Arranging a match play game

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing serious but thought I'd reach out. We are into the third round of our knockout winter match play and have drawn the club champion and his partner. Now the window to play the matches was 18th of December to the 15th of January. As it xmas we've been busy and not been in touch with the other party. We are not free now until the new year so will only have 2 weekends free to play. Not a problem for us as we are both free. My question is basically is there a rule or etiquette for who should contact who? I ask as they've made no contact with us before hand and trying to avoid people saying they've no time etc.

Sorry for the long windedness!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless you competition rules lay down the protocol for who contacts who it's generally the responsibility of both teams equally. I always contact as early as possible as it stops me from getting the "we can play at 4 o clock in the morning on the last Thursday" nonsense, and should it occur there is a chance of getting the club Secretary involved to sort things out

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Chris, that's what I thought but had a niggle that I'd heard something different like the home pair don't have to etc. Email sent last night anyway so should hopefully hear soon, like you I usually get in touch as soon as I know who we are facing to stop any wriggling!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing serious but thought I'd reach out. We are into the third round of our knockout winter match play and have drawn the club champion and his partner. Now the window to play the matches was 18th of December to the 15th of January. As it xmas we've been busy and not been in touch with the other party. We are not free now until the new year so will only have 2 weekends free to play. Not a problem for us as we are both free. My question is basically is there a rule or etiquette for who should contact who? I ask as they've made no contact with us before hand and trying to avoid people saying they've no time etc.

h
at my club whoever is on the bottom of the draw is obliged to contact ops.
this stops the "we were waiting for you to contact us "as it puts the onus on one player or team.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Similar at my place. Top contacts bottom and provides minimum 3 dates, with at least one date being a weekend

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Get your Committee to set down the rule in anticipation of next year's KO comps.

Wabinez's is pretty standard.

"Top contacts bottom and provides minimum 3 dates, with at least one date being a weekend"

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you should make contact as soon as the draw is made. Doesn't matter if you are drawn top or bottom imo.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We now use the IG function and everybody can indicate (and maintain their availability for the match. Makes it simple for the committee to make any necessary decisions.

To many years organising knockouts has taught me that whilst most enter to play, there are always people who enter to win, and will manipulate any fixed rules to their advantage.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
We now use the IG function and everybody can indicate (and maintain their availability for the match. Makes it simple for the committee to make any necessary decisions.

To many years organising knockouts has taught me that whilst most enter to play, there are always people who enter to win, and will manipulate any fixed rules to their advantage.
Which is great if everyone in the KO is on line. In parts of Devon the only thing on a line is the washing.

Have it comp rules with copy displayed with entry forms.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah.
I think most O/L ones can.

But some clubs must have money to burn ;)

Not a money issue!

In principle it's a time issue (for committee); I've advocated for the last 30 years that committees should grow a pair and write the knockout rules on the basis of ' be adult, sort it out between yourselves, if you need an extension tell us early and advise when the match will be played etc etc then, critically, make it clear that if it isn't played you will make a decision as to what will happen!

Software is just a modern twist to facilitate things; even in Devon the club's terminal is available- but ringing round and using pencil and paper works fine.