9 Hole Differentials in WHS

D-S

Visit site
I have got my head around most things in WHS I think: however, 9 hole scores I find difficult to understand. Even when looking at the manual and trying to do the resultant maths I struggle to come up with the same answer as the computer.
Can anyone, in simple terms please, explain how I can take an adjusted gross score and calculate the score differential?

wjemather

Visit site
SD = (113 / 9 hole Slope) x (Gross - (9 hole CR x 2) - PCC / 2))
With the "Gross" expanded/explained:

SD = (113 / 9 hole Slope) x {(Adjusted Gross Score + 9 hole net par score + 1) - (9 hole CR x 2) - (PCC / 2)}

Note: the "9 hole net par score" is calculated using the 18 hole course handicap for the 9 holes played (not the 9 hole handicap).

D-S

Visit site
Note: the "9 hole net par score" is calculated using the 18 hole course handicap for the 9 holes played (not the 9 hole handicap).

Sorry to be dim again but could you expand on this, how do you calculate the 9 hole net par score using an 18 hole course handicap when the player hasn’t played them?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Use the 18 hole handicap and the Stroke Index of the played 9 to determine where strokes are received. That gives the net par on each hole. Add 1 to the score for the first un-played hole. That gives the "9 hole net par score + 1"

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Sorry to be dim again but could you expand on this, how do you calculate the 9 hole net par score using an 18 hole course handicap when the player hasn’t played them?
Not dim at all. The 18-hole Course Handicap is calculated as follows:
CH = (Index x 9H Slope / 113) + {2 x (9H CR - 9H Par)}​
This handicap is then applied to the same 9H as have been played to give 9 net pars; the sum of these net pars is the "9H net par score".

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
SD = (113 / 9 hole Slope) x (Gross - (9 hole CR x 2) - PCC / 2))

I searched on google and it brought me to this post.. question on it.. I have two identical adjusted scores (from as far as I can tell) with no PCC applied on either, same slope, same tees but two different score differentials given?

wjemather

Visit site
I searched on google and it brought me to this post.. question on it.. I have two identical adjusted scores (from as far as I can tell) with no PCC applied on either, same slope, same tees but two different score differentials given?
Scaling up is dependent on your Course Handicaps for both 9 holes and 18 holes (for the same 9 played twice), so unless both remain the same, the resultant score differential can be different.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Scaling up is dependent on your Course Handicaps for both 9 holes and 18 holes (for the same 9 played twice), so unless both remain the same, the resultant score differential can be different.

So it's because some good scores dropped off my handicap so my 46 yesterday is a better score because my 9 hole handicap was 10 instead of 9 like it was on the previous?

wjemather

Visit site
So it's because some good scores dropped off my handicap so my 46 yesterday is a better score because my 9 hole handicap was 10 instead of 9 like it was on the previous?
Could be.
A small increase in 9-hole course handicap can reduce the handicap used for the scaling up 9 (when the 18-hole handicap - which isn't displayed anywhere - doesn't change) and result in a lower differential.

It's not that it's a better score though - it's the same score.

The lower SD is an anomaly of the chosen methodology that makes zero sense (although it would have made sense under the old system), but will be a thing of the past come April, when the calculation changes to use expected scores.

D-S

Visit site
The lower SD is an anomaly of the chosen methodology that makes zero sense (although it would have made sense under the old system), but will be a thing of the past come April, when the calculation changes to use expected scores.
But won't the scaling up use your exact HI (for the expected score on the remaining 9)at the time so if your HI has changed the SD would like chase a little bit?

wjemather

Visit site
But won't the scaling up use your exact HI (for the expected score on the remaining 9)at the time so if your HI has changed the SD would like chase a little bit?
Yes, expected scores (and differentials) will increase with HI, so the same actual score for 9 holes will produce increasing score differentials as HI increases - as it should.

It's the current method that generates anomalous score differentials (when queried, justification was based on UHS mentality of the same score being better for higher handicappers so the SD should be lower - which of course is utter nonsense with WHS).

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Here's a "what if" - what happens in the system when a player plays nine holes in the morning and the same nine holes in the evening, and scores the same (total) on each, entering the nine hole scores on completion of each?

wjemather

Visit site
Here's a "what if" - what happens in the system when a player plays nine holes in the morning and the same nine holes in the evening, and scores the same (total) on each, entering the nine hole scores on completion of each?
A score differential will be calculated for each 9-hole score using their handicap index on the day of play.