Any coin experts?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been helping my parents sort out their house before they move and have found some old coins. Any suggestions on where to take them to get them valued?

There are eight gold (in colour, not sure of the metal) King George 1913 coins in a leather pouch....

IMG_20201215_111922640.jpg IMG_20201215_111858911.jpg IMG_20201215_111906319.jpg

And several of these 1887 & 1888 Queen Victoria coins.....

IMG_20201215_112035319.jpg IMG_20201215_112042160.jpg IMG_20201215_112104544.jpg

Loads of others that I will hopefully get checked out but these seemed the most interesting.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Wow, they're pretty cool. I'd be keeping hold of them for as long as humanly possible.

Completed listings on eBay is as good a place as any to start, but I'd also be looking at your local auction houses. A quick google "coins auction colchester" presuming you're in/close to colchester (!) brings up these guys https://www.reemandansie.com/coins/ who seem to certainly give the impression they know what they're doing! Most of these places will do a valuation for insurance for a small fee. That's the way I'd be going... presuming they're worth something reasonable!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Very nice!

The gold ones are either sovereigns or half sovereigns, can't tell without knowing the size or weight, these tend to fluctuate with the gold price but a sovereign is currently going for around £400 to £500 depending on whether you're selling or buying.

The other two look like a florin and a crown (2 shillings and 5 shillings), don't know values but you should be able to look them up try sold prices on ebay for a good guide.

All in all a pretty good find.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditto to Crow's comments about the gold ones

Any auction house will value them and judging by the TV they always fetch there weight in gold value.

The 1887 one is a Victoria Jubilee crown

Just do a net search and you will get an idea of value.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could try your local museum if it’s open.
If they have a coin collection you could find out what they are before valuation.
They might make you an offer you never know.
It always pays to have a little knowledge about your stuff when selling.
Really nice find and think I would be keeping a few of them.
Nice bit of our history.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A full gold sovereign is 22 mm wide.
prices can fluctuate but over time go up. A nice investment indeed.

When me grandad died he had run a couple of pubs over the years. The gold and jewellery amongst other things he ( well mainly me granny ) had amassed over the years was unreal. When he died, it was all split between me mum and her sister. Me mother one day decided to cash in and went to the local market. She never had a clue how much gold, sovereigns, Krugerands etc etc were worth. Me and my brother went ballistic. We told her we would of bought it, we told her we would of had it valued for her. What I am saying is if you do decide to get rid, shop around.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What’s the purpose of the purse/ holder they are in?
Might be a merchants payment or something.
Seems a shame just selling for the metal content.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Turns out that they aren't all the same - just the four that I took out were the same. There are four of the King George (22mm diameter), two smaller ones with Victoria on them and two smaller ones with George on them. I'm assuming that's 4 George full sovereigns, two George half sovereigns and two Victoria half sovereigns. I've told them not to clean any of them and to make sure that they are professionally appraised before they do anything with them. Also told them that instead of leaving them out sitting on their dining table they might want to put them in a more secure location.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been helping my parents sort out their house before they move and have found some old coins. Any suggestions on where to take them to get them valued?

There are eight gold (in colour, not sure of the metal) King George 1913 coins in a leather pouch....

View attachment 33981View attachment 33982 View attachment 33983

View attachment 33984 View attachment 33985 View attachment 33986

Loads of others that I will hopefully get checked out but these seemed the most interesting.

Watching Flog it today the gold £5 Victoria 1887 coin was on it . Went for £1400. Sadly your one does not look gold.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finally got around to getting these valued. Was at my younger boy's football training one evening and one of the other dads was talking about going out with his metal detector. I asked him if he knew anything about coins and he gave me the details of a friend of his that was a collector and would be able to help me out. Have spoken to him today and been given a valuation of over £2500 for the collection - if selling to a collector rather than a dealer. Happy with the valuation, especially as he's said that he wouldn't buy the coins for his collection as he collects 15th and 16th century coins and he wouldn't want to make an offer on them as he'd be looking at an offer around £2000/2200 to make it worth his while buying them and then selling them on.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A good few years ago I sold a 3 piece suite to a workmate called Willy watcher. He used to work in the pit head baths and when he talked to you in the showers he had a habit of looking at your Willy. Anyway one day he came round with his dad to pick up the suite and his dad got talking about how he collected Roman coins. I told him the nearest had to Roman coins was brass pit checks. He asked if I would like to swop. We did. He reckoned some
Of the pit checks are worth more than Roman coins, which I still have

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't know much about old coins but all I do know is if their old and not in circulation some funny bugger will put them in the tuckshop at work...

Children ?

RichA

Visit site
Use them as ball markers. More class than a plastic poker chip. I use a half-crown. The old boys love 'em.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

View attachment 33981View attachment 33982 View attachment 33983

View attachment 33984 View attachment 33985 View attachment 33986

My mum had a few coins when she passed away. I found this site useful for approximate values. Link will take you straight to your last photo - could be a crown, but maybe a silver sovereign.
1887 UK crown value, Victoria, jubilee head (allcoinvalues.com)

I think your second to last photo is a double florin.
1888 UK double florin value, Victoria (allcoinvalues.com)

Last edited: