Any advice on regular 'maintenance' exercises and warm up routines?

Visit site
Hi gang,

I've struggled for ages with poor core muscle strength and a VERY stiff (inflexible) lower back. It was improved by some very expensive pilates a few years ago but I didn;t keep it up and I'm back to square one - a bit of a hunch-back golfer. I'm finding that 18 holes really kills me and I get lots of muscle ache in the upper and lower back. There's loads of content on youtube but it's wading through what looks decent and what doesn't. Any tips on getting a daily exercise/stretching routine that specifically helps with golf-related muscle groups and general flexibility? Any youtubers that are good in this regard?

Also, I try and do 30 minutes of looseing up pre-round, but I really don't know what I'm doing and for all I know, I'm making things worse... I'm just into my 50s, but haven;t been sporty for over 30 years :(

Siolag

Visit site
Hi gang,

I've struggled for ages with poor core muscle strength and a VERY stiff (inflexible) lower back. It was improved by some very expensive pilates a few years ago but I didn;t keep it up and I'm back to square one - a bit of a hunch-back golfer. I'm finding that 18 holes really kills me and I get lots of muscle ache in the upper and lower back. There's loads of content on youtube but it's wading through what looks decent and what doesn't. Any tips on getting a daily exercise/stretching routine that specifically helps with golf-related muscle groups and general flexibility? Any youtubers that are good in this regard?

Also, I try and do 30 minutes of looseing up pre-round, but I really don't know what I'm doing and for all I know, I'm making things worse... I'm just into my 50s, but haven;t been sporty for over 30 years :(

Where are you based? Is it worth speaking to either a Pro, a physio or both? I’m about to go for a golf fitness screening that aims to look for any issues and things that could cause issues at a local Physio.

Visit site
Where are you based? Is it worth speaking to either a Pro, a physio or both? I’m about to go for a golf fitness screening that aims to look for any issues and things that could cause issues at a local Physio.

I'm based down in Sussex and a member of Haywards Heath GC. We've got a new Pro and I've not had any real contact with him yet. I might book a lesson (could do with a top up) and see if he knows of any physios that have golf-specific training.

I'll try the venerable Miguel Angel's routine too: I'm part Spanish and like my wine almost as much as him so I'm sure I'll get on with it :ROFLMAO:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
[QUOTE="McToot the Bandit, post: 2202502, member: ... I'm just into my 50s, but haven;t been sporty for over 30 years :([/QUOTE]

You're just a mere child, just go out and do it ??

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
"this" did this before lock down and def helped, esp the golf Spec ones of shoulder turn, do thos now waiting to tee off on the first

Wolf

Visit site
Hi gang,

Drop me a PM about what and where you get pain or feel and I'll put a little stretching routine together for you ??

Chico84

Visit site
A good youtube warm up I use a fair bit is by Mike Malaska. I’ve played rugby for years so my body is a bit broken and I have a bad back. I found this routine to be comprehensive but not too taxing before a round. Of course you can also do select exercises as you go around the course.

As for longer term programmes it’s definitely worth talking to a physio and explaining exactly what you are looking for. If you google local physios you’ll find some will have specific sport expertise too, so you may find someone with a golf focus.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I was given these exercises by a chiropractor for golf specific flexibility. They are too difficult to describe the actual movement but if you search the names on YouTube loads of videos are available. Exercises as follows. First number is amount of time, second is number of sets.

Excercises are as follows:
Supine pelvic tilts 1:30 (2)
Cats and dogs 2:00 (2)
Hip drops 2:00 (2)
Hip circles 3:00 (2)
Hip flexor stretch with side bend 2:20 (1)
Bridge (palms down) 2:00 (2)
Prone planks 3:00 (2)
Open books 11 min (2)
Prayer stretch 1:30 (1)
Standing flexion extension 3:00 (1)

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I like De Franco's agile 8 or limber 11 ( both found on the internet) great pre workout routine. Again ask the WOLF for some advice.