back/muscle strain... advice needed

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
not going to the quacks as pointless, wont be playing golf either but, I have to work and my job is physical so need some tips/advice to a) minimize pain and b) heal as quickly as possible.

Never suffered with any back or muscular injuries in that area tbh. By the 18th yesterday my lower back was agony. Drove home and when I got out of the car I wasn't able to stand up straight. Still can't today. I have no area that is sore to touch per se, but, if I press my stomach in my lower back aches/hurts like hell (wierd or what). Touching my toes is fine but trying to straighten up is agony.

I am assuming I must have just tweaked something. Is ice/heat the best way? I will get some anti-inflammatories tomoz aswell.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Actually, going to your GP should be beneficial. He/She will be able to tell you what sort of injury/condition it is and, maybe, the best/fastest way to recover. If necessary/desired, he/she should also be able to sign you off temporarily too. Neither you nor your company should consider this shirking as it;s likely to be in both party's best long-term interest!

Anti-inflams should help anyway. Heat rub may be worth trying. I made a richard of myself after tearing a muscle lifting bucket of concrete, thinking it was more than that. I spent 3 nights 'sleeping' on the floor in pain before heading to the doc and getting instant relief with some heat!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you know of a good one head to the Physio ( Cant remember if you need referral from GP ), that's what I've done in the past and indeed got an apointment tomorrow morning for ongoing treatment to my back /lower shoulder. Bit of ultra sound and deep tissue massage and she gives me exercises to do inbetween, feeling loads better.
Also have very physical job ;)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Done my back years ago Gibbo, my advice, get the the GP and get a referral to a physio. Back injuries need movement and stretching to heal, but in specific ways for the injury. Physio would be able to give you an exercise plan that will get you back to normal a lot quicker.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dont know what job you do or how long you have done it? Or how old you are? But could this be wear and tire? If it is it will be a recurring thing. But you must get to the Doc's. Ok us men are the worsest for not going. I am the last person to tell you to go with my record. But please go see him, get it sorted. Before anything else/worsens happens.

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
18 years playing rugby in the front row of the scrum gave me plenty of experience with back pains. After a match on Saturday it was Tuesday night training before I could straighten up properly!

I found doctors next to useless. My tried and trusted treatment was hot bath each evening, it seemed to be the only thing that worked. Haven't had any back problems since retiring from rugby in 1982:whoo:.

Linda

Hacker
Visit site
I use Ibuleve which is an awesome anti inflamatory. The pharmacist also recommended deep heat used in conjunction with Nurofen plus when I pulled a muscle in my leg a few weeks back. Hope you are feeling better soon.

bogside84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a guy who suffered for years with back pain and eventually had to go for an operation I found the best thing at the time was 10 min. of ice every hour trapped in a towel. If you notice all sports men and women when injured the first thing they do is to get ice on it to help with inflamation where as years ago it was all about heat and rubs.I hope this helps over the years I spent a lot of money.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regular hot baths help a little. I had one earlier but unfortunately there was enough hot water for a proper scalding bath but it took some of the pain from my shoulder.