advice required but i have a short term fix

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
been told i cut across the ball and have been messing about trying to fix it myself. unable to work out whats happening. ive recently changed my grip to a more neutral/ slight strong grip. also been told my irons should be set more upright (working on that) and also ive changed shafts from tt dg xp reg to kbs tour stiff. now im struggling before i was quite happy to use my cut/fade but im striving for better.
my short term fix is to hood (picture included) the club from 5 - pw, its ugly but very very very striaght, in fact i would say its the best im hitting my irons.
it doesnt look right at address but it works, your thoughts please.
today i was in contention for 7 birdies and holed 4 :cool: and nearly a hole in one. it works but its not pretty

Attachments

• 28022013359.jpg
    28022013359.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 39

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
been told i cut across the ball and have been messing about trying to fix it myself. unable to work out whats happening. ive recently changed my grip to a more neutral/ slight strong grip. also been told my irons should be set more upright (working on that) and also ive changed shafts from tt dg xp reg to kbs tour stiff. now im struggling before i was quite happy to use my cut/fade but im striving for better.
my short term fix is to hood (picture included) the club from 5 - pw, its ugly but very very very striaght, in fact i would say its the best im hitting my irons.
it doesnt look right at address but it works, your thoughts please.
today i was in contention for 7 birdies and holed 4 :cool: and nearly a hole in one. it works but its not pretty

My old man does that with every club, exceot his putter :mad:

If you've moved from a regular to a stiff and havn't quite got the swing speed for the shaft you may be leaving the face a tad open through impact.

Another thing to consider would be ball position. Is yor ball positioned a little too far forward?

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
ball is in the middleish my swing speed is about 84- 87 i think. its slightly exaggerated now with the stiff shafts, but seriously hooding the club im arrow straight.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
ball is in the middleish my swing speed is about 84- 87 i think. its slightly exaggerated now with the stiff shafts, but seriously hooding the club im arrow straight.

Do you roll your wrists open on the back swing? The only thing I can guess is although you're hooding the face at address, you're opening it up through the backswing and not closing it down again through impact..... But that would be a complete guess.

I'm really struggling to figure out how you can hit it straight hooding it that much :mad:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm really struggling to figure out how you can hit it straight hooding it that much :mad:

Only way I can see is by aiming right so the club is pointing at the target and swinging out to in, which the OP said was the problem.

Bigslice, do you aim yourself to the right that you know of?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Only way I can see is by aiming right so the club is pointing at the target and swinging out to in, which the OP said was the problem.

So perhaps a case of fix the swing path/plane and the rest will fall into place?

Edit: As a side thought. Hooding the face is a is a fix for your cut, why not try and fix what causes cut/slice (Path/plane) instead of fixing the problem (hooding) instead of the cause.

Last edited:

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
So perhaps a case of fix the swing path/plane and the rest will fall into place?

Edit: As a side thought. Hooding the face is a is a fix for your cut, why not try and fix what causes cut/slice (Path/plane) instead of fixing the problem (hooding) instead of the cause.

lol i was practising for a wee forum mini meet this saturday at dundonald, hooding will do fine till then,

normally (no hooding) i aim pretty square, im kind of sure ive got the club head at impact open which gives it the cut/slice power fade

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site

im sure im set up square in my tramlines,
also with hooding it i set up square and it works (will do till next week)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
lol i was practising for a wee forum mini meet this saturday at dundonald, hooding will do fine till then,

normally (no hooding) i aim pretty square, im kind of sure ive got the club head at impact open which gives it the cut/slice power fade

Does your ball start straight then peel right, or start right and go further right?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's definitely one for Bob or your own Pro imo.

Meantime, as the hooding is working, keep doing that. It won't be like that at impact - never is the same!

Sort that putting out too! 50% conversion rate can be improved upon! :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im sure im set up square in my tramlines,
also with hooding it i set up square and it works (will do till next week)

If the ball goes dead straight when you hood the club and you're lined up to your target squarely, then you can't be cutting across the ball.
To get the ball to go straight the path and face are the same. If the ball is flying straight at the target then that's where the face must be pointing, hence the path must also be straight ie not cutting across the ball.

If the face is square at impact when it was hooded at address then you are opening it.
If you opened it when the club was square at address then the ball would start slightly right and fade/slice further right.

I think it could be your grip.

QED :D

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the ball goes dead straight when you hood the club and you're lined up to your target squarely, then you can't be cutting across the ball.
To get the ball to go straight the path and face are the same. If the ball is flying straight at the target then that's where the face must be pointing, hence the path must also be straight ie not cutting across the ball.

If the face is square at impact when it was hooded at address then you are opening it.
If you opened it when the club was square at address then the ball would start slightly right and fade/slice further right.

I think it could be your grip.

QED :D

lol im not very technical golf wise, i just swing and see what happens, but in a nutshell what youve said wrings true in my head.

i had changed my grip and on my drives i think ive seen a wee draw, now to just get it on the irons correctly. i think there cud be a golfer in me yet:eek:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Most golfers who swing out to in can feel it so to stop the ball going left, they open the face at impact.
Having the face hooded at address will mean it will be more square at impact.
I guess with a slight out to in swing and the face open a touch, the ball may appear to go straight.
If it works............

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most golfers who swing out to in can feel it so to stop the ball going left, they open the face at impact.
Having the face hooded at address will mean it will be more square at impact.
I guess with a slight out to in swing and the face open a touch, the ball may appear to go straight.
If it works............

it will do for the weekend but i will have to fix soon start of seaon and all that.
funnily enough when i use my driver im very concience of doing something in my swing and its fixed my ahem power fade and sometimes i get a slight draw. i will give it a go on the irons and also recheck my grip

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In my opinion it's ok to close the face if it returns square, it's no different than strengthening your grip. If you strengthen your grip swing to the top then come back to impact with the back of your left hand facing forward the club face will be closed.

Also, if you get your hands ahead of the ball at impact it can have the effect of opening the club face, hooding it can square it up.