Any advice for my 4 man team event (20 players, 5 teams) when one drops out?

Graham Troth

Visit site
I run a small away trip for friends. We have five teams of consisting of 20 players. Scoring; all players must score on par fives and par threes and play a Stableford. This is simple and always works. One person cannot go now and the leaves a team of three. I am just wondering how to make this fair for the team of three to have a chance of winning. Its only fun, but I just can't think of anything? Many thanks for some ideas. Graham

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My suggestion is either give the 3ball full handicap & the others 75/80%, or change format to everyone holes out for their own individual stableford score and the winning group is the one with the best average.

Graham Troth

Visit site
My suggestion is either give the 3ball full handicap & the others 75/80%, or change format to everyone holes out for their own individual stableford score and the winning group is the one with the best average.
Many thanks for this, that is a really great idea, I will take that one on board. I am sorry, I am new to all this and trying to work around the site, cheers.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
19 names in a hat and draw one who then becomes a ghost player, whos score will count in their own group but also used to be added to the 3-ball to make them a 4

(or get another player)

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I run a small away trip for friends. We have five teams of consisting of 20 players. Scoring; all players must score on par fives and par threes and play a Stableford. This is simple and always works. One person cannot go now and the leaves a team of three. I am just wondering how to make this fair for the team of three to have a chance of winning. Its only fun, but I just can't think of anything? Many thanks for some ideas. Graham

Won't be perfect but can you just give the "missing player" 2 points per hole. May be slight generous for par fives and par threes where all count, but I expect par fours (assuming 2 out of 4 count) then more often than not 2 of the 4 would get 2 points so I don't think the group really gains anything from this given they lose the extra player that may make 3 pointers. I guess you could tweak it to assign 32 points (randomly pick the 1 point holes) if we think people don't play to handicap always.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
19 names in a hat and draw one who then becomes a ghost player, whos score will count in their own group but also used to be added to the 3-ball to make them a 4

(or get another player)

I've got visions of someone lining up a birdie putt but then realising two of their playing partners have already bagged the points so putts off the green to give his team the best chance :D

I expect unlikely to happen to that suggestion works pretty well i think.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've got visions of someone lining up a birdie putt but then realising two of their playing partners have already bagged the points so putts off the green to give his team the best chance :D

I expect unlikely to happen to that suggestion works pretty well i think.

That's why the ghost player doesn't get to know they are the ghost until after the round (e.g Bruce Willis) :sneaky:

edit to add: oh and naturally it also means the ghost has 2 chances to be in the winning group because they're in 2 fourballs (y)

AAC

Visit site

(or get another player)

On a winter sunday morning we play an eclectic but also play blind pairs for a couple of pounds, if there is an odd number that's exactly what we do, it seems the fairest way.

D

Deleted member 23270

When this happens in our rollup the 3 man team gets a ghost player that scores 2 points on every hole. Not very scientific but seems to work reasonably well.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depending on how many have to score on par 4s, take the second best score on the hole to count as the missing player's score.