Annual Handicap Review

TheSilverFox89

Medal Winner
Visit site
The other day I received a letter from the club to say that after the Annual Review my HCP will be cut by 2 shots from 23.2 to 21.2. Perfect! :)

Played a friendly round today and spoke to the club pro before we went out and he said my HCP was already in play. The letter states "....revised handicap for the start of the 2015 season...", for me the start of the season is the first qualifying medal (April time) as opposed to with immediate effect. With it being winter the change, whether immediate or later, would make little difference as all competitions are non qualifying, most are on temp greens and tees further up so HCP's are not cut or 0.1 increased during this time.

I am however in a winter matchplay competition that started in November and runs until the end of March. I'm currently through to the 3rd round and now I'm being told that my next round match will be off of the new cut HCP. I understand that this is within the rules (CONGU UHS Part 6 Decisions - 4a) that matchplay comps with "to be played by" formats, however I can't seem to find a solid answer on when my new HCP takes effect. Should it take immediate effect, or should it come into effect as of the first qualifying competition? A link to a clause or rule would be great!

Don't get me wrong, I'm chuffed to have received the cut, however I question when it should take effect. I could come up against a player adjusted up, me down, and the result could be massively different to if we'd played a week ago.

Thanks in advance :)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A handicap cut comes into effect immediately.
A handicap adjustment the other way doesn't come into effect until it is posted up.
;)

Players are are responsible for adjusting their own handicap. If you play a comp on Saturday and another on Sunday I thought you had to change your own handicap even if scores are not processed?

D

Deleted member 15344

Players are are responsible for adjusting their own handicap. If you play a comp on Saturday and another on Sunday I thought you had to change your own handicap even if scores are not processed?

Only if you believe you have a cut - as opposed to giving yourself .1 back :thup:

As for the OP - your HC change is active from the minute the button is pressed

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
You've obviously had a good year and recorded some good comps scores. The cut is ineffect now it seems poor wording from the committee on your notification.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You've obviously had a good year and recorded some good comps scores. The cut is ineffect now it seems poor wording from the committee on your notification.

+1

It should really have simply stated 'with immediate effect'!

@Kent. Only reductions, but indeed so for them. And if the CSS is not known (comp not been processed), you measure against the SSS.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What I cannot get my head around is that some courses drop the HCP through the winter season and others don't but they use the congu scoring system.

There was comp at our place last Sunday and a guy had his first handicap of 13 he then went out and shot 45 points having finished bogey double bogey bogey. Having shot four birdies in fifteen holes and one under after ten holes

how comes if he has been given an initial HCP he cannot be dropped til April but at other courses he can.

There is another lad at our place who has been walking comps literally week after week, but has never been dropped. It's got so bad that some people will not play in midweek comps if he's in them.

D

Deleted member 15344

What I cannot get my head around is that some courses drop the HCP through the winter season and others don't but they use the congu scoring system.

There was comp at our place last Sunday and a guy had his first handicap of 13 he then went out and shot 45 points having finished bogey double bogey bogey. Having shot four birdies in fifteen holes and one under after ten holes

how comes if he has been given an initial HCP he cannot be dropped til April but at other courses he can.

There is another lad at our place who has been walking comps literally week after week, but has never been dropped. It's got so bad that some people will not play in midweek comps if he's in them.

All depends on if the comp has been deemed a qualifier or not - there could be various reasons for the deeming the comp non qualifier

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Can't see the point in worrying about what other folk are scoring - unless they are abusing the system(cheating). My game/score is the only thing I have any control of, so that what I focus on!

I had 1 particular good year, especially over Winter, but the fact that I was either practicing or playing every day had quite a bit to do with it!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
@Kent. Only reductions, but indeed so for them. And if the CSS is not known (comp not been processed), you measure against the SSS.

Only for reductions?

So, if I am sitting at 5.4 and play terribly on a Saturday and will clearly go +0.1, I can't play off 6 on the Sunday if scores are not processed?

D

Deleted member 15344

Only for reductions?

So, if I am sitting at 5.4 and play terribly on a Saturday and will clearly go +0.1, I can't play off 6 on the Sunday if scores are not processed?

That is correct because the comp could end up reductions only etc

Tashyboy

Visit site
Can't see the point in worrying about what other folk are scoring - unless they are abusing the system(cheating). My game/score is the only thing I have any control of, so that what I focus on!

I had 1 particular good year, especially over Winter, but the fact that I was either practicing or playing every day had quite a bit to do with it!

Foxholer im not worried what he scored, it was just an example of I don't understand why some courses have qualifying comps and others dont. Why is it ok for someone to put three cards in during the winter which count towards his handicap, but in his first comp his score does not affect his handicap to the extent of it either going up or down.

Again I understand there are reasons why it may be deemed that it's not a NQ comp but to have non at all over the winter at some courses, that I don't understand when there are qualifying comps at others.

D

Deleted member 15344

Foxholer im not worried what he scored, it was just an example of I don't understand why some courses have qualifying comps and others dont. Why is it ok for someone to put three cards in during the winter which count towards his handicap, but in his first comp his score does not affect his handicap to the extent of it either going up or down.

Again I understand there are reasons why it may be deemed that it's not a NQ comp but to have non at all over the winter at some courses, that I don't understand when there are qualifying comps at others.

Some courses dramtically shorten the course that means it goes below the measured SSS by enough to make it a non qualifier , some use temp tees or temp holes or have bunkers out of play - changing weather , course not up to standard - lots of reasons why.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Only a few miles from you but we have three qualifiers a week all year round.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

He could always submit a supplementary or 2 if not qualifying comps. Unless course is shortened beyond allowances for SSS to apply.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I can certainly sympathise! It's one of the first questions I would ask of any prospective new club! Any that said no Qualifying over Winter would go to the bottom of my list!

Tashyboy

Visit site
Only a few miles from you but we have three qualifiers a week all year round.

It was something you mentioned the other week when you said you had a good run and had your handicap dropped and was chuffed to bits that made me wonder why some courses do and some don't.

TheSilverFox89

Medal Winner
Visit site

Many thanks all!

Like I said, happy to be cut but the wording was a bit off. This was my first full season of golf having only joined the previous summer, just my consistency that let me down in competitions. I guess the cut reflects my "what could have been" rounds, ie 35 points with 4 blobs etc.

Roll on 2015 and good luck all! :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This was my first full season of golf having only joined the previous summer, just my consistency that let me down in competitions. I guess the cut reflects my "what could have been" rounds, ie 35 points with 4 blobs etc.

Roll on 2015 and good luck all! :)

from your home club records your consistency was the reason that you would have been flagged for review/reduction - nothing to do with the could have been element in your scores really.

you played to handicap (made buffer or better) in 7 of the 10 records I found which, for a cat 4 golfer is amazingly consistent

add the win in the early NQ 3 club event and there's not a lot of reason for the committee to ignore the system driven recommendation!

all the best for 2105