Arghhhhh Tempo!

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why cant I control it out on the course! This has been a constant issue since I took up the game I just get quicker and quicker through the round and then have next to no balance...

Played twice since hurting my back and hit the range a couple of times where I pretty much just worked on holdinf the pose and getting my swing going again!

Does anyone else have this constant battle... Even though I have had many eureka moments about slowing it down... How can it keep happening and only when I get home do I realise I was actually swinging so so fast!

When will I bleeping learn!

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why cant I control it out on the course! This has been a constant issue since I took up the game I just get quicker and quicker through the round and then have next to no balance...

Played twice since hurting my back and hit the range a couple of times where I pretty much just worked on holdinf the pose and getting my swing going again!

Does anyone else have this constant battle... Even though I have had many eureka moments about slowing it down... How can it keep happening and only when I get home do I realise I was actually swinging so so fast!

Download a metronome app on your phone and when you practice have this on (I've used this through earphones).

You can soon get used to a beat tempo to help you.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

It is a tough one, but watch the pro's and take note of how they move, everything is so deliberate all round and never rushed. I always play so much better when I consciously try to slow myself, at the end of the day it is not a race but some days I feel as though I am racing round, my swing gets quicker and I always play badly. Then I wonder why I could not see it during the round!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I spoke to one of the best players at my old club about his short snappy tempo. I asked if he ever tried to smooth it out and he said he loses all timing when he tries to slow things down.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree it's really tough to incorporate into your game. When I did it I took up to two clubs more than I needed, which forced me not to hit so hard, as my strike improved I was able to go back to the correct club. Overall it took a fair time and hard work to improve my rhythm but was well worth the effort in the end.

What in reality happened was that I still had the original speed but it was at impact and not from the top, so an acceleration from the top

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
generally it will tend to happen because to however much of a degree, the arm swing is disconnected from the pivot, the body rotation, through trying to swing the arms 'alone' to create speed.

so folks tend to try to generate this club head speed by swinging the arms faster to swing the club head faster - this is kinda where it all falls down.
the arms & club can only move efficiently by being connected & taking their 'speed' from the legs, hips & crucially the upper body rotation.
often times this loss of tempo will happen as folks just concentrate on swinging the arms to create speed to impact. so not thinking of the turn/rotation through to the finish, so the finish becomes more of a tagged on afterthought rather than a natural continuation of the body's rotation. think of the destination of the swing as the finish position, not impact, & you get there through a turn back & a turn through.

often times helps just to focus as you play on making a rehearsal swing that combines the arms swing in sync with the body rotation. helps if you do that to a count in your head.
smooth takeaway & count, one as you start away ..... then as you start down count two, but match that one ..... two, to the turn of the body through the complete swing to finish, so not to an independent & fast swing of the arms alone to the ball.

you'll find if you practice making this count to the body rotation out loud to yourself on the driving range it should help you get more of a handle of your natural tempo, the speed that rotation functions at best for you.

most PGA pro's generally if you check when they swing you can count one .... away from the ball to .... two ... at the start of the downswing from the top, & whether that be with a putter, a 6i, or a driver the tempo of their one ... two will be pretty much the same throughout the bag.

in a connected swing motion your arms so the club can only move as fast & efficiently as the connected body rotation & sequence works.

lose that connection of the 'engine' of the body & you lose your tempo. rhythm & balance.
every individuals tempo is a little ways different, but what isn't different whether a slower tempo or a faster tempo, you can only move the club efficiently as fast as you can naturally rotate your body & arms in sync.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The problem you have is not enough control of the speed. I would have a small wager that Rory Mc has more speed than you but he can control it and apply it at the right time.
So I would suggest dont worry too much about the speed, but learn how to control it.

What often happens is the golfer is in too much hurry to start the downswing.
If you can control that transition by thinking SMOOTH rather than slow, you will keep most of your speed but increase your control
Dont think slow, think smooth.

This may help.........
Imagine you are playing in front of a crowd and right at the front is a very attractive lady.
Try and make the smoothest swing you can with a posy balanced finish. That will impress her. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My natural swing speed is quick. Probably too quick and I have to slow it to a blur. However it's natural and if I work consciously on slowing it all down I get everything out of synch and a host of issues arise. As Bob rightly says, I tend to work on "smooth" and make sure I stay still over the shot (I have a tendency to get quick and everything moves) while still swinging at a speed that works for me. I do have the tour temp app on my phone which does help at the range to just remind myself of the correct speed for my game and getting everything back in a nice smooth and together swing

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I couldn't think of any thing more off putting that trying to swing to a metronome beat, no matter what speed it was going.

Best method for me is to swing to the top ... slight pause , then continue with the swing.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
If my tempo goes ill go hit some balls with my feet together to bring everything back under control.

I also do a drill to encourage the body turn to complete the backswing rather than it become all arms.......

Set the club so it is horizontal to the ground - butt of the grip still at the ball, clubface toe to the sky. From there just turn shoulders, no "extras" from hands or arms, to complete a backswing and clip some balls away.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If my tempo goes ill go hit some balls with my feet together to bring everything back under control.

I also do a drill to encourage the body turn to complete the backswing rather than it become all arms.......

Set the club so it is horizontal to the ground - butt of the grip still at the ball, clubface toe to the sky. From there just turn shoulders, no "extras" from hands or arms, to complete a backswing and clip some balls away.

I'll second this. And then some. Best advice I was ever given.

We all have different tempo's, compare Nick Price to Fred Couples for example. It's only about controlling what is your natural instinct and using the swing you have to it's best ability. Agree with many that thinking 'smooth' can help.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hugely difficult. When I am hitting the ball well I am slow and smooth. When I am off I am swinging too quickly and my arms and body are out of sync. Tempo is everything to my game. Should be easy to solve in theory but then golf is easy in theory. It is the human element that makes it so difficult.

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Only just had chance to look at this and I really appreciate the replies... Sometimes when I don't have an idea of what the issue is I can lose interest in the game abit but this has made me want to hit the range again and look at a few of the things...

I think the comment about becoming unconnected has really hit home and I know for a fact I am trying to start the downswing too soon.

Thanks guys