Amazing places not in the LP guides.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
If like me you are not a fan of Lonely Planet guides, what less well known places are still very much worth visiting?

I'll nominate Dudley in the West Midlands.
Set on a limestone ridge it has a town centre overlooked by a castle.

It has one of the most remarkable geological sites in Britain at Wren's Nest.

It has the Black Country Museum with Victorian settings and a mine.

I'm also including the adjacent Rowley Hills area.
Running underneath Turner's Hill is the Netherton Tunnel at nearly 2 miles long carrying the Dudley number 2 canal.
You will need a torch. Good walk for a hot day and a cold day because it is pleasantly warm inside.
Play the 9 hole golf course and while walking down the 3rd hole you will see off to your left the exposed face of Turner's Hill, and possibly the most dramatic view from any course.

RichA

Visit site
It's not exactly lesser known, but Dartmoor. I can't stop returning for my annual solo retreat.
Don't bother with a guide - just rely on Ordnance Survey and a smartphone. Bleak moorland, rocky tors, wild swimming, wild camping, crazy weather, free fly fishing, pretty villages, great pubs, stunning golf courses and beaches nearby.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If like me you are not a fan of Lonely Planet guides, what less well known places are still very much worth visiting?

I'll nominate Dudley in the West Midlands.
Set on a limestone ridge it has a town centre overlooked by a castle.

It has one of the most remarkable geological sites in Britain at Wren's Nest.

It has the Black Country Museum with Victorian settings and a mine.

I'm also including the adjacent Rowley Hills area.
Running underneath Turner's Hill is the Netherton Tunnel at nearly 2 miles long carrying the Dudley number 2 canal.
You will need a torch. Good walk for a hot day and a cold day because it is pleasantly warm inside.
Play the 9 hole golf course and while walking down the 3rd hole you will see off to your left the exposed face of Turner's Hill, and possibly the most dramatic view from any course.
Another shout for Dudley, the canal is next door to Black Country museum so that’s also a must. As is the pub rest that does the desperate Dan pies Hmmmmm.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Dartmoor is in the guide.
Kippford is not on the Mull of Galloway in Wigtownshire. It is in Kirkudbrightshire.
In Scotland I'll plump for Crovie and Pennan in Aberdeenshire.

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Another shout for Dudley, the canal is next door to Black Country museum so that’s also a must. As is the pub rest that does the desperate Dan pies Hmmmmm.
Does it do faggots and peas?

Dudley can also lay claim to be a cradle of the industrial revolution.
The first steam engine to pump water out of mines was used there.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've done the Dudley canal trip, it's a bloody long tunnel and it's pitch black for a good while, the captains turned off the lights on the barge, to give everyone the true feeling of the darkness.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I've done the Dudley canal trip, it's a bloody long tunnel and it's pitch black for a good while, the captains turned off the lights on the barge, to give everyone the true feeling of the darkness.

bit like being down the pit and your cap lamp stops working coz the battery is dead ?

Tashyboy

Visit site

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
As for Wales I'll go for Newport, Pembrokeshire.
Not only does it have the Preseli Hills in the background, it has a bay, an estuary, spectacular cliffs, a good sandy beach, the Wales Coast Path, and a golf course which is part dunes and part cliff top.
The Dinas Head peninsula a little further away has a glorious 3 miles circular walk.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/...les/pembrokeshire/articles/the-other-newport/

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/strumble-head-to-cardigan/trails/dinas-island-spectacular-walk