Back to it

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all.
I'm just coming back into the game after 2 years off following the birth of my first child. I was a high handicapper, typically 95-115 a round, so a little nervous coming back to the game after such a long break. I've kept up with regular games of squash at a high level so hand-eye and fitness is there. Any tips for me coming back into the game?
I was thinking a few sessions at the driving range would be a good start... or is there no replacement for a late season round to kick things off?
Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi all.
I'm just coming back into the game after 2 years off following the birth of my first child. I was a high handicapper, typically 95-115 a round, so a little nervous coming back to the game after such a long break. I've kept up with regular games of squash at a high level so hand-eye and fitness is there. Any tips for me coming back into the game?
I was thinking a few sessions at the driving range would be a good start... or is there no replacement for a late season round to kick things off?
Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.

I would invest in one or two refresher lessons and make sure there are no nasty gremlins in the swing

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Get out and have a knock about just to see how things are first, then decide if lessons would be appropriate...

Lessons aren't everyone's cuppa, I much prefer to work things out for myself having never really been a lesson type of guy, at school or otherwise, just can't get me head around being told how to do something !...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd do a range session just to see if the ball goes in a forward direction when hit. I'd then, if all is well, have a few rounds on the course to see what is needing work on and then book a lesson or two to improve. Good luck!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My swing was so bad I took the whole summer off for lessons and practice. was thinking of a membership this year but would have been pointless with the little time I have anyway.

My tot is past two now so it is getting so that I can do more.

Next year is my new membership year too, the lessons helped and I hope to be back in competitions in the spring.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just hit the driving range first, then maybe do a 9-hole round before launching straight into an 18, if you're worried about racking up a huge score and being there all day. No need to chuck 40-50 quid on a lesson when you don't even know what you're working with, in my opinion. If the driving range and 9-hole round goes completely horribly, then do a lesson after that.

7255carl

Club Champion
www.loweryourhandicap.siterubix.com
Hi YorkshireStu

I am at the other end of the break, I have just had an injury that is going to sideline me for maybe six months :confused: which is why I joined the forum, but if you are just returning I would suggest as some of refresher lessons, and try to perhaps have a specific short game lesson as that's where a lot of the feel is lost after a break from the game.

Keep us posted on your progress

Carl