Anyone else's club not hollow tine the greens?

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
Morning all,

Been a member at my current club for 4 years now, not once in that time have they hollow tined the greens, only slit them. The slitting ended up just leaving tramlines in the greens which were handy if the hole was on one!
It's starting to frustrate me and some of the better players as the ball doesn't hold the green, even with a well struck wedge.

Tried to put the point across to the head greenkeeper and we received this:

It has also been bought to our attention why do we not hollow core our greens.
As you know this is a very intrusive operation, causing displeasure to golfers around the country.
Over the years we have taken a more biological approach rather than a mechanical approach.
Using products that reduce thatch levels, which we have very little of and other products that reduce black layer.
Keeping the underground levels of the greens in good order also encouraging better root development.
Hence we don’t remove cores to replenish materials taken out from coring as we believe the need is not there.

My question to others is are there any other clubs out there like this that have acceptable greens?

CK

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
My club hollow tines it’s greens, and it can still be very tricky to hold the ball with a well hit shot.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know little about greenkeeping but from what I remember of our club we do hollow core occasionally but 'micro tine/core on a regular basis, in truth when playing you barely notice its been done

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We havn't had ours done for a couple of years as we have had Graden (slit and inject kiln dried sand in the slits) for the last two. I thing they may do it at the end of this month... trouble is the bad weather usually come after that so you end up with greens full of holes for 6 months. Graden was far less intrusive.

I suppose it depends on the levels of thatch and the root conditions.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the past 6 to 7 years our greens have been receiving treatments to recover them from the many years neglect of the previous owner. They used to deep-core hollow-tine but more recently use a 'graden' treatment (slits at 2" centres') to remove thatch & replace with sand & seed. Big advantage is that the thatch is collected in a hopper that's easy to empty & replaced by sand & seed that's in a separate hopper...….. whole job is done neatly, quickly & is extremely efficient on personnel time with little waste of seed or sand. Previously very firm greens now accept a ball.
However no graden this year as this extreme Summer had put immense stress on grasses that are still not 'fully established'...… greens are a bit thin in places.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We hollow tine and while its a pain for a short period after its a necessary evil. Our greens have been excellent this year and I have full faith in my green staff to do the right things to control disease and protect the root growth

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The explanation you have quoted sounds solid.

Hollow tining is a necessary evil for most clubs, and one that if it can be avoided should be!

I'm fascinated by your linking of hollow tining to 'holding' greens; if anything its the complete opposite. Hollow tining reduces thatch (thatch provides a soft, spongy, top surface which holds to trajectory rather than spin) and increases/improves drainage (same impact on holding).

Micro tining, vertislitting and top dressing done on a very regular basis are much better tools to fine green surfaces - along with watering, cutting and ironing.

Generally, hollow tining, deep drilling and graden are remedial, but sadly have become increasingly routine in the battle with thatch (organic content in the upper layers).

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm only a new member at my club but so far this year they've only slit them.

I've been informed that even though there is history with water retention at our club, leading to standing water, they've never been on temp greens since the current greenkeeper has been there unless there has been frost.

He must be doing something right if they can get through the year without resorting to temps and we have a known problem with water retention.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ours were done a couple of weeks ago and not as smooth as I'd hoped. Very bobbly today and we all had short putts that bounced or were knocked offline. Not sure why it's like this as our greens usually recover really quickly

D

Deleted member 18588

Ours were done a couple of weeks ago and not as smooth as I'd hoped. Very bobbly today and we all had short putts that bounced or were knocked offline. Not sure why it's like this as our greens usually recover really quickly

The later in the year that it's done the longer it is likely to take the greens to recover.