backspin on driver

lucan

Club Champion
Visit site
i recently attended a ping golf fitting day. to compare my current g20 driver to the g25 the stats for my g20 said i was not putting enough back spin on the ball witch was costing me a lot of distance.
with the g25 in the + position i gained a extra 8 yards carry but still not enough back spin.
as the range balls were poor qaulity i was curious would a better qaulity bll solve this prolem i currently use srixon ad333.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
AD333 is normally an 'adequate' ball with 'adequate' spin.

Looks like you may have have more of a swing speed issue. Did you get any numbers for Swing speed?

Trying to do this sort of thing with range balls is extremely dodgy, imo, though as they are designed to only go a short distance.

What loft is your Driver? What flex shaft? How far to you normally hit it?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you should never be fitted for clubs using range balls. restricted spin, restricted distance and low compression. You should always use proper golf balls to see the flight properly, or alternatively, be fitted using a launch monitor like Trackman or Flightscope.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lots of variables to be honest. Best (and cheapest) suggestion would be to try a couple of 'spinier' balls to see if this helps. However, don't forget that any side spin (slice/hook) will also be exaggerated with these balls.

The more expensive options would be to go and get properly fitted for a shaft which can help you get the ball in the air a little more. Nothing wrong whatsoever with the driver, but might not be the correct shaft for you.

Final suggestion would be to look at how you're actually hitting the ball. Whether or not you're catching it on the up as would usually be correct for a driver, or hitting down on it like you would an iron. Mark Crossfield has a pretty good video which demonstrates a big loss in difference for just changing the angle of attack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrbiWGHftgA

Like I said, many variables, but knowing more info about your shafts / swing speed / angle of attack could help?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
more loft/fitted shaft = sorted!

the reason being I am very low spin with driver and when at the TM fitting day I was in the low 1000's with my own and to start with on the R1, cranked up the loft to 12 degree, a few shaft changes and bang it was much better. I am now averaging 250 with a moderate swing speed even had a few bombs to around 280! (dry fairways and a bit of run :p )

Or go with a driver designed for more spin like a K series from ping.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
i recently attended a ping golf fitting day. to compare my current g20 driver to the g25 the stats for my g20 said i was not putting enough back spin on the ball witch was costing me a lot of distance.
with the g25 in the + position i gained a extra 8 yards carry but still not enough back spin.
as the range balls were poor qaulity i was curious would a better qaulity bll solve this prolem i currently use srixon ad333.

this isn't a ball issue - and even though it would make a small practical difference it's not about 'quality' 'cos some are designed to given even less backspin from a driver than your current ball!

what you have posted screams loft as the solution - it will increase both the launch angle and the backspin (to any ball)

however I would have thought that the fitter would have pointed that out; it's normal for them to highlight a statistic and offer a solution. As foxholer points out, if your swing speed increased then, if everything else stayed the same, your backspin element would increase - but that's a big 'if' (the first one!).

edit - ah, posted at same time as those pearls of wisdom from G1BB0