Another GPS Question - boffin's view needed

V

vkurup

GPS derive their position from satellites, so the engineer in my head says, that a golf course should look very flat from up there. So my question is: Does the GPS find my distance to a flag 'as the crow flies' or 'the walking length'. For example, we have a very steep downhill 160y P3 where I play. However the 'as a crow fly' distance between the tee box and flag would not be more than 120y. So how does the GPS satellite know what the distance it? (perfect Thursday lunch riddle)

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
It "knows" the heights etc but gives you the distance without height changes.

Remember if the device is capable of altering the distance given based on slope then it's illegal. That's not the same as measuring direct to the flag distance (as a laser would).

V

vkurup

GPS gives distance between two points without taking account of slopes.
Stubs that is what I thought, so if the satellite is looking at two points i.e. the flag and the tee box from up in the sky it should see only about 120y rather than 160y??? intriguing.

V

vkurup

I'm off to try it. It'll be on an iphone though so will the results still be accepted as a legal answer?

Can you add me to your Will... happy to keep the clubs and the iPhone :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For example, we have a very steep downhill 160y P3 where I play. However the 'as a crow fly' distance between the tee box and flag would not be more than 120y.

I realise you may be exaggerating to get your point across, but the hole you mention above would have a fall from tee to green of 105yds and a slope of 41° to walk down.

If the grass were cut to fairway length you'd be better off knocking it over the edge of the teeing box with your putter.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I realise you may be exaggerating to get your point across, but the hole you mention above would have a fall from tee to green of 105yds and a slope of 41° to walk down.

If the grass were cut to fairway length you'd be better off knocking it over the edge of the teeing box with your putter.

Sounds like the first par 3 at the three locks near MK lol

V

vkurup

Hoebridge 6th: I think the distance of 160 is cut down to 140 or less. Unfortunately, cant putt your way over since there is a bridle path and a couple of greenside bunkers on approach side.

However, the 4th on Shey Copse (9 hole course part of Hoebridge), the 180 is cut down 150ish. Last month, I won the nearest to pin. Topped my 7iron, only to see the ball roll all the way to about 3 feet of the pin. Got a lot of grief and was reminded about it during this months comp. (my big fish story)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
it depends........

the system will use the data from as many points as possible to determine 'where you are', and is in fact able to determine this in 3D ie it can pinpoint your position and your altitude.

however in this case they wouldn't be reporting the altitude so they would only report that you have moved 1 yd.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like all good riddles, I suspect that this is based on a false premise.

As far as I'm aware, the length of a par 3 is measured "on plan" from the distance marker on the tee to the centre of the green - not up/down any slope.

Can you confirm whether you have actually used a GPS device to measure the distance from stone to centre of green, measured it on Google Earth, or are you just assuming that the distance is about 120 yds 'cos that's the club you use to get there?

GPS derive their position from satellites, so the engineer in my head says, that a golf course should look very flat from up there. So my question is: Does the GPS find my distance to a flag 'as the crow flies' or 'the walking length'. For example, we have a very steep downhill 160y P3 where I play. However the 'as a crow fly' distance between the tee box and flag would not be more than 120y. So how does the GPS satellite know what the distance it? (perfect Thursday lunch riddle)

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I have understood that information from Garmin correctly, it had no real relevance to your "riddle". It is highlighting that the satellite derived height can vary from the mapped height. Nothing to do with your question.

Perhaps you might like to answer my question ....

"
Can you confirm whether you have actually used a GPS device to measure the distance from stone to centre of green, measured it on Google Earth, or are you just assuming that the distance is about 120 yds 'cos that's the club you use to get there?"

V

vkurup

Can you confirm whether you have actually used a GPS device to measure the distance from stone to centre of green, measured it on Google Earth, or are you just assuming that the distance is about 120 yds 'cos that's the club you use to get there?"

It is my golfer view... If I can get there with a 6 iron, then it must be 160y... thats the same why I get my distance while driving... aka.. The car in front is about a 9iron away..

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is my golfer view... If I can get there with a 6 iron, then it must be 160y

There's the prob - it lands vertically when the green is so far below you, so you lose the circa 20 yards of run (?) that you would have got with the same club if the landing area was level with the tee.

PS No way the 6th at Hoebridge is 41degs ! You walk straight down it, so it is closer to 10 to 15 degrees