Anybody rent out property?

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Watching prog-Bad Tenants,Rogue Landlords and just cannot get over how tenants can get away with THIEVING from people!
Yeh,yeh..I know that the prog is set up to show a certain slant-and play on the emotions,but have these people no respect for themselves and the owners(who have helped them)!
Don't know if anyone on here is in the letting business(or what their experiences have been) and whilst I can appreciate having gone down the legal route to get rid of the worst of them-and still being owed 1,000s and in some cases ruined properties(yet more unasked for costs) would this not be a bit vexacious given time,stress and expenses incurred all at your cost?
Does anyone agree that maybe,just occasionally,a more direct form of negociation? should be employed in the more extreme cases where basically you are just being totally ripped off by thieving gits using the system??
I know that I would be so frustrated with getting my chain jerked that I would be all for bypassing the legal route and talking more directly with the miscreants(good eh?)in the company of 1 or 2 of my south Glasgow/Castlemilk friends -purely to keep me on an even keel when having a reasonable conversation about both an immediate payment plan and departure date(crutches optional)
Again a 3week long post-SORRY!
Jimbo

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
About 10 years ago I split from my long term girlfriend at the time, I owned the house but went and lived with my sister for a year so rented out the house. Fortunately I didn’t have any major problems, there was just a couple of furniture items which were damaged during their tenancy so they didn’t get the full security deposit back.

I’ve seen the horror stories though so think of my experience as very positive

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve rented a property for the last ten years and never had a problem with tenants all done through a management company who vet prospective tenants and look after everything

Maybe I’ve just been lucky though.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I rented out a house in the late 90's, eventually selling it to the tenant. 2 weeks after I sold it, it was raided. The Police took away all his plants from the loft.

More recently a couple of my ex-staff rented out houses. Both of them had very bad experiences.

Tempted to put my pension pot into property as its a better return but I'd do it via a management company.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watching prog-Bad Tenants,Rogue Landlords and just cannot get over how tenants can get away with THIEVING from people!
Yeh,yeh..I know that the prog is set up to show a certain slant-and play on the emotions,but have these people no respect for themselves and the owners(who have helped them)!
Don't know if anyone on here is in the letting business(or what their experiences have been) and whilst I can appreciate having gone down the legal route to get rid of the worst of them-and still being owed 1,000s and in some cases ruined properties(yet more unasked for costs) would this not be a bit vexacious given time,stress and expenses incurred all at your cost?
Does anyone agree that maybe,just occasionally,a more direct form of negociation? should be employed in the more extreme cases where basically you are just being totally ripped off by thieving gits using the system??
I know that I would be so frustrated with getting my chain jerked that I would be all for bypassing the legal route and talking more directly with the miscreants(good eh?)in the company of 1 or 2 of my south Glasgow/Castlemilk friends -purely to keep me on an even keel when having a reasonable conversation about both an immediate payment plan and departure date(crutches optional)
Again a 3week long post-SORRY!
Jimbo

Are you actually suggesting violence is a better alternative to going through correct legal channels? Wow.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My brother had 3 flats one of them had a horror of tenant stop paying after 3months. No problems with the other two.

My daughter let her flat out when she came back to live with me when she returned to college. Her first tenants stopped paying after 3 months and it took her 8 months and many £1000s in legal fees to get them out, several fittings removed when they left. Her second tenant was great

One of my mates had one of his flats absolutely trashed by one tenant. New kitchen, new bathroom, new plastering in some rooms, new windows and front door but no problems whatsoever with his other two.

One of my neighbours let out their old house from where they moved because the could not sell it. The tenant even knocked out internal walls and remodelled the house. He won substantial compensation from the letting agents for failing to regularly inspect the property.

I once bought a flat for renovation and renting but because of all the tales of woe I sold it as soon as I finished the renovation.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have had bad experience, I appreciate that Covid has hurt people’s earnings and they will struggle to pay. However to not pay at all and leave the property in disrepair and use the government rule to literally squat in a property is pretty unpleasant. We were dropped by the agent who did nothing and when they requested management fees it was pointed out they had not earned them and they to would have to “suck up the loss” caused an emotional response and then resigning the contract.
Current tenant was asked to pay 6 months up front, if we have failure to pay in the future my view is straight forward... they are leaving and the house will be cleared and sorted and then marketed as I am fed up of it and the lack legal back up.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
We used to have a flat in Stratford long before the Olympics was thought about. It had massive negative equity so we rented it out to various DSS miscreants until it was worth anything. Always problems always phone calls from the neighbours.... last tenant painted all the walls with black gloss! Was glad to see the back of it. Probably worth a fortune now though!

Are you actually suggesting violence is a better alternative to going through correct legal channels? Wow.

Sure why not? It probably won’t come to violence but the real threat of it will often resolve this sort of situation.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
We have had bad experience, I appreciate that Covid has hurt people’s earnings and they will struggle to pay. However to not pay at all and leave the property in disrepair and use the government rule to literally squat in a property is pretty unpleasant. We were dropped by the agent who did nothing and when they requested management fees it was pointed out they had not earned them and they to would have to “suck up the loss” caused an emotional response and then resigning the contract.
Current tenant was asked to pay 6 months up front, if we have failure to pay in the future my view is straight forward... they are leaving and the house will be cleared and sorted and then marketed as I am fed up of it and the lack legal back up.

No excuse for leaving it in disrepair, but what do you expect in a lockdown?

Our consumer credit team have to give out payment holidays, we can't even get proof. It's just the way it is. Huge amounts of people are completely out of work.

OntheteeGavin

Visit site
Sounds like I've been lucky, letting through an estate agent though.

Moved in to my now wife's property 5 years ago. I rent out my old house.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Absolutely,but it would be very refined-almost genteel-in application-as a quiet reminder of the renters responsibilities to sticking to agreement(also keeping not only my stress levels down but also my schizophrenia under control)!
Dear,dear,dear...you appear to think me rather uncouth-and dare I say 'CHAVVY?'
Thank you for your concern though(on behalf of thieving toe-rags throughout the land)
Lighten up SH.
Jimbo

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's amusing to me how people who are often posting about the inequalities in the country turn out to be the ones who profit from it.

Regarding the OP. Unbelievable attitude, we have laws to deal with these issues, you should be more careful about threatening violence.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's amusing to me how people who are often posting about the inequalities in the country turn out to be the ones who profit from it.

Regarding the OP. Unbelievable attitude, we have laws to deal with these issues, you should be more careful about threatening violence.
Glad it's amusing you SR and wish I had somewhere to rent out but as my situation is purely hypothetical then I couldn't threaten violence on anyone,could I??
As an aside though,if you were in a position of being owed £1,000's and being messed around by someone using the the laws we have to deal with these issues-and no sign of resolution in your favour----how long would you put up with it(say you were relying on that money as a for instance?
Just curious.................................I've obviously been brought wrongly,imagine believing that your word is your bond and that you do not let anyone down-silly me!
Jimbo

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
No excuse for leaving it in disrepair, but what do you expect in a lockdown?

Our consumer credit team have to give out payment holidays, we can't even get proof. It's just the way it is. Huge amounts of people are completely out of work.

One would imagine that if you are going to trash a house and that house not being your own. You would not think twice about not paying the rent. Not working has nothing to do with some houses that are being trashed. It’s just the mentality of some people.

Not going off on tangent, but if memory serves me right. People that live in social housing. Does any money from the council that pays for rent go directly to the tennant and it is then up to them to pay the home owner. Am sure Ave heard this is where problems can arise as some tenants are not passing on the money.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
One would imagine that if you are going to trash a house and that house not being your own. You would not think twice about not paying the rent. Not working has nothing to do with some houses that are being trashed. It’s just the mentality of some people.

Not going off on tangent, but if memory serves me right. People that live in social housing. Does any money from the council that pays for rent go directly to the tennant and it is then up to them to pay the home owner. Am sure Ave heard this is where problems can arise as some tenants are not passing on the money.

Oh no trashing it is inexcusable. I don't see the correlation to not paying anymore, to being a scumbag and trashing the place.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re the OP long before I was married I was living in a rented property and we had an ongoing dispute with the landlord over the state of the property and unfulfilled promises made when we started renting it. Towards the end the police were involved on a couple of occasions over what the landlord was doing. It all got settled very quickly after I got a threat of a knife in my back one dark night.

JollyRedDevil

Club Champion
Visit site
I have a house and 4 flats that I've rented out for the past 17 years. I have never had any problems with any tenants. I use a very good local agent to find me tenants. They do all sorts of financial checks and require multiple references from the tenants employers and previous land lords. This tends to weed out the riff raff. Also I have a few very long term tenants who are very reliable and I have not increased the rent for years as I don't want to lose them.

sunshine

Visit site
For those who rent out properties: how has the change in tax affected you? In the past you could offset costs such as mortgage interest against the rental income but I hear this has changed.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
For those who rent out properties: how has the change in tax affected you? In the past you could offset costs such as mortgage interest against the rental income but I hear this has changed.

Pay more tax, but the income and capital appreciation far outweighs any think I have invested in a bank or pension even after voids in tenancy and property repairs