A sudden and unexpected increase in length ??

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
So far this year I've been bumbling along, mostly indifferent with a few goodish rounds to get a bit of a cut. Nothing spectacular but at least I knew how far I hit my clubs if not actually in which direction it would be. Then a couple of weeks ago we went on our annual trip to play on the links north of the border. All ok for a couple of rounds, then developed a vicious duck hook with anything like a long club.

Correctly or not I determined that I was bending (allowing to collapse??) my left arm too much during the backswing, so made a conscious effort to keep it straight - which seemed to work. I then noticed that I seemed to be hitting the ball a lot further than previously. I put it down to short grass and rock hard turf giving a lot of roll out. But then the carry was longer too.

Got home and have seen that the increased length is still there. And our course hardly has the characteristics of a scottish links. Shots that used to be a comfortable 8 iron I'm now over hitting with a pitching wedge. What was a 5 iron into the wind I'm now hitting with a 7. A nice 35 points in Saturdays comp could have been so much better if I hadn't hit over the back on about 5 or 6 holes. Same happened yesterday.

Over the space of about 6 rounds in a week I'm hitting all my short irons something like 25 to 30 yards longer than I used to. And I'm referring to carry not full length. Not quite as noticeable with the longer clubs but still better

What's going on? Can it all be down to keeping that arm just a little bit straighter? Or have I stumbled on something else which I'm just as likely to lose without knowing what it was. Not complaining at all - just mystified. It's a huge change in such a short time and I don't know why?

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
From what I understand by keeping the left arm straight your creating a larger arc that results in giving the club more time to gain speed. I had that eureka moment a couple of years ago and experienced exactly what you described. I used to be 4-5 iron for 150yds now it's between 8 and pw depending on wind and ground conditions.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I understand by keeping the left arm straight your creating a larger arc that results in giving the club more time to gain speed. I had that eureka moment a couple of years ago and experienced exactly what you described. I used to be 4-5 iron for 150yds now it's between 8 and pw depending on wind and ground conditions.

Sounds plausible ??

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
More of a "roundhouse kick" than a "Kung fu chop" I was having the same problem up until I sussed it on Friday and then my playing partner struggled to keep up with me off the "T" I was using my "3 wood" and he was using an "SLDR" just goes to show !...:thup: