AP3 equivalents

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looking for some new irons and recently got fitted for some AP3’s. Really liked them and was pretty close to ordering them. Just wondering if anyone could recommend an equivalent iron I should try out before ordering the AP3’s.

I want something that has a slim-ish top line but still offers forgiveness.

Thanks.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have some cobra fly z +.
Since replaced (by cobra, not me) with the king forged tour.
They are pretty tasteful, but have a fair amount of heavy metal placed discreetly out of the way.
Worth a try if you have a dealer nearby, and probably a lot cheaper.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Had my AP3 for a year. The first set of irons that have lasted a year in the bag for 10 years. Shan't be changing them for a while.

Homer

Visit site
AP3 - jump too much and you can’t control the distance. You’ll also need to buy a new gap wedge!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a look at the Callaway Apex but bought AP3s .
There was very little between them but as stated they do need a gap wedge.
AP3 really nice irons though.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
New Callaway Apex might be worth a look.....

Ah yes, I’m gonna try those out. Just waiting for my pro to get a demo set in. Do the Apex’s have a similar top line to the AP3’s? Are the Apex Pro’s more aligned to AP2’s??

Also, I have money in my shop account so I need to buy them from my pro. So No Cobra’s for me!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
AP3 - jump too much and you can’t control the distance. You’ll also need to buy a new gap wedge!

The jumping was mentioned by a few on here around the time I got mine. I guess I don't hit the ball that well but I have had, maybe, 1/2 doz do that in about 40 rounds. I'd say they're definitely not fliers as they've been from a decent lie. And when you get a jumper, its a significant jump, e.g. a 140 yd 8 iron going 160+ yds. What should be a safe hit, i.e. not going through the back of the green have done so.

Maybe a few jumpers have helped me not come up short too.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The jumping was mentioned by a few on here around the time I got mine. I guess I don't hit the ball that well but I have had, maybe, 1/2 doz do that in about 40 rounds. I'd say they're definitely not fliers as they've been from a decent lie. And when you get a jumper, its a significant jump, e.g. a 140 yd 8 iron going 160+ yds. What should be a safe hit, i.e. not going through the back of the green have done so.

Maybe a few jumpers have helped me not come up short too.
Not quite jumpers !
As we all don’t flush everything maybe the jumpers are the ones we have really 100% flushed.
And all the rest are only 90%.
Just a thought as haven’t had any.

Neeko1988

Visit site
Ive recently been fitted for the Taylormade P790's which would fall in the same bracket and absolutely love them. although the new AP3 in black look amazing!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Hi - could you please explain what you mean by "jump too much"? Just intrigued - cheers.

There's too big a difference in performance across the face. When flushed out of the centre they absolutely fly, and as club champ says the 100% shots do go.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don't know if it's any use to you regarding the face on the hollow clubs and consistency of strike etc, but I tried a few different clubs over the course of last season and the two irons which had the most consistent results, especially for distance , were the TM 790's & the Ping I500's.