A first for the Met

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lets hope that the new Commissioner has the b@lls for the job though.

Btw, is she really more vertically challenged than the mayor?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Where the heck do you get a name like Cressida from? Anyone else know a Cressida?

Me me dad once had a Vauxhall Cresta. however just to educate you heathens on here.

Cressida is a pretty mythological and Shakespearean heroine name much better known in Britain than it is here — an imbalance the adventurous baby namer might want to correct. For although the Trojan heroine of that name in the tale told by Boccaccio, then Chaucer, then Shakespeare, didn't have the greatest reputation — she was faithless to Troilus and broke his heart — the name today sounds fresh.

in essence, as I read it. It is a name you would give to a " slapper".

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Making Miss/Mrs Dick to commissioner is not a problem for me, but what I am struggling to fathom is why give somebody the job who has retired. She left the job 3 years ago. What does that say about the current serving top brass. Not a lot

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Making Miss/Mrs Dick to commissioner is not a problem for me, but what I am struggling to fathom is why give somebody the job who has retired. She left the job 3 years ago. What does that say about the current serving top brass. Not a lot

might have become a bit of a "poisoned chalice" plus i think sometimes its a bit of a "political appointment".

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

She was obviously the best 'person' for the job.

I am amazed that in the year 2017 some folk have a problem with that

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would have loved to have been able to retire aged 51. There is something massively wrong with punlic sector pensions if you can do this.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I would have loved to have been able to retire aged 51. There is something massively wrong with punlic sector pensions if you can do this.

murph, you're in the brown & smelly and you need the old bill; want a 64 year old with a dodgy hip turning up? And it is extremely unusual for an officer of that rank to retire that early.

What is wrong with some public service pensions is what was done with the contributions rather than the nature of the pension itself, although I'm prepared to accept that my view may be a little biased.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Well it was 52 for me and I can assure you am not going back to work.

PS, I didn't work in the public sector.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Easy to have a pop at public sector pensions without looking at the salaries.
When I worked in public services I had a few offers to double my salary in the private sector.
I turned them down for various reasons, the security of the pension was one.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, there is no defence of public sector, final salary, early retirement options. None. The old argument about higher wages in the private sector ended in the 90's. Joe Public is paying for those pensions, not the workers. Retiring from the police at 51-52, I know someone in the police who is about to do this, is obscene when people elsewhere have to go into their late 60's.

In terms of geriatric police officers. You move them around. Clearly you can't be at the cutting edge in your 60's due to the physical nature of that part of the job but there are plenty of parts of poilicing you can go into. You just have to accept that you will be moved jobs once the physical side becomes too much. Flexibility, it's a word everyone else has had to accept.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
murph, you're in the brown & smelly and you need the old bill; want a 64 year old with a dodgy hip turning up? And it is extremely unusual for an officer of that rank to retire that early.

What is wrong with some public service pensions is what was done with the contributions rather than the nature of the pension itself, although I'm prepared to accept that my view may be a little biased.

Is that why the current Met Commissioner is retiring or is there any other reason?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Sorry, there is no defence of public sector, final salary, early retirement options. None. The old argument about higher wages in the private sector ended in the 90's. Joe Public is paying for those pensions, not the workers. Retiring from the police at 51-52, I know someone in the police who is about to do this, is obscene when people elsewhere have to go into their late 60's.

In terms of geriatric police officers. You move them around. Clearly you can't be at the cutting edge in your 60's due to the physical nature of that part of the job but there are plenty of parts of poilicing you can go into. You just have to accept that you will be moved jobs once the physical side becomes too much. Flexibility, it's a word everyone else has had to accept.

Funny how Government had no problem with police pensions when there was a surplus & it was apparently being used to cover other costs rather than being invested.

And where are all these posts that you can move police officers to? I think you'll find most of them have been civilianised at a cheaper rate in order to save costs.