A disappointing end to a disappointing season (feel sorry for meself thread)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Started the year 12.0. Finishing the year 12.8. No cuts.

Now I'm not too down about that, I've been working/travelling a lot this year and play was always interrupted, don't think I had two consecutive weekends of play and in the height of our glorious summer I was in the UK for just 2 out of 9 weekends. I usually scored around 32 - 34 points though there were some horror stories too. Then I shot 2 over gross around a local track, played to h/c around the Hotchkin at Woodhall Spa, won the only point for our team in the Mail On Sunday classic - as always there are good things to recall.

Buffered three times, once on the Sunday of the Club Champs (level) and once this Saturday. 36 points in the lashing rain, it never stopped. Of the 7 (low) guys I went out with only two broke 30, unfortunately as the morning was nice there were plenty good scores to keep CSS up. That's not the disappointing thing, this is.

1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 13, 14, 16, 17.

These are the holes I missed a putt from 4/5 feet or less.

12 of em.

Had one double, 11 bogeys, 6 pars, and 12 short putts missed.

Confidence was at an all time low on the greens and though I didn't have many 3 putts I had only 2 one putts and I was certainly close enough from my approaches/pitches/chips to finish the season with a healthy cut and at least reverse the climb this year. I could battle to keep the grip dry and maneuvered tee to green but when it came to the crunch I pulled, pushed, looked up, tickled and smashed my way to an unforgivable buffer.

My only consolation is that I played well enough tee to green to give myself a chance of a low score, but man, do I need to get my putting sorted next year if I'm going to right the wrongs. There are two qualifiers left this year but guess what, I'm away :)

Next year I promise to spend more time on putting, problem is I can putt great on the carpet but put me 5 foot from a hole for par and the carpet bears no relation to what I'm doing at home...

Wonder if I can change the wife's mind and get a green built

:whistle:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
At least you don't have 1,000,000 different things to sort. Just go practise putting!!!!

Maybe time for a new putter to start afresh?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At least you don't have 1,000,000 different things to sort. Just go practise putting!!!!

Maybe time for a new putter to start afresh?

Although I am more or less convinced it is not the putters fault, come Christmas there will be a nagging voice saying "buy the shiney putter thing, we like the precious, it will make everything good".

Lessons are probably the answer, or practice, probably a bit of the former and a lot of the later. I guess with so little time to play/practice this year I didn't want to go down the road... I see you've had your h/c and are happily chipping it down, good stuff I'm assuming your enjoying the first season then?!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A putting lesson is a good thing, especially if it's got inside your head. Two possibilities - you have a technical problem which the pro'll spot, or you don't and you'll be reassured that technically you're OK which should boost the confidence.

I had a lesson a while back, and it's surprising how many odd things can be going on in such a short swing that I would never have worked out for myself.

The last thing to remember is that greens are getting a bit soft and less consistent at this time of year and even two putts which are hit the same will track differently once over 3 feet in length. So don't let it get you down.

Plus, Peltz claims that 3 feet and in are high percentage putts, but even those from 4 to 5 feet have a much lower chance of success. Watching pros playing well on perfect surfaces on the telly skews our perception of what's 'normal'.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A putting lesson is a good thing, especially if it's got inside your head. Two possibilities - you have a technical problem which the pro'll spot, or you don't and you'll be reassured that technically you're OK which should boost the confidence.

I had a lesson a while back, and it's surprising how many odd things can be going on in such a short swing that I would never have worked out for myself.

The last thing to remember is that greens are getting a bit soft and less consistent at this time of year and even two putts which are hit the same will track differently once over 3 feet in length. So don't let it get you down.

Plus, Peltz claims that 3 feet and in are high percentage putts, but even those from 4 to 5 feet have a much lower chance of success. Watching pros playing well on perfect surfaces on the telly skews our perception of what's 'normal'.

Good to hear thanks chap, yeah I reckon a putting lesson is needed all right but I'm not beating myself up too much about it now that the seasons over, Ill tip about over the winter playing matchplay and make afresh start next spring. Already have a few trips in the diary and doing everything I can to stop it escalating again! Cheers for that.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
a big ask to constantly hole 5 footers! Check the tour stats for those who do it for a living not just fun. If you had said 2/3 foot rather than 4/5 that would be a different matter IMO.
dont think you should be too depressed there are many of us who've had worse seasons. At least you buffered at some point in a qualifier and playing to H/cap at woodall is decent too.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
a big ask to constantly hole 5 footers! Check the tour stats for those who do it for a living not just fun. If you had said 2/3 foot rather than 4/5 that would be a different matter IMO.
dont think you should be too depressed there are many of us who've had worse seasons. At least you buffered at some point in a qualifier and playing to H/cap at woodall is decent too.

Thanks chap some of them were 3 all right but it was more to do with not making hardly any and missing so many, like I say a disappointing season especially as so many rounds were almost buffer, this was the one really I should have cut, but no point getting down about it! Anyone in favour of fast forwarding to March? :)

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks chap some of them were 3 all right but it was more to do with not making hardly any and missing so many, like I say a disappointing season especially as so many rounds were almost buffer, this was the one really I should have cut, but no point getting down about it! Anyone in favour of fast forwarding to March? :)

I like that fast forward to march idea! I'm in.
Played rubbish all year until a few lessons 6 weeks ago
Should of done it in April as I threatened! 3 lessons few range sessions and all back on track now the weathers turn
:( going to keep swinging this year rather than hibernating.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd get a lesson and make sure there is nothing wrong with the set up and the stroke. That will set the mind at rest. I tend to do a lot of practice at home a mirror. Of course my recent renewed love and ability to hole out may also be down to fitting this in my odyssey #9 but it may just be coincidence http://procoregolf.com/ :whistle::clap: