Are you gear proud?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve been looking around for a couple of clubs and the condition of some peoples clubs shocks me. Well looked after normally describes a club that looks like it’s been used to hit pebbles into the sea and a few chips refers to a typical white finished club with barely any paint finish left.

I’m by no means precious about my gear, but most of the stuff in finding is shocking.

RichA

Visit site
Agree. If I'm selling a club, there might be fair wear and tear but there will not be a spec of dirt on it.
Any eBay item that has photos that include the seller's knackered sofa, dirty laundry or cracked and weed covered patio in the background don't get bids from me.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My putter grip is well worn, due it’s 4th grip. My 5 wood has seen far better days, quite a while ago, but still does the job. The driver looks a little battered but is (surprisingly) good - 8.5* stiff shaft. My irons and 3 wood are virtually new.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My putter grip is well worn, due it’s 4th grip. My 5 wood has seen far better days, quite a while ago, but still does the job. The driver looks a little battered but is (surprisingly) good - 8.5* stiff shaft. My irons and 3 wood are virtually new.

If I had to pick faults, my 9i has a small scratch on the bottom and my 52* has a tiny dink in the leading edge.

I just get how peoples equipment gets in the condition it does.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve been looking around for a couple of clubs and the condition of some peoples clubs shocks me. Well looked after normally describes a club that looks like it’s been used to hit pebbles into the sea and a few chips refers to a typical white finished club with barely any paint finish left.

I’m by no means precious about my gear, but most of the stuff in finding is shocking.
Speaking of which, I saw this on Ebay yesterday described as "Slight wear on grip (see pic)"

grip2.PNG

Slight?? It's practically worn through!

D

Deleted member 29109

Not at all. They are tools to be used, not works of fine art.

That said, my clubs are well looked after. They are cleaned after every shot and the woods still have their head covers on. I don’t need to clean them after a round l, or before playing in a comp like many people seem to.

But, if I had to hit the ball off a gravel path I wouldn’t hesitate. Many moons ago I bought a set of custom Macgregor 1050s. The first round I played with them was in a comp and I faced exactly that situation. The option was take a drop into some conifers or play it. So I played it, and put some lovely scratches on the bottom and leading edge.
I also bent the shaft in the PW later in the round, against a tree on my follow through. I had a decent round going which at the time was more important than the shaft.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes definitely, I look at some peoples clubs & I just couldn't use them as they're chipped or have loads of dummy marks on their drivers. I'd just have to get a new club if I ever had the misfortune of putting a sky mark in my driver or 3 wood. I don't wash them all that regularly but I make sure I wipe the club face down after every shot from the grass/sand etc. to make sure it's clean & ready for my next shot with that club.

My irons are forged so they have the usual dings from bang chatter but I'm not going down the route of using iron head covers

If anyone ever asks to have a go with my driver I will say yes but let them know "if you sky it you buy it"

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
More than a bit concerned with the condition of my clubs. I like my stuff to be in nice condition
All clubs are about 5 years old and to look at them (without considering the model release) I'd say they look no more than 6 months old and I play weekly all year round
Cleaned after every use and washed after the round

I've had to replace headcovers due to humidity eating anything it finds but the clubs themselves are tip-top with light surface scratches only

I wont hit off a gravel path (even if leading club champs) I have a 'rock' club for any hard lies, which is very scored/battered

I don't care about resale value (I don't expect to sell them)

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree. If I'm selling a club, there might be fair wear and tear but there will not be a spec of dirt on it.
Any eBay item that has photos that include the seller's knackered sofa, dirty laundry or cracked and weed covered patio in the background don't get bids from me.
My clubs get wiped after each shot. They also get washed before most rounds. They are in great nick apart from the unavoidable marks from use.

However, my garden is full of weeds and my patio is a mess. I care about my clubs. I hate gardening.

D

Deleted member 23270

Yes I am. There are never any sky marks on my woods, my irons get wiped with a towel after every shot, my grips get changed regularly and given a scrub every few weeks. Can't stand looking down at a battered club.

Boomy

Visit site
Treat’em mean, but keep’em clean.

They’re not heirlooms, they are there to be used, but looked after along the way. I try to clean as I go, but every other week I give them a proper wash and dry.

*edit: it’s golf clubs I’m talking about.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
One thing I don't get when I comes to the condition of some people's clubs is bag rub on the shafts...what the ......is that all about.?
I've been playing 30 years and never had any shafts with bag rub..
How does it happen?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each of my wedges has a chunk out of it where I hit a stone in a bunker or a rock under grass that I couldn't see. These things happen, I'm not going to rush out and buy a new one every time it does - the club still works at the end of the day. I clean my clubs about three times a year I reckon, when they get exceptionally bad. In winter you clean them, one shot later they're caked in mud again so I don't see the point of going overboard with the cleaning. I have headcovers for driver, woods and putter, but my two hybrids I don't bother with them because they are about 8 years old now (and bought second hand) so they look pretty battered anyway. Plus the headcovers were a bit rubbish. Even when I do clean my irons, I mainly just clean the face since that impacts strike - it's not really to do with what they look like. As they're cavity backs it can be hard to clean the nooks and crannies, so as it doesn't really affect the golf I don't bother.

I think all of this means I'm not particularly 'gear proud' haha. As long as they work it's all good.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I clean my clubs after most shots but do forget from time to time - especially in summer when the ground is firmer. I keep my clubs clean because I like the aesthetic, not because of resale value.

Headcovers on Hybrid, Wood and Driver.

Driver does have some sky marks - annoying an M2 shows them up really well as the front edge is white! BUT, i've had the driver since I started playing just under 2 years ago and its been with me from my over 100 days down to my current level - so sky marks are accepted as I was learning! Never going to be perfect from the off!

Wedges are black.. so over time that has scuffed off but that doesnt bother me - they were a gift from my old man, I just wont buy black when I replace them.

Driver will be the next club I change, need something fitted next as it was an off the shelf purchase anyway.

D

Deleted member 1147

I try to keep them in decent order, with fairly regular post shot cleans...but I'm only one man, and can only produce so much spit!

My shoes on the other hand are a different matter. They needed a proper clean this weekend, as they were horrendous :eek:

RichA

Visit site
...However, my garden is full of weeds and my patio is a mess. I care about my clubs. I hate gardening.
Likewise, which is why I use the kitchen floor for eBay photos. I'm hoping that one day MrsA's neat freakery will extend to the garden. She hopes that mine will extend beyond the car and the golf clubs. We are inadvertently a bad 70s sitcom stereotype.