Arise Sir Andy and Sir Mo

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's nice but I don't give honours any weight.

For some volunteers or hard working charity persons it's amazing recognition however. I feel it should be for them and not sports, to, entertainment stars and famous artists etc.

Hard to draw a line.

D

Deleted member 16999

Why only some Olympic Gold Medalists and not others?
Doesn't seem fair.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
It's nice but I don't give honours any weight.

For some volunteers or hard working charity persons it's amazing recognition however. I feel it should be for them and not sports, to, entertainment stars and famous artists etc.

Hard to draw a line.

Have to agree. I'm on here banging on about how great 'Sir' Andy is and how he's misunderstood but he summed it up himself. He's too young to be knighted. Wait till he's done and knight him then. He's not into the fame and glamour. He just wants to play tennis.

I feel knightoods are handed out too cheaply.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well done Murray and Mo

Really not sure on Jess Ennis, her achievements are very sub par compared to so many other amazing athletes we have. Dare I say being a pretty girl has got her more attention than she deserves, even if she did win an Olympic gold.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
What makes her head & shoulders above?

The fact that she made a damn sight better job of running the line than any of her male counterparts that I've seen. I've frequently called better decisions from the back of the stand than her male counterparts and been proved right by TV afterwards, whenever I disagreed with her decisions and could check on TV I was wrong. Sadly she had to be that much better to survive at that level.

Or are you just desperately trying to be PC?

I desperately try to be many things, but anyone who knows me knows that PC ain't one of them. I have no time for being PC for the sake of it whatsoever. Is that really the best defence you've got for your sexist claptrap?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The fact that she made a damn sight better job of running the line than any of her male counterparts that I've seen. I've frequently called better decisions from the back of the stand than her male counterparts and been proved right by TV afterwards, whenever I disagreed with her decisions and could check on TV I was wrong. Sadly she had to be that much better to survive at that level.

I desperately try to be many things, but anyone who knows me knows that PC ain't one of them. I have no time for being PC for the sake of it whatsoever. Is that really the best defence you've got for your sexist claptrap?

If she is genuinely better then fair enough,but personally I don't believe gender should come into it & personally I don't think she is any better than any of her other colleagues.
I'm happy to be corrected tho.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well done Murray and Mo

Really not sure on Jess Ennis, her achievements are very sub par compared to so many other amazing athletes we have. Dare I say being a pretty girl has got her more attention than she deserves, even if she did win an Olympic gold.

Seriously?

Her event was the Heptathlon - 7 events over 2 days , the toughest for the female athletes

And in her career she won 6 major titles including 3 World Titles plus another 8 medals

Yet you believe its about her looks ! Well that's one way to belittle the achievements of one of the best female Athletes the UK has seen if not the best

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Seriously?

Her event was the Heptathlon - 7 events over 2 days , the toughest for the female athletes

And in her career she won 6 major titles including 3 World Titles plus another 8 medals

Yet you believe its about her looks ! Well that's one way to belittle the achievements of one of the best female Athletes the UK has seen if not the best

I agree she's done superb. But Denise Lewis has done just as well IMO. I don't think she's got the extra recognition due to her looks.

More that they're given out more freely now.

Personally I'd rather they were given to the common person who does exceptional work. Not sports stars. And certainly not until the end of their career.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Never heard of her, so cannot comment.

Knighthoods and Dames seem to be handed out like Mars bars these days to sports and entertainment 'celebrities'.
Murray is far too young.

She's an assistant referee in the premier league.
Probably done refereeing in the women's game aswell.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The whole system exists just to make me annoyed every time they release a new batch of names. The sooner the whole system is scrapped the better 😬

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree she's done superb. But Denise Lewis has done just as well IMO. I don't think she's got the extra recognition due to her looks.

More that they're given out more freely now.

Personally I'd rather they were given to the common person who does exceptional work. Not sports stars. And certainly not until the end of their career.

Denise Lewis won an Olympic gold but didn't win a world title. Not knocking her achievements but they aren't on a par with Ennis. She did get an OBE though.

There are many different categories and many different reasons why people are given these awards. This includes 'common people who do exceptional work' and 'Sports Stars'. To be fair these sports stars do exceptional work as well. It takes years of dedication and hard work to be an international sports star. To be the best in the world is on another level and rightly deserves recognition.

Last edited: