AG Honesty/Launch angle

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played a quick 9 this morning and despite a good drive at the first my driving was rubbish,so quick visit to AG to try out a bunch of drivers and launch angle with a 10.5 is 25 degrees robbing all my distance. The fellow said he couldn't offer me anything better that would make a huge difference as my longest was with my own driver,refreshingly honest.
What he did say was that I had a steep impact into the ball causing it to pop up,any ideas/drills how to get it a touch flatter?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played a quick 9 this morning and despite a good drive at the first my driving was rubbish,so quick visit to AG to try out a bunch of drivers and launch angle with a 10.5 is 25 degrees robbing all my distance. The fellow said he couldn't offer me anything better that would make a huge difference as my longest was with my own driver,refreshingly honest.
What he did say was that I had a steep impact into the ball causing it to pop up,any ideas/drills how to get it a touch flatter?

That certainly sounds like a chopping type of swing. Get some lessons from a pro. I bet the pro will spot the fault in seconds and offer something which starts to get you back on track pretty quickly. Your ball position may be too far back, and/or you may be moving forward at impact instead of staying back, along with a bit of over the top. He may get you to work on staying behind the ball at impact.

If you can reduce the launch angle to normal, you will add a huge distance to your drives.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Getting your head infront of the ball through impact will create a steep angle of attack with the driver, increasing spin and losing distance. Ball position too far back can do the same.

This Video may help:
[video=youtube;kNTU--85mkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNTU--85mkY[/video]

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On the AG honesty. I went in and tried some new clubs. Told them what I wanted and tried a few out. The ones he recommended for me in the end were the cheapest set, he told me the shaft, weight etc suited my swing. I ended up with a new set of Yonex VXF and after a lesson with my pro recently I am now hitting better than I ever have.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Just to put that into perspective, someone posted a link to the PGA Tour's average Trackman stats last week, and the launch angles went from around 11° with driver up to 24° with a PW.