Are your Club Competition Prizes awarded by Divisions??

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, for Honours Boards there'll be an over-all winner as well.... but for the money vouchers we have two divisions which are 'fixed' at upto H/cap 15& then above & the entry money for prizes kept in each division.
Unfortunately there will often be twice as many playing in the 2nd Division so that frequently a really outstanding performance in Div 1 will be rewarded with less winnings than a lesser performance in Div 2...... for me this cannot be right & equitable as everyone is in the same Competition even if they are competing for winnings within their division.... or am I on the wrong track.
A few queries if you use Divisions
1. Is your prize fund 'global' or kept in separate Divisions?
2. Are your Divisions 'fixed' or varied according to entry numbers?
3. Is it arranged so your 'Out-right' Comp Winner always get more than other Div winners?.. How?

Any other comments appreciated, of course.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
No divisions at all Dave. Top 4 out of the whole field get prizes.

Not really sure why you would have divisions. Handicaps should provide a level playing field.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have categories in some of our comps, cat1, cat2, etc but not set out the same as handicap categories from what I was told.
For instance, I scored well in a comp and won the cat 3 prize even though someone on a slightly lower handicap, but still what we'd call cat3, scored better than me if that makes sense.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
From memory (could be slightly out) we have ours pre-determined rather than prizes (vouchers) based on entries taken.
Sometimes the club coffers is up, sometimes it's down.

Overall winner £50

Division winner x 3 £40
Division R-Up x 3 £30
Division 3rd x 3 £20

For medals only there is a best gross of £20 or £30 (can't remember).

I can't remember exactly how the divisions are split but think it's up to 11, 12-18, 19+

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
No. We have 3/4 qualifying rounds for each of our main competitions. The qualifiers are split by 3 divisions (0-10, 11-15, 16+) and the top 3/4 each week in each qualify for the final. All entry fees are pooled and prizes awarded on the day for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, B/G, 4th in the final and the same structure but lesser value in the subsidiary (non finalists) held the same day. We take about 30% off the take to subsidise team hospitality, some other events, juniors etc but the format ensures a decent level of prizes. (usually £200 down to £50).

We recently looked at just having the top 9 or 12 qualifying instead of divisions but analysis showed that Division 3 would have been quite heavily disadvantaged. Higher handicappers are much less consistent and shoot more above their handicap on average.....hence their buffer zone being higher I suppose. So we left it as it was on the basis that as as everyone pays the same entry fees we should ensure there is an equal opportunity to compete for the prizes in the final.

Edit: the above covers most of the summer We do split into 2 divisions for the winter comps.

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No divisions at all Dave. Top 4 out of the whole field get prizes.

Not really sure why you would have divisions. Handicaps should provide a level playing field.

Aye you'd hope so, but a lot of our Cat 1 guys struggle to get 43 or 44pts or, in Medals, a net 64 or so... don't know why really :confused:
So there's not a lot to encourage them into the regular Comps, other than playing for a H/cap cut. Our Club's very short of Cat 1 & 2 players due in some part, I believe, to the lack of incentive in this direction not to mention that the 2's Club pays out in Divisions also..... can't have those 'good golfers' getting the 2's money from the 15+ H/cappers.... haha .... couldn't make it up...:rofl:

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
We typically have two or three divisions. Divisions aren't 'fixed' and depend on the size of the field as well as the hcp distribution.

There's prices for the first three in each division, as well as a price for best gross score.

D

Deleted member 21258

Normally 3 divisions :-

0-13
13-19
20 and to the sky

Don't know how the money is split, never bothered to look.:eek:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Medals are run in 2 divisions.... think the cut off between them is 18. We have a prize for the overall winner, then prizes for first an second in each division (same value) along with a Nearest the Pin.

All other comps are run without division. Prize fund and the depth that we pay out to is dependent upon entries.... for a large field we will pay out to 6th place.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have categories in some of our comps, cat1, cat2, etc but not set out the same as handicap categories from what I was told.
For instance, I scored well in a comp and won the cat 3 prize even though someone on a slightly lower handicap, but still what we'd call cat3, scored better than me if that makes sense.

That would have been because the cat 3 player that had a better score than you, would have finished in the overall prize places and got money that way.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
At my club Brancepeth Castle - we only have division for the Medals. Which is Div 1 (11 and below) and Div 2 (12 upwards) - I'm not quite sure what the splits are with the money. But personally I think if I play Div1 my money should go in div1 pool because that's who I'm competing against! Which is only fair!
I know the 2s club and Nearest the Pin is between everyone div1/div2 - which is fair enough.

For Honours board competitions everyone is in the same boat - best net wins in most or best gross in them comps.

DCB

Visit site
Must be old fashioned at my place. We have a handicap winner and a scratch winner for most comps. No Div 1,2 & 3 etc.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We don't for the reasons given in the original post.

Our fields aren't huge (50 -70 sort of thing) and when you look at it coldly it's generally more equitable to pay more places than to create division when it comes to any 'division of spoils'.

The issue of any non financial value to 'divisional winners' is more of an emotive one, and will normally come down to any spin of events. We have an annual event for that years competition winners (+Captain and past Captains) but divisional winners wouldn't qualify even if we had them!

Any 'winners' tend to have associated prizes which can again dilute and cost a lot of time and effort to manage/distribute. All needs to be considered.

Finally, never underestimate the power of the current system - it really needs to be a no brainer to set out with the intention to change such things and expect anything but problems implementing it; often from the strangest sources!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Week in week out we have three divisions. Payout depending on how
many is in the division. Being the recipient of £150 plus winnings you would think i
would say it is won under the right format but most of that was won in the buffer zone. Most of the big comps with names on the board are the big dogs. No one has any probs with the way our club runs it.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
From memory (could be slightly out) we have ours pre-determined rather than prizes (vouchers) based on entries taken.
Sometimes the club coffers is up, sometimes it's down.
surprised that members accept such a thing as the club making profit from the comps, I know you say they can also lose some but I'd be pretty sure they wouldn't continue the practise if they were losing money overall on this arrangement.