Anybody Play Tennis

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do we have any tennis players on the forum ?
My 16 yo daughter has started playing tennis, she's had one or two lessons and has been told to get herself a raquet and balls. I have absolutely no idea what we should be looking for. A friend has mentioned that lighter raquets are better for beginners ?
I don't want to spend a fortune in case its another teenage fad, but don't want to end up buying twice if she starts to play more regularly.
Thanks in advance if anybody can offer any advice.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Long long time since I played to any kind of decent standard... But I'd advise getting the right size grip being of more importance... Sure others will advise otherwise... Guessing a quick look on YouTube will help show how right size is determined... HTH

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Completely agree with MegaSteve grip size is paramount helps prevent injury and will help with the feel of the shots. Other than that if she had/having lessons then a word with her instructor on good racquet's for beginner to intermediate level should suffice for now as no point buying something at top end if its a fad but you also want something of decent quality.

Once you have been given good advice its all about shopping around, looked at upgrading my Babolat ones last week and the LTA website has links to some decent online tennis specific stores with good deals.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't fall into that category i'm afraid, thats why i'm having to ask advice from others. ;)

I'm just a hairy arsed Scotsman that grew up on a council estate. :D
your names not ANDY is it,like most sports north of the border they don't have the same class chip on the shoulder attitude as sports down here,your golf is a fraction of the cost that we pay and I assume you have tennis clubs that cost very little to join and play unlike most of the one near me were it is like golf clubs used to be 20+ years ago,expensive and snobbish,let her have a go and I hope she enjoys it because that's what sport is about,enjoyment.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Local Sports Shop - if there's still one in existence - is probably the best place to start!

Starting at that age, and for that age, I'd be wary about spending too much as it could just be a temporary thing. Though for the same reason, there's a certain minimum spend required, otherwise you are just 'embarrassing'!

Though once at a reasonable level, it can be 'the game for life' with certain advantages over Golf.

sam19113

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm 19 and I've been playing tennis around ten years, my first racket was a cheap Wilson one from Sports Direct (or whatever it was back then) and it lasted me for around four years before I started playing at a better level.

Generally, you can buy decent quality rackets (Wilson, Head) for quite cheap probably around £20. For balls, Sports Direct is the best again for price. I picked some up the other month and got a couple of cans for around £2 each. Somehow they still have 'limited edition' balls from Wimbledon 2011 left!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've heard that grip size is important to avoid tennis elbow & other muscle strains.
Oh, and apparently wooden raquets have been replaced with those made from more modern materials! Really?

Slime.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I play and am fortunate to get my rackets from a tennis shop, which has a professional to give advice.The tennis version of American Golf.:eek:oo: Rackets are a bit like golf clubs, the ones the Pro's use would not suit a beginner/average club player. Not only do you need to get the right grip you also need to have the right tension in the strings. Junior/Female rackets normally have less tension so that you can get more power, and the rackets themselves are incredibily light. Not like the old Dunlop wooden rackets I played with as a kid !

I would have thought that if she is having lessons, the Pro could give her some advice. Often they will have second hand rackets they can sell, or can get new ones at a good price. There are a lot of good budget rackets around so noneed to spend a fortune.

I usually buy rackets just after the new model has come out. You can get some really good deals on the old ones, which are just as good.. Racket manufacturers produce new rackets quicker than TaylorMade produce new clubs.:whistle:

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know about the middle class comments or costs elsewhere, but my local Tennis club £120 for the year and unlimited Tennis I can even turn up in the clubhouse in Jeans:eek:

Do have to admit though there are some places that do think they are the All England club and won't let you passed the door without a blazer and cravat!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Had wood been invented by then Rich?
Still got my John McEnroe Dunlop racket. Too heavy for me to pick up now though !!

Cost of my club £70 a year, includes balls and cost of floodlights. Juniors £20. Don't understand all the talk about tennis being an expensive game.:confused: