A shot by our playing partners during foursomes. Your opinion please

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
At our fifth hole yesterday our opponents hit theur 2nd In an area of 2.5 feet long heavy thick damp grass completely surrounding the ball. So much so that you couldn't even see the ball standing over it.
We expected them to take an unplayable. Especially since we had already taken one and I had a duff.
So they would have been playing 4 to our 5th from similar area.

Resulting shot was a 30 yd pitch that hit the pin stopping 6 inches left and I said that's good in the match thinking of the result rather than how it was made.

It wasn't until later on the 10th hole which has a plantation that allows for a free drop and the guy who played the shot on 5 was persuading his partner that his ball was 40-50 yds further down than it could ever have been on his best day. My playing partner told me to watch them. We saw another preparation for funny business on the 11th again from the same guy.

My partner reckons the guy trampled his lie on the 5th as there was no way that anyone could ever have made a backswing let alone had the ability to make contact with the ball never mind execute such a perfect pitch shot.

We went from 5 down after 12 to winning the last 6 holes and finishing 1 up.

But was just wanting to see what you would say about the 5th hole.

The 10th could be claimed as a mistaken advantage due to taking normal distance with run rather than carry only.

But does anyone here think that there is anyway possible somebody could get a ball from the haylike rough I described by a lucky fluke? Or is it more than likely a result of cheating?

I hadn't really given it a second thought as the young guy is supposed to be a Christian and I would not have expected such things but really thinking about it once brought to my attention I couldn't see any Pro on Tour even being able to move the ball let alone get it in the air.

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But does anyone here think that there is anyway possible somebody could get a ball from the haylike rough I described by a lucky fluke? Or is it more than likely a result of cheating?

I don't think you can use works like 'likely' and 'cheating' in the same sentence. You have to be able to prove cheating, otherwise it's your word against theirs. Must have been some shot though! :whistle:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I found a bizarre web site today, listing (in their view) the 25 most evil men in history. Now I didn't agree with some of them, but 9 of them were popes, some of whom were probably Christian.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have managed such miracle shots (my view rather than anyone else's!) and I have dismally failed to even move many more. They can happen.

Shot's hit the pin from many distances and with many clubs too.

Would I be in the vicinity when someone was playing from such conditions - probably :)

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
To Del. I know but I'm just kind of looking for opinions from fellow golfers really.

Just one I guess I would just expect complete honesty from the person.
I suppose I'm disappointed to think the particular person cheated especially when they would have extremely likely won the hole even taking an unplayable drop.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just cos someone hit an unusually good shot, you can't just assume they cheated.
That's a serious charge with very little evidence.
Surely if they had trampled the grass, you would have seen them doing so.
As for the second and third episodes of "funny business", I can't actually understand what you were objecting to

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I preferred the previous description of miracle shot. My partner found their ball and it was so caught up in the grass it was down in the yellow part of what can literally only be described as hay that had seed on the top of it. And I was actually not watching him as I was getting a drink from my bag.

Regards the 2nd episode. Our 10th has a fenced off plantation from which you get a free drop should your ball enter and it is agreed by your playing partners.
So when a guy who was driving the ball 200yds of carry at best all day hits into this. Why would his partner be taking the free drop 250 yds down?

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
The way the ball was identified in the grass I can only describe as going downwards pulling the grass apart with both hands, and when my partner took his hands away the grass returned to its original shape covering the ball completely. You could not see any part of the ball at all, the hay was behind, on top, in front and on both sides of the ball which was about 3 feet into the hay area. So you have total hay to get through before you could possibly make contact to a ball that you couldn't see due to being engulfed in said hay.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
TBH I dont really see what you are complaining about at all except someone hit a good shot. :confused:

I had just assumed it was a good shot until my partner brought to my attention the extra 50 yards on 10 and said "sure he trampled his lie on the 5th!" followed by " sure you saw it, there's absolutely no way anyone could have managed to make contact with the ball swinging through that stuff never mind got the ball through and out of it. Sure ya couldn't even see the ball standing over it"
Which led me to think right enough because of how buried it had been.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Phil unless you have proof you need to give the guy the benefit of the doubt no matter how 'unlikely' or 'miracle like' his shot was. It can happen.

ok, if you play with them again keep an eye on them. But you didn't see him chest you just suspect he did.

Imagine how you'd feel if you were called a cheat and hadn't done anything wrong ! Not a nice feeling I can imagine.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe his god helped out a bit with the miracle shot? But then again, maybe he gave the lord a help with some fancy footwork?

Don't think you can just assume he cheated because he hit a good shot.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was actually not watching him as I was getting a drink from my bag.

If I was playing a match and knew the opponent was in deep rough, I would be watching closely, not getting a drink out of my bag. The possibility of the situation producing an advantage to you, should have made you realise that the attempt at recovery was well worth keeping an eye on.