Any builder on here? Need some advice

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got an area of what can only be descibed as wasteland next to my house, so I've decided to bulid a lean to man cave as a project.
Going to be about 6m long by 2.5m wide. A bit unsure about the uprights and how to fix them.
First off I was thinking 5 would be enough? As to fixing them, I was thinking of using metposts but I've heard bad reports about them although they look a fairly simple solution.
Dig holes and postcrete them in? If I did it this way how deep would I need to go given I want it about 2m high, and how easy is would it be then to get them all the same height?
Or do the concrete floor first and bolt post holders to it? THat would solve the level problem but how deep concrete would I need for the bolts not to break out?
Thanks in advance

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I built a frame (approx. 10m sq.) to level our back garden then laid decking and a 6m x 3m summerhouse on top of it, access to the rear of the house was restricted to everything had to be manually carried from the front so I looked into and used 'Ground Screws' very good, easy to use and did the job well.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm doing exactly the same Paul right now. Mine is a bit shorter and thinner but will be perfect for bikes and the mower etc. I have laid a concrete slab, I am planning on using bolt-down post holders. I was going to gap the posts at about 1.8M.

Then a timber top and wall plate, simple joists/felt and some leftover big slate look tiles from the extension we did. not forgetting to lead it etc.

All within permitted development too.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Give me a shout whrn you're finished, you can come and do mine ??
How deep did you dig down for the concrete? I'm thinking thats the way forward for ease of levelling the uprights

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Give me a shout whrn you're finished, you can come and do mine ??
How deep did you dig down for the concrete? I'm thinking thats the way forward for ease of levelling the uprights

Not very deep, the vertical supports will only really be there to support the walls (which is protected by a fence very close) the roof structure will be solid and in reality ' self-contained' for want of a better phrase on the wall of the house via some decent wall anchors, so the sidewalls for me are almost aesthetic.

Concrete base is about 15/20cm deep

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a builder but a heluva lot of DIY

From my manual of skills and techniques

For a path (which I presume would be very similar) 25-50mm compacted rubble hard core and 50mm concrete.

At 6m long it should have an expansion gap in the middle ie at 3m

If you are laying it next a wall my book recommends, a bitumen coated batten next to the wall and laying in short squares alternately then filling in to give you room to stand for levelling and tamping (and remember to have a very slight slope away from the wall.

DSCN3909.JPG

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
this year i am building a pergola that will be attached across the back of the house (approx 5M) and extending out to the end of the patio (approx 3.5m) and will be using metal surface mounts.

there will be a run off of say 10 degrees so we can put a poly carbonate roof on it too.