Anyone played Essendon New?

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Afternoon.

Am due down in Hertford in mid April and looks like we've blagged a game at Woburn on Friday 12th, so trying to sort out a day ticket, potentially, for 36 holes at Essendon for Saturday 13th. Played Essendon Old course in September last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, so wondered if the New course was much different? Certainly looks like there's more water hazards on it!!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Played Old but not New, but guy who invited me states New is different but same quality. Probably also better draining too - Old gets quite soggy.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very different to the old but a pretty good course, quite a bit of water and some longish holes (depending on tee choice), you should enjoy it. No craic in the clubhouse tho'

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Will wait and see what they propose to charge for a day ticket and then take it from there.

Any other courses we should be looking at? We've already played Whitehills, Manor of Groves, Nazeing, The Hertfordshire, Essendon Old and Brickendon Grange, as well as the awful Chadwell Springs.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
How about the Seve designed Shire just off the M25 at Barnet/Potters Bar, Six par 3, six par 4 & six par 5, I believe water water every where, not played it but meaning too.

Old Fold Manor, Crews Hill, Chesfield Downs.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would recommend either or both the courses at Brocket Hall but getting on may be an issue (albeit there are often deals around for there these days)

Plenty of good courses in that neck of the woods depending on how much you want to pay or want to travel. Others to consider would include: Porters Park, Brookmans Park, Welwyn Garden City, Harpenden, Aldwickbury

Last edited:

gazza271

Hacker
Visit site
Funnily enough played it this morning.

A mate has just joined so got visitors rates (£22)

Loved it, really good lay out and interesting holes.

There's very few holes that seem to run adjacent to each other and hardly saw another golfer although there was apparently a few groups out.

Plenty of water, fairways were in lovely condition. Green's ran true but had a few bobbles on a couple of them but my mate said this is apparently being addressed by the club. I'm definitely going back to try the Old course and if I lived up that way with their current membership offer I would join in a heartbeat.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Very different to the old but a pretty good course, quite a bit of water and some longish holes (depending on tee choice), you should enjoy it. No craic in the clubhouse tho'

Did you play it a while ago before the new owners took over? Played it fairly recently on a pretty wet day and thought the clubhouse atmosphere was one of the best I've experienced of late

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you play it a while ago before the new owners took over? Played it fairly recently on a pretty wet day and thought the clubhouse atmosphere was one of the best I've experienced of late

I guess so, have played it quite a few times as a friends a member, probably 18 months ago last time, glad to hear its better now.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Oooh - liking the look of The Shire. Thanks Mr. Chewer. :thup:

HIGHLY recommend The Shire. Great fun course (evil 1st hole though), and best non-stuffy club-house atmosphere I've experienced. Recommend Pasta Arrabiata afterwards too. You won't get 2 rounds in in a day though - it's 4 hours at best at weekends. Linksy feel apart from 12 holes where water features!

Brocket has 2 really good courses but could be expensive without some sort of deal - though the trip itself is probably the most expensive element. Hadley Wood apparently worth playing (not done so myself) and a Muni worth considering is Panshanger - very good for the (Southern) price.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
HIGHLY recommend The Shire. Great fun course (evil 1st hole though), and best non-stuffy club-house atmosphere I've experienced. Recommend Pasta Arrabiata afterwards too. You won't get 2 rounds in in a day though - it's 4 hours at best at weekends. Linksy feel apart from 12 holes where water features!

Brocket has 2 really good courses but could be expensive without some sort of deal - though the trip itself is probably the most expensive element. Hadley Wood apparently worth playing (not done so myself) and a Muni worth considering is Panshanger - very good for the (Southern) price.

Brocket is a very good hotel set up, really nice courses but as you say you would need to try and get a deal there. Pans hanger likely to be v busy at the weekend.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brockets has a great couple of tracks played it quite a few times cheap as my m8 'knows someone' :D As others say can be pricey otherwise.

Shire is a great laugh, but can be a mare with all the water if you're not swinging well. Can get a bit boggy if it's wet I found.

Herfordshire isn't too bad but can get really busy.

Chesfield was mention, I'm a member. Wouldn't recommend it, gets too busy and there are better tracks locally. Knebworth, Letchworth I think are better options.

Essendon I've played quite a bit too, really like the place and I would have happily joined there if it was a bit closer to me. every time I've played there I've practically had the course to myself :D

My choice would be Brocket if you can get a deal, if not Essendon.