Are there any car mechanics about?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Wow, they're going to have to fix them quickly.
Don't collect in the morning, it probably won't be ready.
Oh, and make sure you bed the new pads/discs in properly. A couple of hundred GENTLE miles will probably do it. (y)

I'm collecting it tomorrow and booking it in for next week to get the work done.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have you considered the future cost of battery replacement?

Price of a whole main battery is falling and they rarely fail: our PHEV has an 8 year guarantee with MTBF design life is ~12 yrs and now companies can just replace a defect cell. A battery pack would be about £4.5k - if you were unlucky enough to need a gearbox or engine work on an average ICE car it will probably be more costly ! If its a real concern stick £50/month in a Building Society and you'll be quids in !!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't consider this a biggie at that age, unless the car had been in a big collision sometime previously. I would imagine there is a lot more weight from the batteries so perhaps it's just one of those things.
I would be inclined though to look out a forum for those cars. You can learn an awful lot about your car there, I know I did when I was active on a Skoda one.:)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to wrap this up........
I didn't buy it, too many 'red flags'
I wonder if Smiffy has anything electric? :oops:

I think you made the right choice there Bob. The ad he posted mentioned nothing of potential upcoming issues had be not agreed to fix.
The fact he was willing to sell a car with known advisories was the biggest flag for me. What the after sales would be like with that as a presale attitude doesn't bear thinking about.