Another thread on the possibility of cheating

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A friend of mine used to play with (and I did a couple of times)with a guy who used to change the type of ball he was using on specific holes. I didn't know this at the time and only found out quite recently.
My question is, is this a form of cheating? I can understand changing your ball if you have just lost your favourite and last Pro v1, but changing balls depending on what particular hole you are playing seems a bit underhand to me. Of course what I dont know is, was this guy also changing his ball during the winter rule time, thus giving himself a better chance. What do you think?

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
You can't change your ball once it is in play on a hole except as allowed for in the rules (damaged, lost etc). Between holes you can change every time if you so wish. I believe professional tournaments have a "one ball" rule which means players must play with the same brand/model of ball for the whole round or tournament.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldnt bother about it, anyone who changes their balls that often is an odd bod to me, but its ok to do this so long as its not during a hole, and they let you know what they are changing to for ID purposes.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
There will be comps that have a "one ball rule" where the same type and compression etc must be used for the whole round. These will generally be low h'cap/ elite comps through to Pro stuff though.

T

thecraw

I may be wrong but is there something about not being able to change ball compression, eg use a softer 90 compression then change to 100 compression on longer holes.

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
There will be comps that have a "one ball rule" where the same type and compression etc must be used for the whole round. These will generally be low h'cap/ elite comps through to Pro stuff though.

This is true, Pro's cannot change the type of ball and compression during a ROUND. They can change to an idenitcal ball if needed/wanted at the beginning of any hole. I have been told (can't remember when - it might have been something I read)that a tour pro changes his ball at least every 2 holes.

To be honest I always assumed this applied to amateur golf comps as well. I never change a type of ball once started. Habit I suppose.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
A friend of mine used to play with (and I did a couple of times)with a guy who used to change the type of ball he was using on specific holes. I didn't know this at the time and only found out quite recently.
My question is, is this a form of cheating? I can understand changing your ball if you have just lost your favourite and last Pro v1, but changing balls depending on what particular hole you are playing seems a bit underhand to me.

Sounds weird to me.....underhand?....can't see it.
I often change to a spin ball on par 3s and have been known to swap from my normal Wilsons (Px3)to a Nike Vapour on the long holes. I simply state something like "I've got a new ball out, Nike 2"
I'm always swapping balls mid-round, sometimes just to use a new one sometimes "intentionally" for par 3s. I play the first at mine with the softest ball in my bag and then pull out something different on the 2nd. Every time!! :)

:D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldnt bother about it, anyone who changes their balls that often is an odd bod to me, but its ok to do this so long as its not during a hole, and they let you know what they are changing to for ID purposes.

I guess that's me then! Odd Bod :rolleyes:

You wouldn't catch me using a distance ball with a wedge or 9 iron standing on the tee of a short par 3!!!