American Golf - poor service

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bad experience with the American Golf store at Trent Lock Notts. I reserved some shoes on the 'Click and Collect' system. On arriving a few hours later, they couldn't find them, despite the stock apparently being there. I was promised they would get them from a nearby store that evening and keep them for me. Three days I have just gone back and the shoes are still not there. Told them to forget it.

I will not be using American Golf again. Pathetic.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Bad experience with the American Golf store at Trent Lock Notts. I reserved some shoes on the 'Click and Collect' system. On arriving a few hours later, they couldn't find them, despite the stock apparently being there. I was promised they would get them from a nearby store that evening and keep them for me. Three days I have just gone back and the shoes are still not there. Told them to forget it.

I will not be using American Golf again. Pathetic.

I've found there click and collect service a little shoddy as well, I think if you get a store full of lazy :blah: working there and they fail to check the system regularly then they fail to get your items ready.

Email AG and let them know as it's no use on here :thup:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
These threads make me a bit angry. I have no affiliation to American Golf, or any other golf shop but when I see these 'they didn't do this' slagging off the shop, I always wonder how many times the poster has used the shop before with no problems and not posted about the good service?

is it a British trait to moan all the time and never praise a company when things are good - trip advisor for example?

i now wait for a torrent of replies:mad:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
These threads make me a bit angry. I have no affiliation to American Golf, or any other golf shop but when I see these 'they didn't do this' slagging off the shop, I always wonder how many times the poster has used the shop before with no problems and not posted about the good service?

is it a British trait to moan all the time and never praise a company when things are good - trip advisor for example?

It definitely does seem a British trait to moan - away from/after the point where the service has been poor. Brits don't seem to like making a fuss - perhaps for fear of 'standing out'!

I'm certain that this is in response to the reality that, even though the supplier knows they've provided poor service, they don't do anything significant to remedy it. The above example is a classic one and a fob-off apology is often accepted.

Coming from a Brit based culture, NZ occasionally (or often) had a similar issue, but I noticed that there was a sea-change a while ago, when tourism really became important. I also put a lot of it down to a single, very successful Whitegoods retailer, whose USP was a slightly cringe-ish personal ad saying 'It's the putting right that counts. Ask for me - Alan Martin'.

In the US, where the customer is king and some folk pay to serve (!!), there is a completely different attitude! Likewise in France at times - but at the other end of the scale!

Dealing successfully with such conflicts - that will inevitably crop up from time to time - requires a bit of knowledge about the culture of the country and the company. AG (Head Office) are apparently quite sensitive to customer complaints, though I have never had to test that view!

This isn't the first time I have heard of problems with their 'reserve on-line' offering though!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Stick in a complaint to head office, you might get some vouchers
Which you can give to me as you aren't going to be using them any more :)

Happy to help :)

G

guest100718

I have used AG a few times and the service has been excellent.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
also used 4 different stores, all have been excellent! there was once the manservant that didn't tug his forelock enough times to me on entering the store, but apart from that it's a retail business that we all go to on a regular basis no matter what anyone says.

dontfancythisputt

Club Champion
Visit site
I find the service at both my local AG's very variable.

I have received terrible service at both stores and then had excellent service on other visits, very hit and miss.

I have had problems with the click and reserve system on two occasions as the item has come up as in stock on the computer but when arriving at the store I've been told they only have the display models left. I agree that this isn't actually the systems fault but I now call the store to check before travelling.

I can't really knock AG on the whole as they are nearly always the cheapest when price matching and I feel that they must get really feed up with people who are going there with no intention to spend but still want a hit with the latest clubs.

AG is great for being able to see and feel equipment before buying and that's really what I use it for.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Pro be fair though. If you order something and it's there. Doesn't that constitute service so good they warrant positive feedback? That's just you paying for a service and them providing it. Nothing above and beyond. I'd suggest that if the op had had the shoes collected from another store and ready the next day. Positive feedback would have been in order. But just providing the serve they're paid for is nothing special IMO.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had real issues with AG in the past and so they are a last resort for most things these days. That's said many others have come on and had a wonderful service even when there has been problems. I think the issue the OP has lack of any concern that there was a problem and that they didn't seem overly keen to resolve the issue quickly and efficiently. It's like anything in life, we want it and want it now but if there is a problem, as long as we're treated with respect and people try their best to find a solution then we'll live with that.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to say I have used the click and collect service at the Plymouth AG and the service has been first class.
I ordered a pair of shoes online on Saturday afternoon and got to the shop half an hour before it closed. Not only did the chap help me out as I had ordered the wrong size online but he sorted that and got the size I tried to order and a size that wasn't listed as I'm a size 13!!!!
I've been there a few times now and had nothing but good service without any hard sell.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I can tell you exactly how many times I have used American Golf's 'Click and Collect service' - None. I ordered four items, left it a few hours before going to (supposedly) collect them. They had to ferret around looking for stuff, eventually found two which I purchased, couldn't find a shirt and I accepted a different colour, and the shoes were not forthcoming. Either on my original trip or three days later when I was told they would be in stock the next day. If that is a service that you would be satisfied with, then good for you.

I accept that it is more down the quality of the staff in different places. I emailed American Golf about the poor service provided by their Trent Lock store and have yet to receive a reply.