Any tips welcome

Chris1980

Head Pro
Visit site
Due to the weather today had to hit the range. Have been having problems hitting my 4,5+6 irons. Keeping pulling them left. Dont do it with my driver or other irons and its really starting to annoy me! Have tried several things but to no avail! Any hints or tips would be good if anyone else has had similar.

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Without seeing a video it's just a question of checking all the basics.

If you've been hitting a few dodgy ones there might be a tendency to tense up, grip tighter and try to welly it. Check alignment, grip pressure, tempo etc.

If it's only certain clubs then chances are it's a mental issue.

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd be inclined to say its your tempo / rhythm. Swing at a pace that gravity dictates and see if the problem still exists.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
agree with Scratch that without video it's more about what it could be than what it is....

my guess would be that you are taking these irons back a little further at the top than shorter ones and in some way this is resultin in your problem - it could be a number of different things even there from laid off to the relationship of the bigger turn to the rest of your timing.

as a quick check you could try conciously restricting your turn with those clubs to see what impact that has

Chris1980

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Am reluctant to ask HID to come to the range to film my swing. Will def shorten the swing to see if this helps and slow it down a bit.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
First check your grip, is it strong?

You are probably swinging out to in with a shut clubface. Try opening the face a little, this may create a fade though.

What is your normal ball flight?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the rest of your game is good then its probably a mental thing.

This is a quick drill you can do between shots on the range, on the course or at home to get you from trying to force a good shot.

Grip the club as normal then take off your right hand (RH golfers).

Put your right hand just above your left wrist, grip it lightly.

Swing with just your left but keep your right attached. This will stop your right hand being too active, don't be lazy with the left, feel it squaring the club face and coming through.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hitting too hard at the ball can cause over rotation of the wrists. Take your 9 iron, hit a few good shots. Replace it with the 5 and try to keep the same tempo and rhythm, try to hit it the same distance as the 9 with the same swing. Hopefully you will see the benefits of rhythm and timing.