Advice needed on balls

Simon_Barker

Visit site
Hello All,

As the greens on my home course (Whitekirk) are firming up, it's getting harder to stop the ball, no matter how much spin you use. Currently using the TP Lethal, and don't get on with Titleist balls.

Any advice?

Cheers,

SB

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
unfortunately mate you are in the same boat as a lot of us with greens that do not accept a ball in summer. You will have to learn to drop it short and let it run on. An art in itself. If you cannot stop a Lethal you will find it difficult to stop anything.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
tried a lethal out last week and felt i had as much spin and stop as a Pro V so if your not getting much response now it would seem a lot summer on its way.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello All,As the greens on my home course (Whitekirk) are firming up, it's getting harder to stop the ball, no matter how much spin you use. Currently using the TP Lethal, and don't get on with Titleist balls.Any advice?Cheers,SB
A lot of people struggle to get a ball to stop, but at times that is due to how well they are striking the ball. If you do not load it up with backspin and get the ball coming down soft, then it is not going to stop quickly. I see people moaning about this sort of thing at my place, but when you are hitting the ball with a flat trajectory it is neer going to stop. I use the Lethal ball and find it stops as good as anything on the market.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
A lot of people struggle to get a ball to stop, but at times that is due to how well they are striking the ball. If you do not load it up with backspin and get the ball coming down soft, then it is not going to stop quickly. I see people moaning about this sort of thing at my place, but when you are hitting the ball with a flat trajectory it is neer going to stop. I use the Lethal ball and find it stops as good as anything on the market.

On the back of a good strike you should also consider your swing speed.

Some people, myself included, don't have the combination of correct strike and a fast enough swing to impart enough spin to get the ball to hold a firm green.

My swing speed isn't the quickest, but I get a good enough strike to get the ball to take one bounce and check up on a full strike when greens are a little softer than they are. An example being last weeked after a little rain I managed to get a full PW to take one bounce and check up, but only left a tiny mark on the green.

I could never dream of getting a ball to check on the spot and spin back on a firm green as, frankly, I don't carry enough swing speed to do it.

I've said on previous threads on the same topic. If you're struggling to get the ball to hold the green, adjust your game and allow for a little roll.

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hello All,

As the greens on my home course (Whitekirk) are firming up, it's getting harder to stop the ball, no matter how much spin you use. Currently using the TP Lethal, and don't get on with Titleist balls.

Any advice?

Cheers,

SB

Guess you better strike the ball a bit better then mate ;)

Jay Gee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I couldn't get a ball to stop with a wedge and looked up some tutorial videos on backspin. After increasing my angle of attack, I can just about get a ball to stop with a wedge and found it added 10 yards to my SW. This is on softish greens, I must admit.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the back of a good strike you should also consider your swing speed.Some people, myself included, don't have the combination of correct strike and a fast enough swing to impart enough spin to get the ball to hold a firm green.My swing speed isn't the quickest, but I get a good enough strike to get the ball to take one bounce and check up on a full strike when greens are a little softer than they are. An example being last weeked after a little rain I managed to get a full PW to take one bounce and check up, but only left a tiny mark on the green.I could never dream of getting a ball to check on the spot and spin back on a firm green as, frankly, I don't carry enough swing speed to do it.I've said on previous threads on the same topic. If you're struggling to get the ball to hold the green, adjust your game and allow for a little roll.
This is the problem with club golfers regarding generating enough clubhead speed to get lots of backspin. I think too many people see the tour pros doing it and expect to be able to do it. Difference is that they are probably swinging at around 20 MPH+ faster than a lot of us and striking the ball perfectly onto greens that are set up to recieve a ball.