aiming a putt

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i admit putting IS one of strenghts of my game but still i am looking for advise. if i have a middle length breaking putt - 12 to 20 feet - i aim say 2 balls to the right but execute the putt straight at the hole. not surprisingly the ball misses 2 balls to the left :confused:
any tips how to execute the putt where i am aiming at ?
interestingly i do not have the same problem with short putts.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
sounds like you aren't really aiming it at anything '2 balls to the right'.

you need to loose sight of the hole, and focus completely on your new chosen target in your mind - being able to pick an appropriate imperfection on the green helps!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Take your stance and take two practice putts swinging the putter above the ball, you will see where you are stroking the ball towards, if you feel you are going to miss, adjust stance and repeat. Only takes a couple of secs but my putting has come on great this past couple of years.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's be ause on short putts the hole is usually your target, therefore you look at the hole and fire the ball in. On the longer breaking putts the hole is nt your target but it sounds like you are still making it your target, probably subconsciously. You coukd well be thinking your aiming 2 balls to the right then your brain is changing the destination hence you hitting it at the hole and missing two balls.
Find a putt like the one that's giving you grief, generally I imagine every putt as straight so my target is generally on the apex of the putt, find that spot then stick a tee in a few feet behind it and aim at that.hit some putts and the ball should break before it gets to the tee, then do it without the tee.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Use the alignment aid on the ball and keep your head still until the ball's long gone! I couldn't believe how many more left-to-righters I started holing when I stopped peeking!