Aphrodite Hills, Cyprus - Cyprus Open 29 October

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The only European Tour venue, excluding Close House, I have played. Spectacular course. You play hole 3 on one side of the ravine, then negotiate around 20 hairpin bends, descending to the bottom of the ravine then climbing up the other side. On the way back, you play the par three 7th across the ravine, around 230 yards for the pros. Really looking forward to it.

AH_1.jpg

AH_2.jpg

P.S. Apologies for the black socks, don't know what I was thinking about!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I remember playing that years ago when I was in Cyprus and loved the course. There was nobody stopping me (trying to) drive over the ravine. ;)
I do remember that the carts had auto-braking as some of the slopes on the paths were very steep!

D

Deleted member 15344

Was working in Cyprus when it first opened , we were driving to Secret Valley Golf Club and took a wrong turn and ended up at Aphrodite on the day it opened up. We spoke to the manager at the time who said we could have a round - we did it was lovely. We spoke to him after and he said we could arrange to play any time via the office for £100 a fourball. We went back a few times when my mate moved to Paphos - some stunning views across the med and needed a buggy because of the climbs. The par 3 across the valley is excellent

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

With your screen name, that's expected.................nowt wrong with co-ordinated socks, shoes and shorts!

I played last time I was in Cyprus... very enjoyable... I remember the (buggy) drive down that hill! :eek:

Last edited:

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s the 3rd hole, not the 4th.

It’s a lovely course, but the pro’s will rip it apart. They’d have been better taking it to Elea. A greater test of golf for sure.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s the 3rd hole, not the 4th.

It’s a lovely course, but the pro’s will rip it apart. They’d have been better taking it to Elea. A greater test of golf for sure.

That is a good illustration of slope. There are courses with huge carries and long holes that the average golfer can't get down, they have a cricket score, but the pros shoot 62.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The only European Tour venue, excluding Close House, I have played. Spectacular course. You play hole 3 on one side of the ravine, then negotiate around 20 hairpin bends, descending to the bottom of the ravine then climbing up the other side. On the way back, you play the par three 7th across the ravine, around 230 yards for the pros. Really looking forward to it.

View attachment 33138

View attachment 33139

I think they look very fetching, would have looked even better though if they were knee length and made from very thick scratchy wool ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That is a good illustration of slope. There are courses with huge carries and long holes that the average golfer can't get down, they have a cricket score, but the pros shoot 62.

Spoke to some of the guys that have recently come back from Cyprus (3 weeks ago) and played the course. 32 won off the yellows. Secret Valley was the group favourite though but they loved having a crack before the pros got there

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spoke to some of the guys that have recently come back from Cyprus (3 weeks ago) and played the course. 32 won off the yellows. Secret Valley was the group favourite though but they loved having a crack before the pros got there

A couple of years ago Chris Wood played Bearwood Lakes with the owner. On the way round, the owner asked Chris what he would need to do to make it suitable for a Tour event. Chris Wood laughed and said "There is nothing you can do. It is a nice course for members but far too easy for professionals. The boys would slaughter it even if you found space to put a bunch of tees way further back".