Am I getting a good deal?

RyanY3105

Visit site
Hi folks.

I am looking to take the sport up and going to be buying my first set of clubs. I have came across a full set of Mizuno Widec clubs (minus the driver) for £80 GBP - does this sound like a good deal? Also, would this set be ok for me as my first set for me learning the sport - are they forgiving?

I have also came across a full set of Wilson clubs that I have yet to see. Would I be better with a Wilson set over the Mizuno to get me started?

Thanks.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Widec are a fairly old set but nothing wrong with that, £80 sounds a bit pricey though especially without driver. Wilson generally make good stuff.

I'd search eBay for sets local to you then ask on here if they're any good. You should have no trouble finding a set for under £50 including driver.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Widec are a fairly old set but nothing wrong with that, £80 sounds a bit pricey though especially without driver. Wilson generally make good stuff.

I'd search eBay for sets local to you then ask on here if they're any good. You should have no trouble finding a set for under £50 including driver.
The last sentence is good advice. You should be able to get stuff for 50-100 easily. Also, try to get slightly better known stuff (I've never heard of widec, and I've heard of most things) as it will generate a bit of resale for when you inevitably change later.

RyanY3105

Visit site

What make of clubs would you recommend for me starting out?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
What make of clubs would you recommend for me starting out?

Starting out I don't think it matters too much. A half set is considered a good option but it's easier to find a full set than a half!
As long as the irons are all the same model you should be okay, I play a different set each week and can honestly say that there's not much difference between sets.

Starting out your main goal is learning to swing the club and choosing what shot to play in any given situation, ie don't try and reach the green from 150 yards out in the rough!
Over the coming months find a putter you feel happy with, the rest of the clubs won't really make a difference for a while as long as they're not massively over long or short.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think these came out in 2004 so quite old. High handicap clubs i believe so should suite but sounds a bit expensive for 15 year old clubs

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Here's a set for collection only (Collection only will be your best chance of getting a bargain which is why I'd make a search based on "nearest first" in the ebay search filter).
Not sure what they'll end up going for but probably around a tenner. They're pretty old but ideal for you to get a taste and see if you like it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ben-saye...102709?hash=item4b68852235:g:spoAAOSwy9hdRtoh

(And thanks for starting this thread, I just stumbled across a very nice set of vintage blades while looking for the above, fingers crossed :D)

njt1986

Visit site
Golf bidder is also a great resource for clubs.

Got my current set from there for a total of about £450 - Driver, 3W, 3Hybrid, 4-9 iron and a 46*, 50*, 54* wedges, plus a putter. Average about £40 a club

Also American Golf etc you can pick up a basic package set that will last you a fair while for £250-£350 depending on the brand, how many clubs etc that includes the bag too

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

As a first set of clubs, I would recommend something like a set of Callaway X14s. They now maybe 'old' but there are top quality clubs and still are great, very good clubs, forgiving, basically a complete set. Had mine for years and years.

Something like this for £90+post £7.95 :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CALLAWAY...764885?hash=item5931b0e115:g:k3cAAOSwwZtdOVAp

If you live any were near me, I have a old taylormade 360Ti driver, adams tight lies 3 & 5 woods(think I have both) you could collect for free. Do also have a cobra fly Z driver but would want something for that driver.