A course question

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just received the society calendar for the coming season and am seeking insider information on the tracks we are to play,

Aldwickbury (Harpenden)
- I've played this once, one of the first that I did, so retain some memory of it; the blind 1st, the fairway crossed by a hedgerow played from an elevated tee; the long, long, uphill 16th and I think a pond in front of the 18th.

Canons Brook (Harlow)

Aspley Guise (Nr Woburn)

North Middlesex (Whetstone)

Burghley Park (Stamford, Lincs)

There are two other courses to be named, plus a couple in France/Belgium and a possible/probable match in Germany (we have their trophy)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Don't know if this will be any good to you...

http://www.uk-golfguide.com/index.html?

I find it invaluable for looking up details of courses I have yet to play. As long as you know which county the course is in you can carry out a search and generally find any club you can name.
The thing I like best about it is that each course usually has reviews posted by people who have played there and give an honest opinion. Much better than reading a biased opinion by some magazine reporter who has been fed and watered, received a free green fee and paints wonderful pictures of something that turns out to resemble a goat track.
And most course entries also have links to the clubs official website (if they actually have one).
As I say, I find the website invaluable.
HTH
Rob

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Aldwickbury is the hardest course I've played (not difficult, I've played about 5)

But the greens are very undulating and the bunkers are really hard to get out of. I think I stopped scoring! Have fun

rob2

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Viscount,

I have played Canons Brook a couple of times. It isn`t too difficult and there are some interesting holes. The first has a small stream running across it about 190 - 200 yards down depending what tees you are playing off. Driving it leaves a short iron into the green (but is is a tight drive) but laying up will leave you about 170 in.

The 10th has an interesting tee shot as you tee off with a 6ft hedge about 10 yards in front of you (dont top it :)) you then walk through someones back garden to get to the fairway (mind the greenhouse!).

The 17th is my favorite. Its called Death or Glory but my mate and I have renamed it Sh*t or bust :D You tee off from a elevated tee to a narrow tree lined fairway which turns round to the right but has two streams running across it. The hole is only about 330 yards off of the yellows so you can either take an iron down the left hand side leaving yourself about 160 in or you can go balls out and stick a driver over the top of the tree on the right hand side. It takes a bit of balls (or stupidity)as you are hitting into an area that you cant see from the tee but that you know there is a stream in. The stream is about 245 yards from the yellow tees so may not be to much danger depending how long you are?

Finally the 18th is a toughie. Its a 500 yardish par 5 however you have to get 400 yards down the left hand side of the fairway in two before you can get a clear shot in to the green which is around to the right over a stream. Unless you are far enough down dont think about going for the green as it is protected by some massive trees that are waiting to catch your ball and then drop it in the stream.

Its not a bad course, however it does not have a range so dont plan on grooving youir swing pre-round.

I only work about a pitching wedge away from Canons Brook so if you ever want to get a practice round in to give you the edge on your society day send me a PM.

Good luck,

Rob2

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Burgley Park is only a few miles down the road from me. Not played there myself as is a private members club but reports from those who have tend to be good. Be careful about the course condition though as a number of holes were trashed by caravans during the Burghley Horse trials and were not due to re-open until about this time.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys,

Rob2, if I get a chance to get over your way I'll certainly buzz you.

Greg, luckily, there is time for Burghley to recover, providing there are no more horse trials between now and then