Adjust putter shaft length

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many of you have taken some length of your putter shaft?

I'm overhauling my putting game because frankly its pants. One thing I have noticed is that I get better results choking down on my putter so much so that my hands are off the grip and partly on the metal.

When soled the putter is 35 inches from ground to the butt end of the shaft. I'm about 5ft 10.

Is there a guide anywhere that helps choose the correct putter shaft length? Or if anyone has been fitted recently did they discuss shortening the putter shaft?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or if anyone has been fitted recently did they discuss shortening the putter shaft?

I got a fitting 2 years ago. Went from 35 down to 34. I'm 6 ft.

I'm not sure a guide will do it, but in general my pro seems to be chopping down putters after almost every fitting...it seems...

Why not invest in a proper fitting, money well spent.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had afitting a couple of years' ago. Greta value. My pro is 6 ft 1 and has a 33" shaft. The theory was that the smaller the shaft the further your head is over the ball which makes sense. I am 5ft 10" and 32" was correct for me

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I got a fitting 2 years ago. Went from 35 down to 34. I'm 6 ft.

I'm not sure a guide will do it, but in general my pro seems to be chopping down putters after almost every fitting...it seems...

Why not invest in a proper fitting, money well spent.

Very similar in my case to Dave.

I had always used a 35" putter, went for a fitting, walk away with a 33" :mad:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm 5'9" with short legs and long body/arms. I use a 33" putter and slightly shorter is not a problem.

Most folk use a putter that is too long.

Rumour has it the 35" became the standard purely because that was the length required for putters to be visible on display in the bags, as opposed to racks, that they were displayed in!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm 5'9" with short legs and long body/arms. I use a 33" putter and slightly shorter is not a problem.

Most folk use a putter that is too long.

Rumour has it the 35" became the standard purely because that was the length required for putters to be visible on display in the bags, as opposed to racks, that they were displayed in!

I can believe that. My Scotty doesn't even come close to the bottom of my bag!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Guys thanks very much for the feedback its very enlightening. It makes sense and I should remember that these clubs are made for 6 footers especially American equipment.

I will take off a couple of inches and go from there.:)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a very individual thing imo as different people have different stances.

I was fitted last year. I'm 5'8" and went from 32" (on the same principle others on this thread have) to 34".