Are 'professionally' written CV's worth it?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't speak for all professions, but when a CV hits my desk, I prefer it to be concise, typed, grammatically correct and most importantly for me, personally done. I hate it when I get a CV that contains nothing but flowery prose about your recent achievement of hiking the coast to coast with your mates. Make it relevant in the main, with a bit about yourself. Make me want to meet you. I don't really want to meet people who aren't even confident enough to draft their own CV.

FYI, I work in the manufacturing industry, so we like to call a spade a spade. If you are looking to get into something more office based, then flower it up all you want. Middle managers seem to love terms like "root to branch", "crystallization" and "touching base".:D

DCB

Visit site
Haven't used one myself, but I've seen some of the ones that people have paid money for. They were robbed !

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If you are capable of doing your own, do so. If you get an interview and you and your character, including how you speak, doesn't match your CV it will show like a flashing beacon and you'll get no further.

I've seen 1,000's of CV's, and done 100's of interviews. Concise without flowery prose means you are a direct individual, but waffle means you will turn a 20min job into a full hour.

Start with a brief personal statement. Then qualifications. Then job history, in reverse order, most recent/current first. Then hobbies/past times. Be truthful, e.g. don't say you are an avid mountain climber if you're not. Whenever I'm interveiwing a candidate I research everything including their past times. You'd be amazed at the stunts candidates try and pull

Jay Gee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Make it relevant in the main, with a bit about yourself. Make me want to meet you. :D
That's probably the best advice. Also qualify and quantify your achievements, where possible. If talking about sales, being top salesperson means nothing without facts and figures. Likewise if you cut expenditure etc. Don't criticise previous employers; no one wants to hire someone who might be trouble.

Whether you need a professional CV, depends on how good your current CV is and which industry and level you are targeting. You could give your CV to family or friends in business/management and ask for their thoughts.

Best of luck.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't speak for all professions, but when a CV hits my desk, I prefer it to be concise, typed, grammatically correct and most importantly for me, personally done. I hate it when I get a CV that contains nothing but flowery prose about your recent achievement of hiking the coast to coast with your mates. Make it relevant in the main, with a bit about yourself. Make me want to meet you. I don't really want to meet people who aren't even confident enough to draft their own CV.

FYI, I work in the manufacturing industry, so we like to call a spade a spade. If you are looking to get into something more office based, then flower it up all you want. Middle managers seem to love terms like "root to branch", "crystallization" and "touching base".:D

Thanks Bluewolf, that saves me a lot of time as you have said exactly what I was going to say.

It is very easy to check a CV so make sure you don't enhance it.
Before my time but I have a friend who checks candidates names with Facebook and Utube to save time.

DCB

Visit site
I've seen CV's with the most unbelievable enhancements of both qualifications and experience. Once had a guy in who really did seem too good to be true. Once we started to interview and ask some technical questions, we found that he was too good to be true ;)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If you are capable of doing your own, do so. If you get an interview and you and your character, including how you speak, doesn't match your CV it will show like a flashing beacon and you'll get no further.

I've seen 1,000's of CV's, and done 100's of interviews. Concise without flowery prose means you are a direct individual, but waffle means you will turn a 20min job into a full hour.

Start with a brief personal statement. Then qualifications. Then job history, in reverse order, most recent/current first. Then hobbies/past times. Be truthful, e.g. don't say you are an avid mountain climber if you're not. Whenever I'm interveiwing a candidate I research everything including their past times. You'd be amazed at the stunts candidates try and pull

saved me typing loads, this is spot on:thup:

also.........
Spell and grammar check your cv.
make contact details clear and easy, don't use ridiculous email addresses like madmikeyboy@*******.com
Don't put in a photograph
Make your cv read in facts i.e Responsible for creating a new system improving productivity by over 30% NOT In my time at the company I was asked to come up with a system by the Managing Director as the previous system wasn't as efficient as it could have been, and productivity was affected. I worked on this with 2 other colleagues and spent many late nights testing over the last year blah blah blah

Employers scan read initially and want to see relevant and interesting facts jumping out the page, they don't want to have to search for it within the 'story'.

Lastly, keep it to 3 pages max and if emailing it request a 'delivery receipt' in your email settings so you know at least it reached their server. Don't request a 'read receipt' as this looks like your checking up and can be taken the wrong way by Hiring Managers.

Remember the cv's only job is to get you an interview, you can sell yourself better than a bit of paper can, but it needs to whet their appetite.
The cv is the classy woman in the short skirt with a twinkle in her eye that makes you want to see more, it shouldn't be the woman totally exposed with nothing to hide, ok not a great analogy but you get my drift:cool:

Good luck.:thup:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure about getting them professionally done, but I would highly recommend getting some people other than your mates to look at it and tell you what it lacks and what is good

Having read probably getting on for thousand CVs over recent years, it is worth remembering that most recruiters these days have to review CVs against the job description, so make sure you include something on every point listed

I generally counsel against putting DoB or age, or family relationship, kids etc. none of those are relevant to your capability to do the job, but some recruiters just have a grudge against certain ages, nationalities etc. so don't give them the chance.

If you are going to put something about yourself, don't lie, but don't put anything in which allows them to judge you negatively.

Good luck, if you want to PM me, I'd be pleased to comment on your cv

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good advice above. I would add avoiding putting in unquantifiable statements such as "good team player", "highly motivated" as most candidates put these in as they assume that is what employers are looking for. If you can't justify any statement on your CV then don't put it in.

And ensure spelling and grammar are correct. :D

V

vkurup

A lot of good things have already been said. However, getting ur CV done professionally is not a bad option. It depends on the industry and the level (entry/mid/senior) level you are targetting or if you want to change industries or roles and dont know what the new sector/roles values vis-a-vis ur existing sector/role. I have been tempted in the past, but chose not too.

An alternative (and I have done this in the past) is to talk to a head hunter in your industry.
1) Write down your current CV and thrown in the kitchen sink. Anything that you think is imp and dont worry if it runs into 9 pages. This is your long list.
2) Show it to the Headhunter and ask them for their opinion. Ask them what you should highlight and what you can drop. Start slashing and burning. Bring it down to (max) 4 pages.
3) Make it relevant to the job i.e. specific for role that you are applying for
4) (if relevant) update your Linkedin to reflect what you put in the CV
5) Finally, go online and google your name.. Check what comes up, both in regular search and image search. When I get a CV, I always google the guy/gal and check what I see. Does help if you can take down any 'interesting' pics from the stag do in Tenerif or similar

Remember that the CV is the only marketing bit that the company will see, so dont be too modest; but do reign in the desire for being OTT.

hope this helps

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A lot of good things have already been said. However, getting ur CV done professionally is not a bad option. It depends on the industry and the level (entry/mid/senior) level you are targetting or if you want to change industries or roles and dont know what the new sector/roles values vis-a-vis ur existing sector/role. I have been tempted in the past, but chose not too.

An alternative (and I have done this in the past) is to talk to a head hunter in your industry.
1) Write down your current CV and thrown in the kitchen sink. Anything that you think is imp and dont worry if it runs into 9 pages. This is your long list.
2) Show it to the Headhunter and ask them for their opinion. Ask them what you should highlight and what you can drop. Start slashing and burning.
Bring it down to (max) 4 pages.
3) Make it relevant to the job i.e. specific for role that you are applying for
4) (if relevant) update your Linkedin to reflect what you put in the CV
5) Finally, go online and google your name.. Check what comes up, both in regular search and image search. When I get a CV, I always google the guy/gal and check what I see. Does help if you can take down any 'interesting' pics from the stag do in Tenerif or similar

Remember that the CV is the only marketing bit that the company will see, so dont be too modest; but do reign in the desire for being OTT.

hope this helps

HeadHunters are not the least bit interested in reading a 9 page cv! Why would he/she help you get your cv down to 3 pages (4 is too long) so that you can go and market yourself! what does the HH get out of it?

I'd also caution against making the cv relevant to the job you are applying for, it can backfire against you! Too long to explain the reasons why here.

Apologies vkurup for sounding like I'm poo poo'ing a couple of your ideas but I speak only from experience, and I've not seen one 'professionally paid for' cv that was value for money.

V

vkurup

HeadHunters are not the least bit interested in reading a 9 page cv! Why would he/she help you get your cv down to 3 pages (4 is too long) so that you can go and market yourself! what does the HH get out of it?

I'd also caution against making the cv relevant to the job you are applying for, it can backfire against you! Too long to explain the reasons why here.

Apologies vkurup for sounding like I'm poo poo'ing a couple of your ideas but I speak only from experience, and I've not seen one 'professionally paid for' cv that was value for money.

DV.. fair challenge. When i said 9 pages, I did exaggerate it. However, it is a good idea to put all ur stuff down, so that you have all the stuff you need for pulling a CV together.

I am a bit lucky cos, generally i have a headhunter or so knock around. My CV is usually not available. So when it was time to update it, I spoke to a HH and asked for her help. In return, I offered to give her my CV for a month before I send it out to anyone else (a bit of exclusivity if say so). She was very helpful and offered some good tips.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
i am not in recruitment, but recently applied for lots of jobs! am happy to send you my CV to look at if you wish? it got me plenty of interviews! my next tip is interview 1. take charge and have a presentation,i used my ipad in in brief covered off all of the major points on my CV as a refresher. I am in sales if thats relevant to you. but i dont use any BS language like blue sky thinking etc!!