Audiobooks

RichA

Visit site
I don't think there's an audiobook thread already.
Following on from a recommendation of the Bob Mortimer - And Away book, I've really got into them.
I spend a lot of time in the car and on trains and my attention span with written books has dropped recently, so I'm finally getting some value for money from an Audible subscription.
I enjoyed David Mitchell - Back Story, even though most of his work has never interested me.
Mostly, I'm working my way through David Sedaris's diaries, which are brilliant.
Any other recommendations please?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've been using it for a couple of years for similar thing, i have a one hour commute each way and find listening to an audiobook (that doesn't require full attention) is a great way to not get stressed in traffic and makes me more tolerant of the Q jumpers etc

So I go for fiction books like Clancy's stuff or the Grey Man novels, Sharpe, Jack Higgins etc etc. Tough thing is finding books that last a good amount of hours

I don't buy extra credits so my 7.99 gets me one book per month whether its 5 hours long or 35 hours so ideally I want 2 books per month so I just revisit my library and listen to one of the older ones again until its credit day

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I went for walks when on a 10,000 steps a day challenge I found that listening to audiobooks makes the walk more pleasant and actually encouraged me to do the walk. I still use the books as an excuse for a half hour walk at lunchtime.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
So much depends on what you enjoy. If you are using Audible, it's worthwhile looking out for the sales. I got the complete George Orwell collection for £3.99. Also the same for the complete Sherlock Holmes selection. Great value for hours of listening.
I try to vary mine so my mixture may seem a bit eclectic to some:
- The complete George Orwell collection. Can be heavy going but worth it if you are willing to persist. It's actually worrying how novels like 1984 and Animal Farm are still pertinent to this day.
- The Churchill War diaries - gives an interesting insight into the thinking and politics behind the events.
- The Complete P.G. Wodehouse Volumes 1 & 2 - How could you not? Funny to listen to, and quite nice light listening.
- Napoleon the Great - The biography of Napoleon Bonaparte.
- The Long Earth - I'm a big Terry Pratchett fan but never caught up with the Long Earth Series, so I'm just starting that now.

Also, use BBC Sounds. There are some great documentaries, comedies, plays, etc. on there. I also use that a lot.