A few queries

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1) Is warning an opponent in foresomes that he is about to play out of turn (in that he is about to play a shot his partner is supposed to play) considered to be advice?

2) Does the etiquette of not standing on the line of your FCs or opponents putt still stand when they are not on the green?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
1) Is warning an opponent in foresomes that he is about to play out of turn (in that he is about to play a shot his partner is supposed to play) considered to be advice?

2) Does the etiquette of not standing on the line of your FCs or opponents putt still stand when they are not on the green?

No

Yes

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Thanks, the first one came up today. Our opponents were in the bunker and the guy who's turn it was to play left it in and walked up to play it again. Instinctively I called to him to stop which he did and his partner took over. After the hole, which we lost in comedic fashion, my opponent said jokingly to the guy wh nearly played out of turn that he was lucky we stopped him otherwise we would have won the hole. His reply was that he could call penalty on us for giving advice. I was pretty sure that it didn't count as advice.

The second one was just something I was thinking about.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You were simply stopping your opponent from breaking a rule i.e. you were giving him information on the rules which cannot be advice.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You were simply stopping your opponent from breaking a rule i.e. you were giving him information on the rules which cannot be advice.

Which was exactly what I thought and told him. It was all said in good humour but I've just been trying to find something to back myself up and couldn't. thanks for confirming.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here's one on the advice theme.

My FC today was in a whin bush and he went very quickly to take a drop two club lengths away. Which was bonkers because he was still left unable to do anything other than chip out to the fairway, whereas if he went straight back he could have gone far enough to be able to play forward, over the whins.

Anyway, he took his drop so quickly I didn't have time to decide whether I was able to tell him about the other option. Would it have been advice if I had? Or would it have been ok if I'd said something like "your options are...." as opposed to "I think you should...." ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here's one on the advice theme.

Anyway, he took his drop so quickly I didn't have time to decide whether I was able to tell him about the other option. Would it have been advice if I had? Or would it have been ok if I'd said something like "your options are...." as opposed to "I think you should...." ?

You may tell him what his options are but you should be careful about the manners in which you do it. The timing and form of words could be construed as advice even though ostensibly is was simply relating the words of the rule. In such a situation, it may be better to simply ask "Do you know what your options are?"

Others may not agree.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks, the first one came up today. Our opponents were in the bunker and the guy who's turn it was to play left it in and walked up to play it again. Instinctively I called to him to stop which he did and his partner took over. After the hole, which we lost in comedic fashion, my opponent said jokingly to the guy wh nearly played out of turn that he was lucky we stopped him otherwise we would have won the hole. His reply was that he could call penalty on us for giving advice. I was pretty sure that it didn't count as advice.

The second one was just something I was thinking about.

Yesterday I had to advise a young lad more than once about standing looking down the line of my putt. I also had to ask him (and likewise on Friday a retired chap I was playing with) to move from their position standing only a few yards back at the back of the tee when I was teeing off as I don't like folk standing there. It was a fun couple of days as had partners using dmds to measure 50yds. having to ask a guy to move his poker chip marker, and another to mark his ball when he wasn't going to. :)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yesterday I had to advise a young lad more than once about standing looking down the line of my putt. I also had to ask him (and likewise on Friday a retired chap I was playing with) to move from their position standing only a few yards back at the back of the tee when I was teeing off as I don't like folk standing there. It was a fun couple of days as had partners using dmds to measure 50yds. having to ask a guy to move his poker chip marker, and another to mark his ball when he wasn't going to. :)

Blimey, sounds like your entire forum posting history played itself out in just one weekend :D

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Just curious , Advise him on what exactly ?