Are you a tackle tart ?

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Took my old 'Wilson MDS Fatshafts' out for a run on Friday and the first thing that struck me was how straight I was hitting them compared to my currant irons (Mizuno T-zoids) the second thing that caught my attention was the extra distance I had gained and how hard I was able to hit them without it all going 'Pete Tong' on me...

I am now considering putting the 'Fatties' back in the bag for a while but am reluctant too do so as my playing partners all have the latest gear (XR16 drivers/XR Pro irons etc) and will most likely 'extract the proverbial' for the entire round and + some I should think as well...

Would any of you guy's (if you found yourself in the same position) persevere with your 'flashy t.o.t.r. gear' or would you be happy to bare the brunt of all the urine extraction if it meant you got better results ?...

I probably already know what the answers are gonna be but I'm just interested in what others would do in my situation !...:thup:

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Give them some hammer with the old sticks! Nothing like beating your pp's that have the latest gear with something your confident with and hit well regardless of the age of it. I should know, my old man beats me every week with his biggest club being a 2 iron. Out drive him by 60-80 yards every hole. Doesn't make a difference, apart from it being massively frustrating. Get the fatties back in the bag!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I guess you're talking about the club's perceived target golfer rather than their age as I'd have thought that the t-Zoids were older the than the Fatshafts.

No surprising that you're hitting the Fatshafts better as they're an easier club to hit, game improvement if you like. I've tried my brothers old T-Zoids and they are definitely not an easy club to hit!

If there was an obvious difference in my scores in playing the Fatshafts over T-Zoids then I wouldn't be at all concerned what my PPs said. Just suggest that they look out for a set when you beat them. ;)

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I guess you're talking about the club's perceived target golfer rather than their age as I'd have thought that the t-Zoids were older the than the Fatshafts.

No surprising that you're hitting the Fatshafts better as they're an easier club to hit, game improvement if you like. I've tried my brothers old T-Zoids and they are definitely not an easy club to hit!

If there was an obvious difference in my scores in playing the Fatshafts over T-Zoids then I wouldn't be at all concerned what my PPs said. Just suggest that they look out for a set when you beat them. ;)

Yeah I think the t-zoids are 01/02, ive only been playing seriously for the last 2 or 3yrs and have been tinkering about with different drivers/irons etc most of that time but lately something has clicked so to speak, the zoids are beautiful to hit whereas the fatties are a bit clacky for my liking but the thing is I'm getting an extra 10-20yds with the fatties with a slight draw as opposed to a slight fade with the zoids, something I'm gonna have to mull over I suppose, better to be seen as an amateur and play like a seasoned golfer than to look like a seasoned golfer and hit like a 1st timer I spose !...:thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i would imagine there is also a loft difference between the two. There were some posts maybe 4/5 years ago about wilson FS, and i think they had very strong lofts from what i remember. The mizuno are more a blade with traditional loft.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The newest bits of kit in my bag is from around 2010-13 and the oldest from 2008 (my irons).

I don't really mind playing older gear but I bet newer kit would help me score better.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i would imagine there is also a loft difference between the two. There were some posts maybe 4/5 years ago about wilson FS, and i think they had very strong lofts from what i remember. The mizuno are more a blade with traditional loft.

Yes, I do get huge height out of the 'fatties' whereas the 'zoids' have a notably lower trajectory which is were I think I'm losing the majority of my distance from (due to air time an all that, or a distinct lack of it in the case of the Zoids) I'm getting (on average) 140-150 with the 'T-zoid 6i' whereas I'm getting somewhere around the 160-170 mark with the 'fatties 6i' (can be a touch more on more than the odd occasion) as long as I don't stick a duffer in there that is, think I'm gonna chuck the Wilsons back in the bag for a bit and see how it goes, I'll just have to learn to soak up the abuse I spose...

I have to admit I do like the swing weight and trajectory of the 'fatties' and atleast they'll have something else to talk about other than the latest hidiously expensive 'XR16 driver' they've just bought I spose (gets a bit boring by about the 3rd T :rolleyes:) anyway thanks for all your input, I'll let you know how it goes !...:thup:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The newest bits of kit in my bag is from around 2010-13 and the oldest from 2008 (my irons).

I don't really mind playing older gear but I bet newer kit would help me score better.

Not always, sometimes a good dollop of 'if it ain't broke then don't fix it' applies !...:thup:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not always, sometimes a good dollop of 'if it ain't broke then don't fix it' applies !...:thup:

I would agree 9/10 but I don't play enough really. I could do with a tad more forgiveness in the irons. A nice new set of Pings would be great!

I say to the OP whip out the old gear and beat em down!

Marty420

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had an original set of fat shaft irons when I got back into playing about 6 years ago, fantastic clubs. Sold them to a friend a while back and he loves them too. I'm not sure if the fatshafts actually make any difference.

Doesn't really matter how old, or what make the clubs are. If it works for you, use it. I still have an old Ben Sayers 'hand me down' driver from when I first played golf, take it to the range sometimes and still hit it well.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Technology has come along a fair bit but not as much as I think people would like to believe.
To be honest I think the main difference you are seeing is in the design of the clubs rather than the age of them. The Wilsons are designed to be more forgiving that the T-Zoids with a lower centre of gravity and that could be why you are seeing a difference as well.
I won one of our major comps with an old Yonex Cyberstar Powerbrid that I bought for £20 off ebay. I had a Hippo driver that would out hit peoples big brand clubs and loved it for that reason.
If it works for you then I would stick with the Wilsons, and revel in beating them with older, less fashionable, kit.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Once the heat of the day has subsided I'm gonna go out for a knock around on my own (got a week off work) and I'm gonna take the 'fatties' instead of the 'zoids' so at least I'll be able to get a half decent picture of what to expect without getting an ear bashing from the boys in the process, I'll let you know the outcome later...:thup:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well the 'Fatties' are back in the locker and the 'Zoids' will be staying in the bag, I went out early this evening and within the first 3 holes I knew I'd done a wrong'un so went back in and put me 'ole faithfuls' back in the bag and started off again, par, bogey, par, bogey, bogey, bogey, par, bogey and so on and so on, you get the picture, sometimes you just gotta do these things !...:thup: