Advise on conservatory flooring

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi peoples
I'm looking for opinions and thoughts for flooring for another new conservatory I have had built on the side of my house.
It is east facing,so is sheltered from most direct sun, has an insulated concrete slab base and will be used also as a salon for my youngest daughter.
The slab has been down 2 weeks, and the whole thing is now up and dry. I won't be having underfloor heating and will instead go for air heating to be more controllable and instant.
I do favour the plastic type click together flooring but I am open to all ideas and suggestions.
Cheers in advance.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi peoples
I'm looking for opinions and thoughts for flooring for another new conservatory I have had built on the side of my house.
It is east facing,so is sheltered from most direct sun, has an insulated concrete slab base and will be used also as a salon for my youngest daughter.
The slab has been down 2 weeks, and the whole thing is now up and dry. I won't be having underfloor heating and will instead go for air heating to be more controllable and instant.
I do favour the plastic type click together flooring but I am open to all ideas and suggestions.
Cheers in advance.
The world is your oyster for this kind of installation.
Concrete sub floor means that you can go with ceramic tiles if you wish. A cold floor shouldn’t be an issue in a conservatory as they are usually warm. There are so many designs available now that don’t comply with our usual idea of a ceramic tile.
You will need to do a damp test on a new floor and any good flooring installer will do this. Just because the floor looks dry doesn’t mean it is and new Concrete sub floors should always be treated with caution.
A good choice would be luxury vinyl tile (LVT) available in stick down or “click”.
If going for stick down make sure HT (high temperature) adhesive is used or better still two-part epoxy. Conservatories are subject to high fluctuations in temperature ( hot during the day, cold at night) and normal acrylic adhesive isn’t up to the job.
The advantage of stick down is versatility as it allows for use of insert feature strips, borders etc. which you can’t do with click.
Going for a click version means the floor will be “floating” (not stuck down). You will need to leave an expansion gap around the edge covered by beading. Make sure you choose rigid click (sometimes known as WPC or SPC) which is a fairly new advancement but widely available. It has core that provides much greater stability which is the only issue with click.
Any of the above will last for donkeys and are practical and easy to keep clean.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very informative, thankyou.
Do you have any particular recommendations as regards brands, and what to put between them and the concrete?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have any particular recommendations as regards brands, and what to put between them and the concrete?

We had Kardean put down on a concrete floor in our kitchen, they put a latex screed down to ensure a smooth surface. Can give you the name of the company we used if you like.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are going for click have a look at Luvanto Endure or Karndean Korlock. There are underlays you can use but depending on the floor you go with you may not need one. Some have it built in.
if you use click it’s likely you may not need to level the floor with a latex screed if your new Concrete sub floor is quite flat. Click is thicker than stick down and “floats”. If you go for stick down it’s always better to level the floor to as smooth a finish as possible as vinyl is always a little light reflective and any undulations may show through. The better the preparation, the better the final result.
So, make sure they moisture test the floor. This is important.
If going for click get the newer rigid version, leave an expansion gap covered by beading.
If going for stick down, make sure they screed the floor and use appropriate adhesive for a high temperature fluctuation location.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you say used as a salon by your daughter you should consider floor wear on a particular area.

I have no experience of the products mentioned above.

One 'off' piste product to look at might be carpet tiles. They need to laid on a latex bed to ensure a totally flat surface but cab be moved around to avoid wear in one particular area. They are generally made as per flotex so individual tiles can be lifted and washed. They are very hard wearing.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you say used as a salon by your daughter you should consider floor wear on a particular area.

I have no experience of the products mentioned above.

One 'off' piste product to look at might be carpet tiles. They need to laid on a latex bed to ensure a totally flat surface but cab be moved around to avoid wear in one particular area. They are generally made as per flotex so individual tiles can be lifted and washed. They are very hard wearing.
Yes, I have considered some localised wear and it is a small concern but nothing that shouldnt be able to be avoided by use of a small mat or runner.
I havent really considered carpet tiles due to the fun getting hair and make-up out of them with ease and without constant hand washing.
Thanks for you thoughts though:)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi peoples
I won't be having underfloor heating and will instead go for air heating to be more controllable and instant.

I'd think again. Concrete floors can get very cold and don't easily get warmer from heat in the air. It's the only regret I have. Go for both. My son, using my experience did, and during the winter has nice warm feet. He keeps the floor 'just warmish' - keeps the cost down.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd think again. Concrete floors can get very cold and don't easily get warmer from heat in the air. It's the only regret I have. Go for both. My son, using my experience did, and during the winter has nice warm feet. He keeps the floor 'just warmish' - keeps the cost down.

I can concur on this - though not through experience of our conservatory. We had a small toilet shower room built onto the side of the house. Concrete base with ceramic tiles - absolutely freezing cold on the feet. Mind you we just stick a towl down. Our conservatory is fine with concrete and laminate. Never noticed a cold floor being an issue - a cold conservatory overall in colder months perhaps, but it heats up quick.