Anyone see the Trilby Tour on Sky tonight- the swings!!!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm no great swinger and people in glass houses etc etc but I watch the Trilby tour (never heard of it till a few weeks ago on here) as it's real amateur golf.

My biggest impression over the last 3 weeks is the complete variety of swings which are so far removed from what we see on the pro circuit week in week out, but these guys knock it around in decent handicaps.
When I saw a scratch golfer on tonight I relished the prospect then I saw his swing :eek:
Not one commentator mentioned it, I don't think I've ever used the rewind/pause/play button so much on a swing as it looked like so much was going on, fanning the club, massive body movement, standing small not tall etc etc not to mention the explosion that happened between his knees on the downswing :eek: :eek: he's turning pro, surely theres no stability or repeatability in that swing even though he's off scratch?

Fair do's to the winner, the wee fighter thats played in loads of Trilbys, not long but a great short game.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I saw a scratch golfer on tonight I relished the prospect then I saw his swing :eek:
Not one commentator mentioned it, I don't think I've ever used the rewind/pause/play button so much on a swing as it looked like so much was going on, fanning the club, massive body movement, standing small not tall etc etc not to mention the explosion that happened between his knees on the downswing :eek: :eek: he's turning pro, surely theres no stability or repeatability in that swing even though he's off scratch?

That be that young lad Coffey. I utterly agree. There are ugly swings and then there is his swing. I'm by no means a swing snob, but his swing didnt look right at all. His pre shot routine was a bit odd too.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Furyk manages to get it round with a... *ahem*... unconventional swing.

Just because a pro wouldn't teach it doesn't mean it can't work for some people.

thats not what I said, did you see it? its very rare I'll be surprised at a swing...

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
It made me laugh tbh. Like a daddy long legs having some sort of fit.. But it did work (not in the play off obviously). It's always interesting to watch these swings and see how some people make them work, I'd be careful though. He looks like his right knee is in real jeopardy if he ever puts any weight on.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
yes, good description, what gets me is surely his pro or coach or someone is trying to help him, he wasn't taught that surely and if he wants a career earning a living he'll need to change.
To replicate it you'd need to place an oil drum on its side, then stand on a plank on the drum, roll the drum then start your swing :eek:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
WOW! over 180 views and only 3 interested in Golf :p

looks like the rest of ya love to moan about the armed forces/committee's/subscriptions/old timers very repeated banter etc etc :D :D :D

:cool:

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As above, happy to comment if I've seen it!

I agree about iffy looking technique among those looking to turn pro though.

Given that 9/10 of the GB&I Walker Cup team are having a crack at Tour School, there are some really dubious looking swings among them. Too quick, flicky, loads of wrist, ultra flat etc etc.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I saw it and also couldnt believe it, some odd looking swings, yet getting the job done

If someone had asked me to guess handicaps just looking at swings I would be losing alot of money.

Also just reinforces the importance of the short game

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Given that 9/10 of the GB&I Walker Cup team are having a crack at Tour School, there are some really dubious looking swings among them. Too quick, flicky, loads of wrist, ultra flat etc etc.

agreed, and I think they knock it around any course without to many problems, key thing is though is it repeatable under pressure? thats what sorts the champs from the rest of us.

Lets face it;
we've all hit a beautiful 300yd drive :)
we've all had a birdie :)
we've all hit a beautiful iron to 1 foot :)
we've all splashed out a bunker easily to beside the cup or holed it :)
we've all holed a monster putt and been deadly from 8 feet :)

but do it under pressure repeatedly, different class and world completely.
I knew I couldnt hack it when trying for the Open Qualifier one year, I couldnt believe what pressure did to my swing, via my brain of course.

To anyone making a good living at golf, you have my admiration, respect and envy :cool:

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lets face it, the scratch players swing was no where near scratch quality! Massive leg slide and loss of height which was his way of hitting the drives on the up. It showed that in the play off it was anything other than able to hold up to the pressure of the occasion, with his two opening tee shots going about 20% off target right.

Bet he has a sore back after 18 holes.

Having said that, his putting stroke looked good to me and that I guess is where he gets his scratch HCP from.

Theres more than one way to play off scratch!

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
"Having said that, his putting stroke looked good to me and that I guess is where he gets his scratch HCP from"

Totally agree...when he also got the opportunity to play a chip, on the final hole I think, he got it very close and the action didnt look bad at all. So he probably has a very good and reliable short game.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
it was a really odd looking swing - not one for the purists, but hey, if it works for him.... Probably not as bad as mine tho - I look like someone trying to club a snake to death in a phone box.

Anyone remember Eamon Darcy Jr's particularly unorthodox swing, with the flying right elbow?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
it was a really odd looking swing - not one for the purists, but hey, if it works for him.... Probably not as bad as mine tho - I look like someone trying to club a snake to death in a phone box.

Anyone remember Eamon Darcy Jr's particularly unorthodox swing, with the flying right elbow?

You mean this one?

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I was trying to erase it from my mind, I couldn't believe he was off scratch. Fair play to him though if he is knocking it round level par more often than not.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

You mean this one?

great isn't it? in a 'this swing earns me a fortune' kind of way :D