Are my wedge gaps correct?

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,I have recently got myself new irons,Cobra S3s,and I really like them.However they do have strong lofts and the PW is 44 deg! My old Nike VRs had a 45 deg PW so I got 3 Mizuno MP-T10 wedges in 50,54,and 58 deg.This has served me well but now I am thinking that a 6 deg gap between PW and GW might be a bit too much? What say you forum? Maybe 48,52,and 56 might be better? But then I would miss my lob! Am I barking up the wrong tree? All input appreciated,cheers!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As with the other wedge thread it depends how far you hit them.
Loft counts for little, it's how far that matters.

Assuming you do have a gap, getting the 50 bent to 49 might be all that's needed - that gives a fairly even spread of lofts..

But distance first...

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
one degree isnt going to make a difference, just get into your head so you dont doubt yourself. some old pro might say you have two to many wedges

Cheers Bigslice,I do tend to obsess about little things like this! Too many? Never! I love my wedges!

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Assuming you do have a gap, getting the 50 bent to 49 might be all that's needed - that gives a fairly even spread of lofts..

But distance first...

Thanks Imurg,I think a session down at my clubs practice range will be a good idea!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't waste your time changing everything over.
If you stick with a 44 PW and use the 50 and 58, can't see anything wrong with that.

Let's say the 44 and 50 end up having a wicked gap, see if you can work out a shot with the 44 that goes inbetween. For me, it would be 20-25 yards (at a guess, I'd have to measure) so I'd learn a stock shot to take 10-12 yards off the 44. Either smaller swing, or grip down the shaft, whatever suits you.

I'm a rubbish player, but my 60-120 range saves my bacon time and time again, even if I only get down in 3.

I use the writing on the grip (it says golf pride) and put my thumb somewhere specific for "10 yards off it" shots. I have an even 80/95 and 110 arrangement with my full wedges, so 70/85 and 100 is easy. Try it. :)

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks a bunch RGDave,sound advice mate.My short game has been good as of late,but I need to develop a wider range of shots and work out my distances.Ta!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks a bunch RGDave,sound advice mate.My short game has been good as of late,but I need to develop a wider range of shots and work out my distances.Ta!

My doubles partner has his distances taped to his shafts - cunning.

He needs it as a full PW goes about 150 yards.....

Shame about the tops though. :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have my standard PW which goes about 110 yards and a 60* LW which goes about 60 yards. I also have a 53* wedge which I use for anything in between simply by varying how hard I hit the shot.

Call me old fashioned but that's the way the game always used to be played :whistle:

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My doubles partner has his distances taped to his shafts - cunning.

He needs it as a full PW goes about 150 yards.....

Shame about the tops though. :)

That is indeed a smart idea,hmmm.Drive4show my short game has always been the best element of my game and all my wedges have different bounce,I like the variety this offers!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
My PW is 45* and my SW is 54*. That equals a 30yrd gap on a normal swing. Us my PW for shots from about 110yrds to 40yrds. SW from 60yrds in. This gives a 20yrd overlap. So really 9* gar between wedges is no problem.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

But distance first...

This is the predominant reason I'm tinkering. I want a little more distance between my GW and SW so switching the 56* for a 58*.

That and maybe a little more height out of a bunker.

My spacing will be 47*, 52* and 58*

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the input guys,I think I may have to keep my wedges in bag until I know the correct distance they go.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the input guys,I think I may have to keep my wedges in bag until I know the correct distance they go.

That would be the best idea. Do not start to panic about that one degree, chances are you will not probably even notice it. Having older irons, they do not have such strong lofts. So my wedge setup is PW48 SW54 LW60. Maybe you could go for a similar setup and go PW44 GW48 SW54 LW60?

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That would be the best idea. Do not start to panic about that one degree, chances are you will not probably even notice it. Having older irons, they do not have such strong lofts. So my wedge setup is PW48 SW54 LW60. Maybe you could go for a similar setup and go PW44 GW48 SW54 LW60?

I like this idea Adey,it's a pity Mizuno don't make a 48 deg MP-T10! Cheers.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just purchased a 50GW because my PW is 44* and my SW is 56* when I bought the set of irons I bought a 62* LW, but found on the course that a good swing with my PW was going to far but my SW wasn't far enough, hence the GW.

I know there'll be a few who will say choke down on the PW to take some distance off and that is true I could have, but I don't play regular enough, through being on call every other week and then it chucks it down the weeks I can play, to be confident enough to know what my yardages would be for any given grip.

That said I know how far I can hit my PW, SW and LW from the markers at the driving range.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me different wedges give me different options,if I have a lot of rough to get over and not much green a soft chip with the lob is in order.If I have a really tight lie and less rough in the way my low bounce gap is the rignt option,and if I am near the green but miles from the pin my 7 iron will do.Choice equals confidence in my game.I also spend the most time practicing with all 4 of my wedges.

Last edited: