An I being ripped off?

Tangerine

Visit site
Hello everyone.

I'm just after a bit of advice on some golf clubs really.

I'm fairly new to golf and have just started to get a real taste for the sport recently. The clubs that I currently own are pretty crap to be honest.

I have been offered a full set on Ping G10s + Ping putter for £400.

They are like new, basically pristine. I just don't know if it is a good deal.

Also, are they good clubs for a beginner?

Any advice at all will be appreciated.

Thanks...

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Good clubs for a beginner, yes.

Sounds expensive to me, depending on what is actually included. .

Spend the money on lessons. Then let your pro suggest clubs.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Price seems high but my main issue would be whether they are from a reputable source. There are a lot of fakes around that look very convincing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems a bit steep, but depends on where you are getting them from. Good clubs though. Dependent on the shafts, they are suitable for most folk. I know high handicappers who use them well and I know at least 1 single figure guy who just changed from G10s to another set of Pings.

And have you tried them out? If you are going to spend that much, it would seem rather daft not to do so, if they are available, would you buy a car without trying it?

I'd think it wouldn't take much to get a decent 'set' for a lot less - around £200. It really depends on what you want. What exactly are the current ones?

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's a fortune, can't you buy g25's for like £350 new?

My buddy got a set of G2's for £100

I got my AP1's for the same, used but very very good condition

Tangerine

Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

I haven't tried them out, no. Mainly because they are from a private seller. They seem to think that they bought them for nearly £1500 when new, and that the putter was £200 alone.

My clubs now are really bad, quite a miss-match. Got a Nike SQ driver, a very old Taylormade wood, old Hippo irons and a Dunlop putter - so I'm pretty desperate for new clubs.

Here's a couple of images of them:

Golf 1.jpgGolf.jpg

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
So is it £400 for the driver and the hybrids pictured too? cant make out what the putter is.. £400 for the irons, woods putter and bag is not that bad...

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the £400 is for what you see that pic (e.g. all woods, putter, irons, wedges, bag and a Leadbetter thingy), then £400 is OK IMO. Obviously depends on their condition though....

A

Alex1975

Yes it's £400 for all. Not sure what the putter is myself, but they said it was over £200 new.

Its a Scotty Cameron Red X Putter. I would say this is a good deal and they are good clubs for a new player.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes it's £400 for all. Not sure what the putter is myself, but they said it was over £200 new.

get details first i.e name and model of putter, shaft of the irons and woods and condition of them (you say pristine, is that from your opinion or the seller?)
Have you tried them? maybe you wont like the look of them! worth trying before you buy

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Still seems a tad steep.

Putter cover is from a Scotty Red X, but if it's that copper/brass one, then it's not a Red X. That would have a bearing on cost/value as Red X is a valuable putter, but no idea of what that one is. So ask exactly what type of putter it is - and what length.

Ask what wedges - type and lofts as well. And also what 'dot' the ping irons are. They vary according to what specs the Ping Fitting process comes up with. You can do your own to check by interpreting this chart - http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...aaqHcrmPPy3gNgJ&sqi=2&ved=0CD8Q9QEwAg&dur=498

And you really do need to try them out. If they don't suit you, then it doesn't matter how good or cheap they are!

£1500 is probably not far off the total for brand new Ping setup. Ask Homer how much his set was! :D Second hand value is far less though.

As I previously posted, would you buy a car this way?

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Red X is a good putter but you can get bargains on these on ebay, £400 sounds steep I have to say in initial instinct how ever if you are getting all as pictured including the bag, driver etc then you may actually have a reasonable deal, rough idea of what i'd value at which isnt perfect or right by any means.

Driver = £70
Fairways/Hybrids = £100
Irons = £150
Putter = £75/£100
Wedge = £40
Bag = £40

Total = £475 to £500????

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
i'd also pop in AG or the like and see what you could get for your £400 in comparision, the putter maybe a scotty but if you dont like it then its £200 wasted.
G10 Pings are decent clubs but are 2 models behind now and also check the correct lie colour dot as Foxy mentions.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think £400 is very reasonable for the whole setup inc bag / irons / 3 woods / putter. If they are in good condition I'd go for it.

Be hard pressed to put a better bag together locally at that price (without resorting to ebay which can be a bit hit or miss).