Airline Companies- Refunds and Service standards

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Realise it is difficult for all airlines at present but the standard of service for refunds is poor.
We are due refunds from Ryanair and they are now delaying the payments citing they are so busy. Obviously helping their cash flow and never receive a reply.

We have another flight going to Spain later this month and Ryan despite probably only having around 4 planes flying still think flights will be available and I am able to download boarding passes!

Sure it is not just Ryanair but Easy Jet and BA.

Have some degree of sympathy and difficult times lie ahead.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also waiting on refunds from Ryanair, and Wizz Air. Last I heard from Ryanair was 9 days ago saying please don't 're-submit' my request as they were working through a backlog. Wizz Air I put in for it around the same sort of time. No timeframe given whatsoever, it's just "wait and see".

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
EasyJet just cancelled our flights for next week .. and offering voucher and alternate days. I could do with 400 quid right now. I dotn think i am going anywhere in a hurry.

PS: Funnily they have cancelled my outgoing flight and not my incoming flight. So not sure who they plan to bring back on my seat...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my limited experience of flying mainly in Europe, some work, some holidays, the national carriers tend to look after you very well when problems occur. The other carriers then go on a sliding scale. Jet2 seem to be pretty decent, easyjet harder work, Ryanair I don't use but have yet to hear a single good thing about them.

I'm very pleased Ryanair don't have much of a foothold at Newcastle airport.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Realise it is difficult for all airlines at present but the standard of service for refunds is poor.
We are due refunds from Ryanair and they are now delaying the payments citing they are so busy. Obviously helping their cash flow and never receive a reply.

We have another flight going to Spain later this month and Ryan despite probably only having around 4 planes flying still think flights will be available and I am able to download boarding passes!

Sure it is not just Ryanair but Easy Jet and BA.

Have some degree of sympathy and difficult times lie ahead.

Maybe they are genuinely busy.

As for your flight later this month to Spain. Unless things change, Spain closed its airports to all commercial flights apart from repatriation flights through till the 30th April.

Our neighbour's daughter works as cabin crew for Jet2. She and all her colleagues are grounded till the end of May, again, unless things change.

Our local Facebook page has posts every day about refunds and credit vouchers. All the carriers are struggling to cope with the volume, or all stretching their refund process as much as possible.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe they are genuinely busy.

As for your flight later this month to Spain. Unless things change, Spain closed its airports to all commercial flights apart from repatriation flights through till the 30th April.

Our neighbour's daughter works as cabin crew for Jet2. She and all her colleagues are grounded till the end of May, again, unless things change.

Our local Facebook page has posts every day about refunds and credit vouchers. All the carriers are struggling to cope with the volume, or all stretching their refund process as much as possible.
Brian

I fully realise how busy they are especially as they have probably laid off many staff. Our son has a business in Madrid and am well versed it what is/was going on. When the State of Emergency was declared on 14/3/20 Ryanair continued to operate flights, not just repatriation, despite our return flights being cancelled and Spain due to be in lockdown that weekend. All hotels were supposed to close along with bars and restaurants.

i did say that I have a degree of sympathy but appreciate your comments

D

Deleted member 3432

Got a full refund from my cancelled ski flights with Jet2 without any hassles.
Excellent, customer service and hoping they come through situation as they have always been reliable for us.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It appears that there are two relevant clauses in the appropriate Regulation
One says that the airline doesn't have to refund if the cancellation was due to circumstances beyond their control. Alternative flights or vouchers must be offered though.
The other says they must offer refunds.
Many airlines (including the usual good boys Jet2) are arguing the former. But I have read that the government are saying the latter applies.
It has also been said that some now in the latter camp have simply removed references to refunds from their websites.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Also waiting on refunds from Ryanair, and Wizz Air. Last I heard from Ryanair was 9 days ago saying please don't 're-submit' my request as they were working through a backlog. Wizz Air I put in for it around the same sort of time. No timeframe given whatsoever, it's just "wait and see".

Wizz cancelled my flights 2-3 weeks ago; I requested a refund at the time and their system says it could take "up to 60 days".

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wizz cancelled my flights 2-3 weeks ago; I requested a refund at the time and their system says it could take "up to 60 days".
Yeah. They quickly refund it in 'Wizz Credits'. Unfortunately they don't take Wizz Credits down at my local Tesco, and getting it in actual pounds is a bit more difficult.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
When I was a boy, I had a huge, stamped metal toy airplane, four propellors, with BOAC painted on the side.
What happened to BOAC?
Did it go the way of our TWA and Pan AM, or was it just renamed?
BOAC ("British Overseas Aircraft Corporation") and BEA ("British European Airways") merged some decades back (in to 70s, perhaps?) to form British Airways.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another vote for Jet2. Flights to Turkey next week were cancelled and following a phone call all monies refunded within the week.