Advice On Best Places to Go To Football Matches Abroad

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys

Looking to take my son abroad for a match just for the experience and looking for some advice on best & easiest grounds to get to. Obviously want it to be one of the big names where a big crowd and good atmosphere is almost guaranteed.

It's not going to be til next season so have plenty time to plan once we know the fixtures for whichever club we choose, he will be 18 by then so can take a beer or two.

Any advice on which team to go to? Which grounds have you guys visited as a neutral and really enjoyed the experience?

I have been to the Nou Camp so don't want to go there again.

Also any travel, accommodation and match ticket advice would be much appreciated.

As an aside from that, is there anyone who can assist with getting match tickets for Old Trafford?

D

Deleted member 16999

Germany - Dortmund, Bayern, Gladbach, Schalke etc have great atmospheres, passionate fans and reasonable prices, nightlife is excellent.

BristolMike for the Old Trafford tickets.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
best neutral experience I've had was Real v Barca last august. Madrid is a decent place for a visit too.

Tickets for Old Trafford aren't as hard to come by as it seems if you know the system.
Starts off by becoming a Oneunited member, or the other option is hospitality packages.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Best atmosphere I've ever seen was Dynamo Bucharest in the Europa League in August past. Also been to a Vienna derby with Rapid being the away support was amazing watching them. Been to quite a few games on the continent, Anderletct, AZ Alkmar, Real Sociadad, but nothing compared to Bucharest. Germany is much cheapness but sure the likes of Dortmond are sell out most weeks.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best atmosphere I've ever seen was Dynamo Bucharest in the Europa League in August past. Also been to a Vienna derby with Rapid being the away support was amazing watching them. Been to quite a few games on the continent, Anderletct, AZ Alkmar, Real Sociadad, but nothing compared to Bucharest. Germany is much cheapness but sure the likes of Dortmond are sell out most weeks.

can imagine the atmosphere was amazing seen plenty of vids online for these type of grounds, the actually best atmosphere was at the old Ali Sem Yenni for Galatassaray welcome to hell!

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Germany - Dortmund, Bayern, Gladbach, Schalke etc have great atmospheres, passionate fans and reasonable prices, nightlife is excellent.

BristolMike for the Old Trafford tickets.

Germany was my first thought and in particular Dortmund as it always looks like a great atmosphere on the tele and especially in the "yellow wall" and very handy to get to from Belfast.

best neutral experience I've had was Real v Barca last august. Madrid is a decent place for a visit too.

Tickets for Old Trafford aren't as hard to come by as it seems if you know the system.
Starts off by becoming a Oneunited member, or the other option is hospitality packages.

Gonna leave the joining OneUnited til next season so get the full season out of it but was looking to maybe get over before end of this season for a game if I could get tickets.

Thanks for the advice guys 👍🏻

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I would be looking at Germany, Dortmund being the number 1 target. Difficult but worth it. If you fancy Munich I remember someone telling me a clever way to get tickets was to stay in certain hotels that have links to the club. I don't know if that is still the case but may be worth checking out. Probably wont hurt if you have a policy with Allianz either.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Germany was my first thought and in particular Dortmund as it always looks like a great atmosphere on the tele and especially in the "yellow wall" and very handy to get to from Belfast.

Gonna leave the joining OneUnited til next season so get the full season out of it but was looking to maybe get over before end of this season for a game if I could get tickets.

Thanks for the advice guys 👍🏻

I run a supporters club branch and the problem being now is the electronic tickets on membership cards and high profile fixtures left this season, have you tried any of the supporters club branches as some have season tickets they share about.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Germany would be my choice. Frankfurt doing well and the stadium is situated about 5km from the city and close to a forest with great transport links and usually easy to get tickets for most games. Decent enough place to explore for a weekend too. Munich may be like getting tickets for the big clubs here and a little hard to do but could be worth a stab.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
San Siro for the wow factor, should not be a problem getting a ticket unless it's a big game. The games can be hit and miss. if you plan it right hop on a train and you may be able to pull a game in at Como. One of the most beautiful back drops to stadium I have seen.
Mialn budget airlines go there ten a penny. Gorgeous City to look around.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I run a supporters club branch and the problem being now is the electronic tickets on membership cards and high profile fixtures left this season, have you tried any of the supporters club branches as some have season tickets they share about.

Waiting to hear back from a guy I know who is a member of a local supporters club as to whether there are any season tickets available for any matches this season but as you say there are a few high profile games to play in the few home matches left so he wasn't hopeful.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys

Looking to take my son abroad for a match just for the experience and looking for some advice on best & easiest grounds to get to. Obviously want it to be one of the big names where a big crowd and good atmosphere is almost guaranteed.

It's not going to be til next season so have plenty time to plan once we know the fixtures for whichever club we choose, he will be 18 by then so can take a beer or two.

Any advice on which team to go to? Which grounds have you guys visited as a neutral and really enjoyed the experience?

I have been to the Nou Camp so don't want to go there again.

Also any travel, accommodation and match ticket advice would be much appreciated.

As an aside from that, is there anyone who can assist with getting match tickets for Old Trafford?

I can get hospitality tickets for united pretty cheap, but able to get hold of normal tickets for any match too. If you’re looking at any point just drop me a dm

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Will let you know when Reading get into Europe.

Saw a programme on football violence in the Dutch league. Think I might avoid Ajax versus Feyenoord !!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you're prepared to pay a bit extra, getting tickets isn't normally a problem at any of the big European games.

I've done both Madrids and Dortmund recently. All good. Haven't been to the new Atleti stadium though, so not sure what the atmosphere would be like.

I'm off to Napoli with my son midweek for the Europa league game with Leipzig. Will report back...

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you're prepared to pay a bit extra, getting tickets isn't normally a problem at any of the big European games.

I've done both Madrids and Dortmund recently. All good. Haven't been to the new Atleti stadium though, so not sure what the atmosphere would be like.

I'm off to Napoli with my son midweek for the Europa league game with Leipzig. Will report back...

Madrid and Dortmund were my two top initial thoughts and don't mind paying a bit extra to get to the match we want, how did you go about getting tickets?

Napoli should be amazing as well and await to hear your thoughts on it after the match. Enjoy and hopefully you'll see a good game

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Madrid and Dortmund were my two top initial thoughts and don't mind paying a bit extra to get to the match we want, how did you go about getting tickets?

Napoli should be amazing as well and await to hear your thoughts on it after the match. Enjoy and hopefully you'll see a good game

I have a mate who lives in Madrid.....:D

As for Dortmund, you can just get them on the website https://www.bvb.de/eng/Tickets/Ticket-Shop

For Napoli, it's harder. They have outsourced their ticket sales to an agency, and they don't appear until quite soon before, if at all. I think most people locally buy them at booths in the town in the days leading up. Because I needed to get flights and a room sorted out, I ended up going through a tourist agency with a decent reputation (and a decent markup!!). I'll let you know how it works out...

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Ive been to Atleti as well as Real and Atleti was deffo the better atmosphere, although at the old ground for Atleti. I was in the home end for Real, although the other end from the Ultras. It was good, although as we won, not great.

I think you would be ok getting a ticket for real of you pick a mid table game, and not much of a hooligan problem (depending on how old your lad is) for what Ive found in Spain.

Galatasaray was one of the best atmospheres Ive been to, at the al semi, and at that time only held 22,000 iirc, Genoa another one.

Germany is very good also.

Maybe see if there are any Irish/NI supporters clubs of any of the clubs your thinking about, as may be able to get some tickets through them. I think Dortmund have a UK one.

Ive only got to do Bayern Munich out of the big ones now.

D

Deleted member 15344

From the ones I have done

Dortmund- just electric , amazing atmosphere , even better when playing Bayern

Madrid is very good but we were stuck up in the clouds

Ajax was good

Milan derby was good but that’s a long time ago now