Are Memberships really value for money

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

The other thread on golf memberships got me thinking, are memberships really that great value for money as in price per round.

Whats the maximum amount of rounds you have played on your membership and the least number of times(must be someone who paid for a year but then did not play?) ?

This year is probably the worst for me whilst being a member, just not played much, I have only played 4 times at one of the clubs(works out to over £250 a round:eek:) and if I have managed 12-15 times at the other I would be surprised, over £45 a round:eek: (7 day full membership held at both). Think I have probably in my highest year never played 50 times on a membership(mainly as I like to play new/other courses) Hmmm need to think about this more :censored::unsure:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yes, I think you do need to think about it a bit more. I dropped my 2nd club because I wasn't getting VFM from it, I think some forummers got better value as guests than I did :oops:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just wouldn't be able to do it. I'm only able to play once a week, so for a full membership, costing over a grand, I would have to play at my club every single weekend and never play anywhere else to make it even remotely viable. And that would bore me to tears, I want to be able to play different courses.

My club operates at a council-run course, so I only pay £100 for a year's membership, but then I still have to pay a green fee each time I play. This is much better for me as we only really want to play our home course about twice a month, and on the other weeks we play friendly knocks at a host of other local courses. (The downside though is that the council is currently running it into the ground, but that's another story.)

I think it's only possible to get true 'value for money' from a full membership if you're in a position where you can play at least twice a week. For those who still work full time, and/or have family commitments, that's very difficult.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I couldn't justify that on an ongoing basis. However, over the past few years it has been total value for money for me with regards to price per round at my club. I play Saturday and Sunday most weekends, and Tuesday & Friday evenings as long as the light is good enough. Sometimes only 9 holes, but even then, well over 100 rounds a year, so less than £10 per round (9 or 18). I'm perfectly happy with that.

I have a mate, who's a member at mine, and has probably played 4 times this year at most. He did similar last year, but wants to retain his membership as the kids are almost ready to let him be.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We're not particularly well off for decent courses within half an hour's drive and, when you add in the cost of getting there and the green fee it makes membership very worthwhile.
As we play twice a week we'd be looking at well over £2500 a year as nomads.
We pay just short of £750 and can play Monday to Friday.
It means we can get out early, be done, have lunch and then have time for some work in the afternoon.
It's just easier......

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I pay about £1100 a year now, and play every saturday, some sundays and the occaisional weekday or evening. I consider it well worth the money, especially since pay and plays my way are £30 and upwards now.
I dont get the "playing the same course is boring" argeument, because I dont find it so.
So very much worth it for me;)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It certainly depends on what you want from golf.

A second membership seems a big extravagance unless you are not working and will be playing a lot of golf.
I have this notion that one day I won't have to work for a living and I will have my main membership in Glasgow and a 2nd membership with a links course down on the coast, where the ground stays dry and frost free.

Purely on a pay-per-play I'd imagine a lot of golf members don't get full value for money. But obviously there are a lot of additional benefits that joining a golf club gives you.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely value for money for me. £15 for 9 holes or £20 for 18 holes at my place. I have played in 20 comps so that would be £400 straight away, then add in weeks without comps where I have played at least 9 holes, then the evenings I have been down in the summer. Lets say I have played at least another 20 of those but is most likley more. That's another £400 ish.

So about £800 and the year isn't over and I play through the winter. Membership for me was £200 this year, so was worth while for me. If I didn't have a membership then I most likely wouldn't have played as much as the thought of paying per round just does not appeal.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I pay about £1100 a year now, and play every saturday, some sundays and the occaisional weekday or evening. I consider it well worth the money, especially since pay and plays my way are £30 and upwards now.
I dont get the "playing the same course is boring" argeument, because I dont find it so.
So very much worth it for me;)
It's not of you find the right course...I can't imagine being a member at some places and "having" to play it week in week out
The main criteria when we were looking for a new club was " could I play this course 2-3 times a week".

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it's only possible to get true 'value for money' from a full membership if you're in a position where you can play at least twice a week. For those who still work full time, and/or have family commitments, that's very difficult.

I think that's too much of a generalisation...it depends upon the cost of membership and whether you are able to play all year round or are restricted due to poor ground conditions in winter......my course is playable all year round and if I only played once a week at my home club then my membership would work out at around £16 a round.

I know the OP framed his question around price per round, but VFM in reality is so much more than this....it also needs to encompass things like the social aspects of being a club member, handicapping, club competitions, team competitions against other clubs etc etc.

I couldn't begin to guess at the number of rounds I've played...sometimes during the peak summer months I might play three times a week and this will drop off to every other week at the least frequent during the winter.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haven't played much this year (for numerous reasons) so probably not cost effective for me either really ... not quite £250 a round though! :eek:

However, there's been plenty of times I've been down the club for a bit of practice, a coffee and a catchup with friends etc.

Sure I could've gone to another range etc (without needing membership) instead but I enjoyed being at and being part of a CLUB - even if I've not used the course.

Luckily said course is very playable all year round so it should even out a bit - hopefully it does for you too! 👍

In the past when I've played solely on a heavy parkland course I played a lot in the summer but often felt it just wasn't worth playing in the winter - I'd tended to play out of habit or duty having paid for 12 months membership

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
It certainly depends on what you want from golf.

This...

Some folk are social golfers and aren't bothered about handicaps etc others, like myself find non competitive golf a bit bland so being a club member gives me that competition and handicap chasing incentive. I live 3 minutes from my course and through the light nights can be up there 4/5/6 nights a week.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most of us on here are incredibly lucky to be able to afford to belong to a club where we can meet like-minded lunatics for competition or fun - and even on occasion both. I've never worked out price per round, it's about much more than that for me.

I guess I'm even more fortunate to feel like I belong to the club, I love the course and get on with so much of the membership there I couldn't imagine leaving (even though there are plenty to choose from closer to home). If you're not in that place I guess you have a decision to make.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
In Germany, the math is pretty easy. An average greenfee is 60 €. An average membership 1400 €. So if you play at least 25 times a year, it is worth it. Also, you need a membership somewhere to be eligible to play at most places, since there are almost no public courses. The option for people who do not play much, or who travel around much and therefore cannot or do not want to play the same course all year, is a membership with the VCG (the association of club free golfers) who will then maintain your handicap and legitimate you to play elsewhere. Or a county membership in some godforsaken place you probably never set foot on. Those can be bought for about 200 € or less. The VCG is also a bit over 200 € a year, if I remember correctly.

I know things are different in Britain, because you have so many options with golf societies, public courses and stuff and much lower greenfees. But memberships also seem to be a bit cheaper and more flexible than in Germany.

Still, I think being a member somewhere is going to get you to play more, practice more and develop more of a community of other golfers around you.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My club is by far the most expensive club in the area, with the exception of Skibo;)

i play a least once a week and sometimes though summer at least 3 or 4 so even once a week it still works out less the £16 round for a UK top 100 links course.
Its a course you can play everyday and guarantee its slightly different more or less every time so never get bored with it. Its great value.
I have been a member of 4 clubs at one time and TBH even though 2 of those where not much more than £100 i only played them a couple of times each so in the scheme of things there were not. will be back to two clubs next year as Torvean new course is due to open and the new holes all look great from what i can see. Get to play a fair few other courses as well thought the year as a guest as ive some good friends who are members of other courses.

TBH i can't ever see a time when i wouldn't be a club member

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I’ve played 43 rounds so far at my place. That’ll like get to 50. Which is only £16 a round. So based purely on vfm it’s been worth it.

I’ve also Made a few good mates along the way as well as winning a comp for a few £££.

I’m lucky that the course doesn’t cost too much, and it being on my doorstep means I’ve prbably played 9 holes 20times too.

The best bit though is how welcoming the place is to my daughter who’s started coming out for a few holes with me.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I play on average 3 times a week, 12 months a year. Knocking off a bit for holidays and bad weather, I reckon it works out about 120 rounds a year, which would be just over a fiver a round. great value for money.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
On full costs. Nope, I don't think they do, unless you drag yourself to every comp and roll up. In my case, the costs were £500 when I joined. 8 years later they are now £750. My wages haven't gone up that much. Add in fuel and travelling. Nope.

In my opinion golf clubs are going to have to have a good look at how they are pricing things and how they can control who is using their facilities. Struggling with that last bit? Well, who knows a course where it would be a doddle to just walk on without anyone knowing. This should have been addressed when clubs were awash with money. Too late now, as most would argue that it is now cost prohibitive.