this be another reason for snap hooking?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You can hook with open or closed shoulders, open is when the right shoulder comes thru high (the top half of the body is turning too flat and too 'left') closed is when the hips don't turn and the hands are allowed to roll closed in the downswing. A hook is harder to fix than a slice as SOMETHING is making the club close, normally is not making a proper hip turn that allows the club head/arms to outrace the turn and then roll closed 'around' your body.